Thread: Ishta Devata

Ishta Devata

Namaste,

I find the concept of ishta devata within Hinduism to be beautiful, and I would love to hear from members here about what this concept means to you personally? How did you choose your deity? Or perhaps should I say, how did your deity choose you?

Pranam.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Re: Ishta Devata

Quote Originally Posted by fem_phoenix1109 View Post
    Namaste,

I find the concept of ishta devata within Hinduism to be beautiful, and I would love to hear from members here about what this concept means to you personally? How did you choose your deity? Or perhaps should I say, how did your deity choose you?

Pranam.
    Vannakkam fp:

Here is another thread http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...ighlight=ishta where it was discussed at some length. I think there are a couple more around too, but I couldn't find them.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Pranam.
    Pranam-s,

If I may, with your blessings, I would like to offer a Vedic perspective:

The word "Ishta" has its origin in Vedic Sanskrit. Unlike the current and Sanskrit application of "cherished", "Ishta" in Vedic literally means sacred.

So, "Ishta-Devatā", to me, does not mean "Cherished-God". It rather means "Sacred-God", "That God, Who is Sacred [to me]".

For me, a better compound, in terms of equivalency, would be: "ishTottama" - which would be "most sacred, most desired".

This would be, for me, the Shri Vishve-Devah, the All-Gods, the auspicious powers that come from all sides, unhindered, unviolated, unchallenged, etc.

I can't really explain how I chose Them or how They chose me...

...for Rta, or the Order of Things, is just what It is...however, my devotion is the Satya (truth) of that Rta.

Namaste,

Pranam.
    Well, that was so simple. I started loving one among the various deities introduced to me by my loving mother.

Or, as you said, one among those deities started loving me from my early childhood.
    ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

Thread Information