Thread: Changing Affiliation of Sect?

Changing Affiliation of Sect?

Namaste

How common, rare, impossible is it for a serious Hindu (not a fly by night) who has been a practitioner of a particular sect for an entire life, then suddenly realize that you are more comfortable through association with devotees who really seem to welcome you as part of the family of another sect, then switch from one to the other? For example from Saurya to Vaishnav, or from Saiva to Shakta?

Is such a thing considered an outrage, or impossible? Obviously it is not common, but does it happen? Has anyone ever undergone such a change, and is this a great "sin"?

Just wondering...

Om Namah Sivaya

Re: Changing Affiliation of Sect?

Why would it matter, not to over simplify it but God is God, no matter which sampradaya you pick.

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste

How common, rare, impossible is it for a serious Hindu (not a fly by night) who has been a practitioner of a particular sect for an entire life, then suddenly realize that you are more comfortable through association with devotees who really seem to welcome you as part of the family of another sect, then switch from one to the other? For example from Saurya to Vaishnav, or from Saiva to Shakta?

Is such a thing considered an outrage, or impossible? Obviously it is not common, but does it happen? Has anyone ever undergone such a change, and is this a great "sin"?

Just wondering...

Om Namah Sivaya
    Vannakkam: I've never met anyone who's done it, but that 'fly by night' idea is open for debate. Any serious 'not fly by night' person I've ever met never changed, or I can't imagine them changing. If they do change, one might say they are 'fly by night'.

But you never know. As in marriages nobody in a long term relationship sees the divorce coming. So I suppose anything is possible.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste

Just wondering...

Om Namah Sivaya
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I've never met anyone who's done it, but that 'fly by night' idea is open for debate. Any serious 'not fly by night' person I've ever met never changed, or I can't imagine them changing. If they do change, one might say they are 'fly by night'.

But you never know. As in marriages nobody in a long term relationship sees the divorce coming. So I suppose anything is possible.

Aum Namasivaya
    Pranam-s, SF & EM:

I always understood that sect renunciation was seen culturally, religiously, theologically, and scripturally as morally violating and karmically negative.

On the other hand, maybe it's negligible...

Quote Originally Posted by the sadhu View Post
    Why would it matter, not to over simplify it but God is God, no matter which sampradaya you pick.
    Pranam-s, the sadhu:

If that was the case, there wouldn't be any Sampradaya-s. The fact that they even exist shows that sect affiliation and sect renunciation both matter.

... oh I am sure it is not common, but I think it does happen. So I am wondering if any member on this forum, in particular Indian-born, who changed sect affiliation later in life?

Has anyone? Not looking for specifics as to why, just a general perspective of the experience.

Thanks in advance!

Om Namah Sivaya

I believe sometimes, when someone finds a guru, he dedicates himself to the path and teachings of his guru regardless of his past affiliation.
    uttama hañā vaiṣṇava habe nirabhimāna
    jīve sammāna dibe jāni' 'kṛṣṇa'-adhiṣṭhāna

"Although a Vaiṣṇava is a most exalted person, he is prideless and gives
    all respect to everyone, knowing everyone to be the resting place of Kṛṣṇa."
    -Śrī Caitanya Caritāmṛta Antya 20.25

Angry Re: Changing Affiliation of Sect?

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Pranam-s, SF & EM:

I always understood that sect renunciation was seen culturally, religiously, theologically, and scripturally as morally violating and karmically negative.

On the other hand, maybe it's negligible...

Pranam-s, the sadhu:

If that was the case, there wouldn't be any Sampradaya-s. The fact that they even exist shows that sect affiliation and sect renunciation both matter.
    Well that's not necessarily true, since organisation is a human instinct.
    For example Lao Tzu the teacher of Taoism said that his teachings are not a religion but only methods of understanding the whole and direct truth, so Taoism is not a religion.
    And yet followers of Lao tzu are called taoists. So it accidentally becomes a religion.
    Anyone who follows any belief system is put into a duality, and thus have formed an in group and an out group.

A sampradaya really in essence is a group of people who believe a certain way. But the teaching does not effect God, who is the same always. So God called Shiva and God called Vishnu, are just two ways to look at one Brahmin.

Since Veda can never be created or destroyed, even if the four revealed Vedas were lost, Brahman would be rediscovered by sages and new Vedas would be written. Creating new sects to replace the old ones.

Thus sampradayas only matter on a relative level as in how to pray or how to think, but in the end God Is God who cares how you find em.

Namasthe All

I like what Deva_Dasi said
    "I believe sometimes, when someone finds a guru, he dedicates himself to the path and teachings of his guru regardless of his past affiliation."

For example, during the time of Shri Ramana Maharshi, people moved from thier old practices to who am i taught by him.

I think one should be clear about his goal and keep on striving to achieve till he/she finds a proper system and Guru to reach.

Hinduism is so versatile and many Isms came from this due to this only otherwise no body could have written anything other than Vedas. Have courage and seek the truth till you realize in this life itself.

GOD is always giving even new ways to practice and reach HIM. Creation and life are not static but dynamic.

This is my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Devi Dasi View Post
    I believe sometimes, when someone finds a guru, he dedicates himself to the path and teachings of his guru regardless of his past affiliation.
    Vannakkam: Yes, this is an excellent point, and now that I think of it, I probably know some people who have done just that. I'd have to chat with them more though to be sure.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information