hari o
~~~~~~
namasté

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
... why even bring in the notion that the world is illusion or māyā. What contribution does it have for the adhikārin¹ or for that matter the paśu¹? Surely all the siddhānta-s could stand on their own merit without the need for māyā.

One view is this. If I tell you that the diamond ring you have on your finger is fake, and the setting is not gold, it is made from some tin and lead, its value to you is reduced substantially. So much so you think, why do I even have this ? Why burden my hand with something that is just glass and tin ?
The world offered as the possibility of illusion is the same . The wise inform us , finite things ( the world and its offers) do not contain happiness¹ - why then pursue it ?

So, yajvan what is one to do ? Become a rock and do nothing ? This always becomes a reasonable question to ask. I will see what offers other HDF members care to offer.

iti śivaṁ

1. This wisdom can be found in the chāndogya upaniad, where sanatkumāra is instructing nārada and says, nālpe sukham asti or finite (alpa) things do not (na) contain happiness (suka).