Thread: Never Trust Comic Sans!

Exclamation Never Trust Comic Sans!

Namaste HDF,

I dodged the cyber equivalent of a bullet today. Apparently the email account of a Hindu publication's editor I worked with in the past got hacked and started spewing bogus emails with a link to "important documents."

I almost got tricked into going to the link when I realized that the email was possibly bogus. As far as what tipped me off?

Almost the whole email was written in Comic Sans font.

I called the offices of the editor in question, and found out that his email was indeed hacked and sending out those bogus emails.

Moral of the story? NEVER TRUST COMIC SANS.

Re: Never Trust Comic Sans!

Pranam-s,

What was the intent of the hacktivity? Do you know the motives, by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Namaste HDF,

I dodged the cyber equivalent of a bullet today. Apparently the email account of a Hindu publication's editor I worked with in the past got hacked and started spewing bogus emails with a link to "important documents."

I almost got tricked into going to the link when I realized that the email was possibly bogus. As far as what tipped me off?

Almost the whole email was written in Comic Sans font.

I called the offices of the editor in question, and found out that his email was indeed hacked and sending out those bogus emails.

Moral of the story? NEVER TRUST COMIC SANS.
    Vannakkam.

I received it too, but knew it was bogus because of the way it was written. Sadasivanathaswami would never start an email without some invocation to God. I deleted it.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Pranam-s,

What was the intent of the hacktivity? Do you know the motives, by any chance?
    No idea, unfortunately. If the editors or anyone else know the motive, they haven't told me yet. The only thing I can guess is probably access to the email accounts of their contacts? The original email (since deleted) did say to log in at the link with one's email and password. (I obviously didn't do that.) And gaining access to one's email account can be used for any number of malicious purposes, not necessarily just political/religious ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    No idea, unfortunately. If the editors or anyone else know the motive, they haven't told me yet. The only thing I can guess is probably access to the email accounts of their contacts? The original email (since deleted) did say to log in at the link with one's email and password. (I obviously didn't do that.) And gaining access to one's email account can be used for any number of malicious purposes, not necessarily just political/religious ones.
    Pranam-s,

If you do find more information regarding this event, please let me know. Thank you.

Thread Information