Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meditation help

Re: Meditation help

All you need to do is sit there and blank out. I find the process simple, but gaining momentum into a long mediation period is somewhat hard in a sitting position, so I meditate while lying down since it seems to be more conducive to getting into a meditative state. While lying down, I am able to meditate for several hours.

As for my usual mind set and emotional set, I am normally neutral, therefore I am not thinking or feeling anything most of the time, so therefore I am mostly meditating during my waking hours.

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    All you need to do is sit there and blank out. I find the process simple, but gaining momentum into a long mediation period is somewhat hard in a sitting position, so I meditate while lying down since it seems to be more conducive to getting into a meditative state. While lying down, I am able to meditate for several hours.

As for my usual mind set and emotional set, I am normally neutral, therefore I am not thinking or feeling anything most of the time, so therefore I am mostly meditating during my waking hours.
    Good that you are 'normally neutral' and are in a perpetual meditative state. This thread deals with people who drive in busy traffic, who go out to make a living, get pressured by customers and/or bosses, have to worry about paying their bills, have to worry about raising children the right way and a million other things. So, average people are NOT 'in neutral' and need to 'blank out' a couple of times a day to calm down. They need pointers in 'entering' a meditative state when their minds have been going on at 100 miles an hour. And they need to do it at their place of work sitting up, not lying down in a hallway. Renunciates and ascetics already know how to meditate. It is the common householder who is all wound up, stressed out and agitated due to the stresses of life who needs to find a way to calm down. My being normally in neutral state does not help them in getting into the same state one bit. Healthy people don't need to see a doctor, only the sick ones do.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 24 December 2013 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Good that you are 'normally neutral' and are in a perpetual meditative state. This thread deals with people who drive in busy traffic, who go out to make a living, get pressured by customers and/or bosses, have to worry about paying their bills, have to worry about raising children the right way and a million other things. So, average people are NOT 'in neutral' and need to 'blank out' a couple of times a day to calm down. They need pointers in 'entering' a meditative state when their minds have been going on at 100 miles an hour. And they need to do it at their place of work sitting up, not lying down in a hallway. Renunciates and ascetics already know how to meditate. It is the common householder who is all wound up, stressed out and agitated due to the stresses of life who needs to find a way to calm down. My being normally in neutral state does not help them in getting into the same state one bit. Healthy people don't need to see a doctor, only the sick ones do.

Pranam.
    Namaste Believer

Very realistic. I am sure you will agree that if these gṛhastha (householders) resorted to Hari Kirtan, there life will be so beautiful, and eventually, thanks to HarinAm, they will break the knots (granthI) of attachment (AsaktI), so then they will be calm about paying bills and raising children or driving in traffic at a later stage.

This is so because all toubles become insignificant and duty becomes devotional service, once Mukunda MAdhav Govinda is in their lives and heartṣ So much, that the person who diliberately tries hard to agitate you gets angry at your indifference and stomps away

Meanwhile, while they are NOT YET in such a state, all they have to do is let Hari kirtan run in the mind, aloud, on a simple music player or the computer, while driving or paying bills or at home while with family. mṛdunga or not, kartAL or not, sankirtan or not, together or alone, it matters noṭ.

At work? they can have Mukunda and His nAma anywhere and everywhere, (not just on visible screen-saver wallpaper or on the desk), and nobody needs to know

Mainly this will take all the worries away due to change in perspective and so the mind will not be on the worrisome thoughts anymore. Leave the worry-burden at KRshNaś Lotus Feeṭ.

So, I would say why bang the head against the wall ? This goes totally with what silence_speaks has been saying - 'first become meditative', then it will be naturaḷ.

Our way of "first becoming meditative" is this Hari sharaN (taking shelter of Hari) while simultaneously letting it sink in --- that this mind, thoughts, personality, image, desire that everything should turn out right, desire that everyone should call me good, ... are not 'me', are of no consequence, are not real, are not the shAsvat (eternal) or ultimate Trutḥ. Only the original pure consciousness, the SELF iṣ. The SELF is certainly not all this, no. (This is the "shadow mistaken as ghost" in silenceś' post # )

bhAgvat dharma.
    science of bhakti yog. dnyAna yog.

hari bol hari bol hari hari bol , mukunda mAdhav keshav govinda boḷ...
    shri KRshNa govinda rAm shri madhusudan, giridhara gopinAtha madana mohan,
    hare harAya namo KRshNa yAdavAya namo, yAdavAya mAdhavAya keshavAya namo...
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

All the writings above are good, well intentioned and properly directed, yet one must ask , what is the state or condition of the abhyāsin¹ or śiṣya¹ ? We can consider 3 + 1 types:

• The first is that student that is like wood... it takes substantinal effort (tapas) to ignite the the flame of sādhana or said another way, to reduce/eliminate the vāsanā-s (impressions in the mind) that are in play.
    • The second type of student is that of milk - it takes some effort in churning, yet cream is produced from the effort.
    • The third type is that of a gem - just some polishing is needed for this gem to be clear and reflect the brilliance of Being.
    • The fourth is that where little-to-nothing needs to be done; just a nudge from the teacher, or an insight will be enough for
      this fully-ripened being to re-recognize his/her real status (ātma-svarupa¹).
    iti śiva

words
    • abhyāsa - initially means reaching to; its secondary meaning is repeated or permanent exercise and also means the effort of the mind to remain in its unmodified condition of purity (sattva).
    • śiṣya - student
    • svarūpa - one's own form or shape.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

All the writings above are good, well intentioned and properly directed, yet one must ask , what is the state or condition of the abhyāsin¹ or śiṣya¹ ? We can consider 3 + 1 types:

• The first is that student that is like wood... it takes substantinal effort (tapas) to ignite the the flame of sādhana or said another way, to reduce/eliminate the vāsanā-s (impressions in the mind) that are in play.
    • The second type of student is that of milk - it takes some effort in churning, yet cream is produced from the effort.
    • The third type is that of a gem - just some polishing is needed for this gem to be clear and reflect the brilliance of Being.
    • The fourth is that where little-to-nothing needs to be done; just a nudge from the teacher, or an insight will be enough for
      this fully-ripened being to re-recognize his/her real status (ātma-svarupa¹).
    iti śiva

words
    • abhyāsa - initially means reaching to; its secondary meaning is repeated or permanent exercise and also means the effort of the mind to remain in its unmodified condition of purity (sattva).
    • śiṣya - student
    • svarūpa - one's own form or shape.
    Namaste,

These are excellent points. I have slightly different e.gs

1. Wet wood -takes time to catch fire and extinguish
    2. Dry wood - immediately catches fire, but burning takes time
    3. Fire Cracker - Blasts immediately

Hari Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Friends,
    My take is this: what purpose does it serve to categorize people thus ?
    All that is required is to aid the student see the Truth.
    This kind of categorization can only create complexes in people ... inferiority or superiority: both are dangerous.

Lets just be simple beings ... may be some get faster and some take a little time ... but in essence we are all that Self alone. So lets concentrate on how to help each other through simple clues and suggestions that can take them a long way.

Even if sama, dama etc are lacking in some ways... whats needed is the suggestion as to how one may improve there and correct oneself.

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Namaste,

There are several good points raised in previous replies.
    As far as categorization is concerned, I am thinking the point of
    mentioning was simply to elaborate that one who wishes to provide good
    information when questions are asked must understand not only the
    question, but the questioner- "To each according to their ability".

This is why yajvan's first reply is significant; "None have asked 'What do
    you wish to accomplish?'"

In the absence of specifics, such a reply as Indiaspirituality's first in this
    thread can certainly do no harm. Since the OP has not replied, this seems
    to have become more a theoretical and indirect conversation, rather than
    an attempt to answer the OP. Yet the potential audience must always be
    supposed to consist of any mixture of knowledge/ignorance, yes?

Such is the nature of the Internet forum, as opposed to interaction in
    person- the lack of context requires far more patience and caution, for
    the equivalent level of clarity for all parties involved

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

You have been given advice, but none have asked, what do you wish to accomplish?
    Some plausible answers in ascending degree of brilliance:

• I do not know what I wish to accomplish.
    • Others are doing it, it seems right to do.
    • I wish to calm the mind
    • I wish to gain peace
    • tajjaḥ saṃskāro 'nyasaṃskārapratibandhī || 50 from patañjali’s yogadarśana (the yoga sutras of Patañjali).
      • tajjaḥ = sprung from or ~ therefrom~
      • saṃskāro 'nya = saṃskāra + anya
      • saṃskāra = memory , mental impression or recollection , impression on the mind of acts done in a former state
      • anya = other
      • pratibandhī = prati + bandhī = again , in return + prey , spoils
        • prati = again , in return
        • bandhī = prey , spoils
    • hence,
      therefrom this impression ( i.e. of samādhi) any other impressions (saṃskāra-s) are spoiled ( or becomes prey)
      • or, I wish to remove passed impressions and establish samādhi perpetually.
    • I wish to have the Self reveal itSelf to Itself.
    iti śiva
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Dear Yajvan ji,

To my knowledge there is just one reason behind all these:
    I am a lacking individual.

"I do not know what I wish to accomplish."
    = I lack something that I do not know.
    "
    Others are doing it, it seems right to do."
    = I lack something that others have and that something can help me!
    "
    I wish to calm the mind"
    = I lack calmness of mind
    "
    I wish to gain peace "
    = I lack peace.
    "
    I wish to remove passed impressions and establish samādhi perpetually."
    = I lack a vasana-less samadhi state
    /* Ashtavakra gita says: this indeed is your bondage that you try for samadhi! */
    "
    I wish to have the Self reveal itSelf to Itself."
    = I lack a Self that reveals itself to itself.
    /* why? Is not the Self Every Revealed ? Has it got to reveal anew ? */

"I Lack" is the problem.

Solution is to inquire "Who Lacks"!

Love!
    Silence

Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Pranams wise Sages,

I find the Buddhist traditions uphold a good process for meditation, and we as students Veda know that this tradition was born from the yogis and acetics that practiced Dhyana

http://www.acchttp://www.accesstoins.../wheel351.html

I hope this can be helpful

Dandavats in the dust of all the Sadhakas

Markandeya

Thread Information