Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dear European Hindus, Friends

Re: Dear European Hindus, Friends

Namaste
    Sorry you are right we shouldnt debate here.
    "Names and forms are like bangles and braclets and Vishnu is like the Gold." - Adi Shankara

Vannakkam: The latest edition of Hinduism Today which came in my mail today has a large section on Hinduism in Europe. I haven't read it yet, but will eventually.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: The latest edition of Hinduism Today which came in my mail today has a large section on Hinduism in Europe. I haven't read it yet, but will eventually.

Aum Namasivaya
    Hello EM,

I'm just following up:

Were you able to read that section on Hinduism in Europe by any chance?

Namaste,

I picked up the latest issue of Hinduism Today in my mailbox this morning and found that the cover story is: Hinduism in Europe! Check it out.

It's the January/February/March 2014 issue. I'm not sure if it's already up online or not. I still like reading magazines the old-fashioned way!

Pranams and best wishes.
    "One who makes a habit of prayer and meditation will easily overcome all difficulties and remain calm and unruffled in the midst of the trials of life." (Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post

Aum Namasivaya
    Great minds think alike! I did not notice your post when I submitted mine.

Shanti.
    "One who makes a habit of prayer and meditation will easily overcome all difficulties and remain calm and unruffled in the midst of the trials of life." (Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Hello EM,

I'm just following up:

Were you able to read that section on Hinduism in Europe by any chance?
    Vannakkam: No, I haven't read it yet. But in a month or so it will be free on-line. I followed the stories a bit as the editor traveled through Europe dong the interviews, etc. ... on the Himalayan Academy homepage.

Aum Namasivaya

Greetings,

A very interesting article about European Hindus and Asian Hindu diaspora in Europe: click me to read.

Furthermore, the following article should be of important concern and intrigue for Western Hindus that are worried or curious about the nature of Hindu identity in India: click to read this interesting article.

(important note for the person who brought these two to my attention: thank you)

Quote Originally Posted by the sadhu View Post
    How very enlightened trying to insult people, anyone who insults people they don't isn't worth listening to, they obviously have no understanding of Dharma as Yama or positive conduct is a sign of a yogi. insults are not impressive to anyone

If you want to debate dvaita or advaita then you can provide historical evidence to support Whateva claim you make
    Our emotions cloud our judgement
    I'm sorry, but anyone trying to insult a respected medieval AchArya without any reason and making claims that the AchArya in question was "convinced against the teachings of the veda-s" solely because he/she disagrees with his philosophy, shouldn't really be attacking other individuals or accusing them of lacking vinaya. I don't want to get in an argument, but resorting to such extreme comments certainly doesn't give you the "moral" upper hand.
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Namaste Sudas Paijavana,
    I grew up in Germany for 29 years and lived in England since 7: my experience of Hinduism in either country is exactly like IcySupreme described
    Best regards,
    Padma

Quote Originally Posted by IcySupreme View Post
    Namaskar.

In the United Kingdom, Hinduism may as well not exist. As with most other places Bhuddism is far more popular. I've conducted primary and secondary research and in general there are more hinduism/spirituality resources emerging in the USA. I'm not taking size into consideration though. Of course UK is a small island. Furthermore - most people are ignorant to the fundamentals of hinduism including our own people, so how will the surrounding people of other faiths and backgrounds understand? They think it is a faith with millions of gods with multiple heads and arms and that we beleive people reincarnate as insects and so forth. The typical stereotypes. Abrahamic faiths also tend to spread propoganda, for example the temple where mice run free, and many other misinterpreted scriptural references and occurences. Every single Atheist I've engaged in conversation about Hinduism has had a indifferent/negative outlook on it, when I actually explain its function and movement they seem to find a natural affinity towards it. The poor information flow is the worst thing plaguing Sanatana Dharma.

Regardless, Hinduism exists, but the state is childlike & poor. The only thriving community is ISKCON, that too, quite small.

EDIT : How can I forget how I was taught Hinduism in Religious Education in school - Innacurate & poor. I couldn't dispute the points then because I didn't know myself. Quite pathetic. The caste system was passed off as a fact, bad memories. The cycle of information that is regurgitated for Hinduism is many times very poor, especially with the abrahamic misconceptions. That individual was Christian, I'm sure he had external influences. However he eventually learned accurate information about Sikhism (essentially a hindu school of thought) and liked it! Oh, what a odd paradigm. There needs to be a reinvigoration of Vedic culture in the correct manner some way or the other.

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by IcySupreme View Post
    ......The poor information flow is the worst thing plaguing Sanatana Dharma.

Regardless, Hinduism exists, but the state is childlike & poor. The only thriving community is ISKCON, that too, quite small.

There needs to be a reinvigoration of Vedic culture in the correct manner some way or the other.
    Thanks for your comments. I am sorry that the older generation has failed you. Old foggies are content with occasional pujas and putting a tilak on their forehead and declaring themselves to be Hindus. The ones with a little drive observe different festivals and come to forums like this one to try to correct some of the misconceptions, but that is about all. The resurgence/re-invigoration of the Vedic dharma has to come from the younger generation, from people like you who have the desire, can learn and articulate concepts in the language that others around you understand.

ISKCON followers have brought Hinduism to the doorsteps of the Westerners. Their devotees have been busy practicing and familiarizing others with their practices and building new temples here and in India. But, our people, instead of supporting them in the spirit of Hindu unity, never miss an opportunity to take shots at them. Kind of sad, but that is the way things are.

Quote Originally Posted by the sadhu View Post
    ......all paths lead to God ........
    Allow me to present what I have brought to this forum before.
    Different religions are different aspiring paths to God. But these paths are like trails on and around a mountain. Some trails merely circumambulate around the base of the mountain, others take you to viewing areas at different heights and one trail may take you to the top of the mountain for a grand and clear view of all around you. As all trails DO NOT take you to the top, so do different paths not lead you to God. It is just a misinformed statement that many of us say because we are ignorant about the different paths. Repeating something baseless a million times will not make it right.

Pranam.

Thread Information