Thread: Teacher looking for translation

Red Face Teacher looking for translation

Hello HDF Members,
    Thank you for letting me become part of your forum... I have enjoyed looking through the various threads and learning more about this site over the last week..
    I am a teacher, practicing and teaching Hatha yoga. I am deeply immersed in the practice and would like to show my devotion by getting a tattoo in sanskrit meaning: "balance"
    Thus far, I have come across a few different translations. I would like this particular meaning to signify the "balance of mind and body"
    I am having a difficult time finding a translation - and it is of utmost importance that the translation is correct.
    Can anyone please provide this translation for me here?

Thank you for your time and consideration - I look forward to hearing a reply!

Namaste

Re: Teacher looking for translation

Namaste,

Sometimes it is difficult to find an exact equivalent of a word in another language. There might be something out there that someone can come up with, but the closest that I can think of is the adjective that describes the state one is in when balanced - सन्तोश - content. In general सन्तोश would signify being content because of mind and body being in balance, but in specific cases it could also mean being content when one's specific need/desire is taken care of, as in a hungry person becoming सन्तोश after getting a meal, although the correct word under that condition would be त्रिप्त - satiated. So it is a bit tricky. Hope someone can come up with an alternate, more accurate one to one translation.

Pranam.

Thread Information