Thread: Questions About God in Sanatana Dharma

Questions About God in Sanatana Dharma

Namaste

I've come back with more questions. I have a lot of them, but I'm trying not to ask all of them at once.

1. I read somewhere that God will accept anyone who is sincere and devoted to pursuing truth. Is that true? Even if that person has done something evil, like murdered another?

If that's true, I find it surprising, because I've always thought there's a point where no god will accept you until you reach a, say, "minimum point of acceptability". Or something like that.

2. Will any form of God accept anyone? What I mean is, could a person go to Shiva, or Krishna, Durga, etc. and be equally accepted by them all? Or is it possible a person could come to Shiva, only for Him to say, "Durga would be a much better choice for you."?

Thanks for your time.

Senebty (may you be healthy)

Re: Questions About God in Sanatana Dharma

IMO.
    When someone develops single pointed orientation and wants nothing but that God/Godess, they accept. i.e that person has surrendered to that God. Not for any selfish reasons or avoid past karma. That shows he has realized all his blunders etc. Still he has to go through his past karma but he won't accumulate more..so he can get liberated soon.

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by SatBast View Post
    1. I read somewhere that God will accept anyone who is sincere and devoted to pursuing truth. Is that true? Even if that person has done something evil, like murdered another?

If that's true, I find it surprising, because I've always thought there's a point where no god will accept you until you reach a, say, "minimum point of acceptability". Or something like that.
    The "minimum point of acceptability" for God is to sincerely devote oneself to Him. This does not mean that a person who commits a serious sin will be just easily relieved of responsibility for the offense committed.

2. Will any form of God accept anyone? What I mean is, could a person go to Shiva, or Krishna, Durga, etc. and be equally accepted by them all? Or is it possible a person could come to Shiva, only for Him to say, "Durga would be a much better choice for you."?
    One can be accepted by them all if he fulfills "minimum point of acceptability".

regards

Namaste

I've come back with more questions. I have a lot of them, but I'm trying not to ask all of them at once.

Thanks for your time.

Vannakkam Satbast:

Good questions. As always there will be a variety of answers, but I'll give you my POV.

1) Who is this 'anyone'? Is it this temporal personality attached to a name and body for this lifetime, or is it the soul, or the Self? God accepts the soul, and Self regardless, for they are both part of Him. He kind of is obliged to accept himself. The individual personality of this lifetime, well that's a little tougher. Burdened by the karma and guilt of a murder, for instance, would put that individual in a place where it might be difficult to accept himself, or feel worthy, and the laws of karma would have to be lived out, and through. Fortunately we do believe in reincarnation, and that we are not the 'person'. We Hindus don't generally believe in pure evil, just ignorance, or anava, or maya. Certainly God acknowledges that 'bad' things happen, he is God after all. I think what I'm trying to say is in Hinduism we just don't have this 'All is forgiven' idea you find in some other faiths. Debts are due and have to be paid. But there is an end to that.

2) God is God, and for the different sects, they are supreme or helpers. There aren't, from the deepest levels, different. However, different people are attracted to (or by) different versions. So if the beginning devotee feels an affinity to one or another, that's all fine. But as to one being more forgiving than another... I don't think so.

Hope this added clarity and not confusion.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste.

Thanks to everyone who answered. You've given me food for thought. There's soooo much to learn and see in Sanatana Dharma. No wonder we need so many lives to figure it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Satbast:

Good questions. As always there will be a variety of answers, but I'll give you my POV.

1) [snipped to keep this post from getting too long.] The individual personality of this lifetime, well that's a little tougher. Burdened by the karma and guilt of a murder, for instance, would put that individual in a place where it might be difficult to accept himself, or feel worthy, and the laws of karma would have to be lived out, and through. Fortunately we do believe in reincarnation, and that we are not the 'person'. We Hindus don't generally believe in pure evil, just ignorance, or anava, or maya. Certainly God acknowledges that 'bad' things happen, he is God after all. I think what I'm trying to say is in Hinduism we just don't have this 'All is forgiven' idea you find in some other faiths. Debts are due and have to be paid. But there is an end to that.
    So, between karma and guilt, you could actually, in a way, waste a lifetime, because you're unable to approach God? But it's not God doing this, it's the person?

Could the murderer find some way to "break through" his/her karma and maybe get on the correct path faster? Of course s/he would still have to suffer the consequences through more rebirths or something like that.

It never really occurred to me that karma could keep a person from reaching out to God in any one current life.

What about other, somewhat less serious things that might separate a person from God? Would God accept, for example, someone with an eating disorder if that person made a genuine effort to come to Him in devotion? How about someone with a self-hatred complex?

Sorry if my questions are silly. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this stuff.

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Namaste.
    So, between karma and guilt, you could actually, in a way, waste a lifetime, because you're unable to approach God? But it's not God doing this, it's the person?

Could the murderer find some way to "break through" his/her karma and maybe get on the correct path faster? Of course s/he would still have to suffer the consequences through more rebirths or something like that.

It never really occurred to me that karma could keep a person from reaching out to God in any one current life.

What about other, somewhat less serious things that might separate a person from God? Would God accept, for example, someone with an eating disorder if that person made a genuine effort to come to Him in devotion? How about someone with a self-hatred complex?
    You have made many assumptions here that are interesting, but will give you more consternation if not looked at from a different vantage point.
    If God is infinite, unbounded how can there be any separation? And it seems the Supreme is partial to choose various beings that have good
    eating functions vs. those with an 'eating disorder' ?

Where does this separation come from , where does the notion of partiality¹ come from ? Surely not from the Supreme. It must be found some place else and that is ~usually~ with the individual.

iti śivaṁ

1. partiality - unfair bias in favor of one thing or person compared with another; favoritism
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste.

Sorry if my questions are silly. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this stuff.

Vannakkam again. No doubt you're being reflective. I'm certainly no expert, yet still hold a POV.

I don't believe any lifetime is wasted. there is always purpose, such as to resolve some karma. Some people do however have that attitude, although I think it's incorrect thinking. "My life is already wasted, might as well waste it some more."

There is no 'breakthrough' of karma for the murderer. No Guru, no God, etc. can come along and save him from it. This idea (that you can be saved) is extremely Abrahamic, BTW. But of course the murderer can take a vow not to continue murdering. In my particular sect of Hinduism, we also have penance, like kavadi for example, which can accelerate the payback so to speak.

Nothing can stop a person from reaching out to God, other than that person's own mind thinking he's unworthy or falling into a negative abyss.

I don't see how an eating disorder and being a murderer are related. One is a disease, the other is an action borne of lower emotion. No doubt there are situations that are karmic debts, but God is always there, never goes away.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste.

Thanks to Yajvan and Eastern Mind. Things are making sense. It's difficult for me to say how or exactly what's making sense, but I'm less confused now.

I know my questions are odd, or even misguided. Some of my future questions will be that way, too, since I can be just a biiit thick-headed. Thanks for your patience in this matter! I'll get it eventually, one way or another.

Namaste.

My computer made a weird blip and won't let me post via quick reply (I think it didn't go through?) So I'm going to try posting from the quote/advanced window.

Thanks to Yajvan and Eastern Mind. Things are making sense. It's difficult for me to say how or exactly what's making sense, but I'm less confused now.

I know my questions are odd, or even misguided. Some of my future questions will be that way, too, since I can be just a biiit thick-headed. Thanks for your patience in this matter! I'll get it eventually, one way or another.

Thread Information