Thread: Shrimati Radharani’s Nama is like a hidden jewel in the scriptures.

Shrimati Radharani’s Nama is like a hidden jewel in the scriptures.

Hare Krsna! Here are some very precious insights:

Text: “idaṁ hyanvojasāsutaṁ rādhānāṁ pate pivā tvasya girvaṇaḥ” (Ṛig Veda)
    Meaning: “O Shree Krishna, husband of Radha! Just as the gopīs worship You; every syllable of Ved mantras also worship You.”

Text: “tvaṁ nṛichaksaṁ vṛiṣhabhānupoorvīḥ kṛiṣhṇāsvagne aruṣhovibhāhi” (Ṛig Veda)
    Meaning: In this mantra, `Vrishabhanu’, father of Radha, is mentioned as having a conversation with Krishna.

Text: “yasyā radha-reṇuṁ pādayorviśhvabhartā dharate moordhnī” (Atharva Vediya Rādhikopaniṣhad)
    Meaning: “Radha is that Entity, the dust of whose lotus feet, the Master of the Universe places on His head.”

Text: “yathā rādhā priyā viṣhṇoḥ” (Padma Purāṇa)
    Meaning: “Radha is the dearest of Vishnu.”

Text: “rādhā vāmāṁśha saṁbhootā mahālakṣhmīrprakīrtitā” (Nārad Purāṇa)
    Meaning: “Remembering Radha showers the blessings of Lakshmi.”

Text” “tatrāpi rādhikā śhaśhvat” (Ādi Purāṇa)
    Meaning: “Radhika is the only one who is permanent.”

Text: “rukmiṇī dwāravatyāṁcha rādhā vṛindāvane vane” (Matsya Purāṇa)
    Meaning: “Rukmini waits at the doorway (for Krishna), hoping to re-create Radha’s Vrindavan.”

Text: “rādhnoti sakalān kāmān tena rādhā prakīrtitaḥ” (Devī Bhāgavat Purāṇa)
    Meaning: “Remembering Radha can fulfill all heart’s desires.”

Text: “ādau rādhāṁ samuchchārya paśhchātkṛiṣhṇaṁ parātparam” (Brahma Vaivartak Purāṇa)
    Meaning: “Radha is the complete essence of Krishna.”

Text: “kāmayāmaha etasya śhrīmatpādarajaḥ śhriyaḥ, kuchakuṅkumagandhāḍhyaṁ moordhnā voḍhuṁ gadābhṛitaḥ” (Śhrīmad Bhāgavatam 10.83.42)
    Meaning: “The Queens of Dwarka are desiring for the dust of Radha’s feet, because that dust has kumkum and sandal paste from Krishna’s forehead when he placed His head on her feet in declaration of His love.”

(Excerpt from Srila Prabhupada's Purport: "...They simply want the dust from Śrī Kṛṣṇa’s feet, which Goddess Śrī herself worships. Śrīla Viśvanātha Cakravartī tells us that the goddess of fortune mentioned here is not Lakṣmī, the consort of Nārāyaṇa. After all, the ācārya explains, Goddess Lakṣmī could not attain the direct association of Kṛṣṇa even after performing extended austerities, as Uddhava states: nāyaṁ śrīyo ’ṅga u nitānta-rateḥ prasādaḥ (Bhāg. 10.47.60). Rather, the Śrī referred to here is the supreme goddess of fortune identified by the Bṛhad-gautamīya-tantra:

devī kṛṣṇa-mayī proktā
    rādhikā para-devatā
    sarva-lakṣmī-mayī sarva
     kāntiḥ sammohinī parā

“The transcendental goddess Śrīmatī Rādhārāṇī is the direct counterpart of Lord Śrī Kṛṣṇa. She is the central figure for all the goddesses of fortune. She possesses all the attractiveness to attract the all-attractive Personality of Godhead. She is the primeval internal potency of the Lord.”

Srimad Bhagavatam 10.83.41-42)

http://journey2light.wordpress.com/2...gita-govindam/

“Shrila Prabhupada has addresses the subject of Radha's name in the Bhagavatam in several places. In CC Madhya 8.100 Ramananda Raya cites SB 10.30.28:

anayaradhito nunam
    bhagavan harir isvarah
    yan no vihaya govindah
    prito yam anayad rahah

"[When the gopis began to talk among themselves, they said:] 'Dear friends, the gopi who has been taken away by Krishna to a secluded place must have worshiped the Lord more than anyone else.'"

In his purport Shrila Prabhupada writes:

"The name Radha is derived from this verse (SB 10.30.28), from the words anayaradhitah, meaning "by Her the Lord is worshiped." Sometimes the critics of Shrimad-Bhagavatam find it difficult to find Radharani's holy name in that book, but the secret is disclosed here in the word aradhita, from which the name Radha has come. Of course, the name of Radharani is directly mentioned in other Puranas. This gopi's worship of Krishna is topmost, and therefore Her name is Radha, or 'the topmost worshiper.'"

Although Radharani's name is only given in an indirect way in the Bhagavatam, rasika Vaishnavas see Her presence in each and every verse. Sanatana Gosvami, Jiva Gosvami and Vishvanatha Chakravarti have given many purports showing how Sukadeva Gosvami has given Radharani's name in an indirect way. In his commentary on the first verse of the Bhagavatam Jiva gives a long explanation of how the verse is referring to Radha. A few other examples of Sukadeva's indirect references to Radha follow:

In SB 10.32.4 Sukadeva has said, "kacit karambujam saurer jagrhe 'njalina - one of them seized Krishna's hand in her folded palms." Kacit refers to "*one* of them". That one is Radharani.

SB 10.30.38 describes:
    evam uktah priyam aha
    skandha aruhyatam iti
    tatas cantardadhe krishnah
    sa vadhur anvatapyata

"After being addressed by a particular gopi, Krishna told Her, "Climb up on My shoulder." Saying this He suddenly disappeared. Sa vadhur anvatapyata - His beloved consort (Radharani) then immediately felt great remorse."

SB 10.30.26 describes how after Krishna left the rasa dance with one special gopi the other gopis went searching for "vadhvah"- that special gopi (Radharani).

In the Bhramara-gita, SB 10.47.11, Sukadeva describes:
    kacin madhukaram drstva
    dhyayanti krishna-sangamam
    priya-prasthapitam dutam
    kalpayitvedam abravit

"*One* of the gopis, while meditating on Her previous association with Krishna, saw a honeybee before Her and imagined it to be a messenger sent by Her beloved. Thus She spoke as follows."

The word "kacin" in this verse, meaning "one of the gopis" refers to Radha.

Aside from the Bhagavatam, Radharani is described elaborately in Brahma-vaivarta, Padma, and Narada Puranas as well as Garga Samhita. In the 4th chapter of Ujjvala-nilamani, "Shri Radha-prakaranam" texts 3 and 4, Rupapada cites the Gopala-tapani Upanisad, Uttara-khanda where Radha is called Gandharva and the Rg Veda-parisista where Her name Radha is mentioned. There She is described as the consort of Madhava."

http://nitaaiveda.com/Compiled_and_I..._the_Vedas.htm
    rādhikā hayena kṛṣṇera praṇaya-vikāra
    svarūpa-śakti — 'hlādinī' nāma yāńhāra
    Śrīmatī Rādhikā is the transformation of Kṛṣṇa's love.
    She is His internal energy called hlādinī.

- Śrī Caitanya Caritāmṛta Ādi 4.59

Chakrini Devi Dasi ~ Radha Ramana
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmV7ZO-dUHU
    uttama hañā vaiṣṇava habe nirabhimāna
    jīve sammāna dibe jāni' 'kṛṣṇa'-adhiṣṭhāna

"Although a Vaiṣṇava is a most exalted person, he is prideless and gives
    all respect to everyone, knowing everyone to be the resting place of Kṛṣṇa."
    -Śrī Caitanya Caritāmṛta Antya 20.25

Re: Shrimati Radharani’s Nama is like a hidden jewel in the scriptures.

This is from memory, there could be mistakes,

In Jayadeva Swami's Gita-Govindam (although its not a scripture), he has reference to Smt. Radharani. He calls in one paragraph that bhagwan Sri Krishna is missing Smt. Radha so badly that he craves for her 'sparsha' or touch and asks Radha to place her tender feet on his own head (bhagwan's head). (Symbolically, it is said this reminds one of the duty of bhagwan to elevate their spiritual status to that of the Sahasrara chakra or 'mukthi' denoted here by bhagwan placing Radha - jeevatma's feet above his own head).

Some orthodox bhagawathas of Kashi are said to have opposed to what Swami Jayadeva had written here and asked him to throw his Gita-Govindam to the river. And that, if the work is true, it would float. And, indeed it is said, Gita Govindam did not sink, it floated! (And they also say that personally mother Ganga devi emerged and acknowledged the supremacy and truth of the work).

Jai Jai Ram Krishna Hare!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Devi Dasi View Post
    Hare Krsna! Here are some very precious insights:
    Pranam-s,

Namaste, Devi Dasi. Can you please provide scriptural citations of the following? I noticed there weren't any citations of Mandala number, hymn number, and verse number (e.g., R.V.X.X.X). I would like to confirm these verses from the site you cited. Thank you.

Text: “idaṁ hyanvojasāsutaṁ rādhānāṁ pate pivā tvasya girvaṇaḥ” (Ṛig Veda)
    Meaning: “O Shree Krishna, husband of Radha! Just as the gopīs worship You; every syllable of Ved mantras also worship You.”

Text: “tvaṁ nṛichaksaṁ vṛiṣhabhānupoorvīḥ kṛiṣhṇāsvagne aruṣhovibhāhi” (Ṛig Veda)
    Meaning: In this mantra, `Vrishabhanu’, father of Radha, is mentioned as having a conversation with Krishna.
    Never mind, Devi Dasi-ji. I found them.

idáṃ hí ánu ójasā sutáṃ rādhānãm pate píbā tú asyá girvaṇaḥ (R.V.3.51.10)

^The above is found in Mandala 3, hymn 51, verse 10. This hymn is revealed to Rishi Vishwamitra Gathina, from the God Shri Indra. It is not dedicated to Radharani nor is the translation from your cited source correct. Please click the following to see that the verse in question is, instead, dedicated to Shri Indra, "written" by Rishi Vishwamitra Gathina: scroll down until you get to number 50.

The correct translation, then, of R.V.3.51.10 is the following:

“So, Lord Indra, of affluent gifts, this juice has been pressed for you with strength; thus, drink it, O’ you who loves song!” (R.V.3.51.10)

That is Griffith's translation. Wilson's translation also keeps in line with similar thought:

“O’ Lord of riches, entitled to praise, this libation has been effused agreeably to (our) strength; therefore, O’ thee, Indra, drink it quickly!” (R.V.3.51.10)

The second verse your source mentioned is the following:

t[u]váṃ nr̥cákṣā vr̥ṣabhā́nu pūrvī́ḥ kr̥ṣṇā́su agne aruṣó ví bhāhi váso néṣi ca párṣi cā́ti áṃhaḥ kr̥dhī́ no rāyá uśíjo yaviṣṭha(R.V.3.15.3)

^The above is found in Mandala 3, hymn 15, verse 3. This hymn is revealed to Rishi Utkila Katya, from the God Shri Agni. It is not dedicated to Radharani nor is the translation from your cited source accurate. Please click the following to see that the verse in question is, instead, dedicated to Shri Agni, "written" by Rishi Utkila Katya: scroll down until you get to number 15.

The correct translation, then, of verse R.V.3.15.3 is the following:

“O’ Bull, who beholds all men, through many mornings, among the dark ones shine forth red, O’ Agni. Lead us, good Lord, and bear us over trouble: Help us who long to [gain] riches, O’ Most Youthful God!” (R.V.3.15.3)

That is Griffith's translation. Wilson's translation also keeps in line with similar thought:

“The one who showers us with benefits, beholder of men, radiant amid darkness, shine, O’ Agni, with abundant rays in due order; granter of dwellings, conduct us [to goodness], keep off all ill, and youngest of all the Gods, gratify our desires for wealth!” (R.V.3.15.3)

The word, "rādhānāṁ", simply means "of gifts", while "vṛiṣhabhānupoorvīḥ" easily translates to "the hero/bull who beholds all of mankind". These two verses have nothing to do with Shri Radharani.
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 29 November 2013 at 10:01 PM.

Namaste

It seems that these two verses are from the Rig Veda 3.15.3 and 3.51.10.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by brahma jijnasa View Post
    Namaste

It seems that these two verses are from the Rig Veda 3.15.3 and 3.51.10.

regards
    Pranam-s,

Yes, you are correct. I put up the correct translations (see edited versions) and identified the anukramani-s that go along with the said verses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Pranam-s,

Namaste, Devi Dasi. Can you please provide scriptural citations of the following? I noticed there weren't any citations of Mandala number, hymn number, and verse number (e.g., R.V.X.X.X). I would like to confirm these verses from the site you cited. Thank you.

Snip.

Never mind, Devi Dasi-ji. I found them...

The correct translation, then...

Radharani nor is the translation from your cited source accurate.The word, "rādhānāṁ", simply means "of gifts", while "vṛiṣhabhānupoorvīḥ" easily translates to "the hero/bull who beholds all of mankind". These two verses have nothing to do with Shri Radharani.
    Hare Krsna prabhu ji,

Are you an ISKCON devotee? Do you belong within the family of Gaudiya Vaishnava sampradaya? If you kindly note, I have posted in the correct forum, Hare Krishna (ISKCON). The interpretations are from within the proper sampradaya and institute. I'm sorry if you personally have a disagreement, it is after all, a discussion forum. But argumentation, rudeness, invalidation, abusiveness as to the qualities of our institute and persons and esteemed gurus and acharyas is most unfortunate. Please note I have not entered into any other forum section to refute, contradict, or debate any other interpretation regarding Shrimati Radharani in scriptures. Point being, because it is futile to argue about the wonderful pastimes and power of our Lordships. The beautiful and holy truths of scriptures cannot be gleaned by argumentation of mind alone are not edifying anyone's bhajana or spiritual practice and development.

You do not know me at all, yet from the very first time I made appearance on this Hindu Dharma Forum I feel you have been making personal attacks. Is this attitude and approach fitting for a devotee of the Lord? Is this how you hope to advance understanding of Hindu culture of Sanathan Dharm wisdom and truths?

Even if everything I believe is wrong, what are you protecting by destroying and undermining the faith of so many thousands of people? Is "Hindu" religion something to be "purged by fire" like Abrahamics justify? Is "Hindu religion" something sectarian to obliterate, humiliate, and demean the alternative interpretations as is witnessed unfortunately in Wahhabi Islamic sect literally attacking and destroying the Sufi Orders... is this really the proper approach?

If you are not belonging to this particular sampradaya I would humbly request you not post here in order to abuse the revelations, insights and interpretations of our Acharyas in particular His Holiness Srila Prabhupada. I posted only for devotional purposes. I invite you to try if you will, to understand with your heart. It may be there is more than one understanding of powerful concepts than your own. Please do not degrade your spirituality by attempting to act in place of my Guru Maharaj and "correct" my sampradaya diksha and shiksa Guru's teachings for me. It is most regrettable and bad form for someone to behave in such unseemly manner.

And please kindly note that I did not post my own views at all, but simply referenced quotations. There was a similar thread written by esteemed Srila Kripalu Maharaaj who is a related Gaudiya Vaishnav institute acharya, who just few weeks ago passed into samadhi and it would be bad form to hurting the sentiments of His chelae at this sensitive time. I can vouch on this basis of shared viewpoint that it is not only a view of Srila Prabhupada but well within Gaudiya Matha. And if you read carefully, our own very beloved and esteemed Srila Prabhupada was relating in His Purports the interpretations of Sanatana Gosvami, Jiva Gosvami and Vishvanatha Chakravarti and Sukadeva Gosvami, and even included if you read in more detail insights shared with His esteemed godbrother His Holiness Srila Sridhar Maharaja of Shri Chaitanya Math.

Please do not abuse our sentiments and disrespect us in our own subforum heading. And recommend you do not disrespect anyone at all. Thank you.

Hare Krsna.

dambho darpo 'bhimanas ca

krodhah parushyam eva ca
    ajnanam cabhijatasya
    partha sampadam asurim

Pride, arrogance, conceit, anger, harshness and ignorance --
    these qualities belong to those of demoniac nature, O son of Pritha.

- Bhagavad-gita As It Is 16.4

PURPORT
    "In this verse, the royal road to hell is described. The demoniac want to make a show of religion and advancement in spiritual science, although they do not follow the principles. They are always arrogant or proud in possessing some type of education or so much wealth. They desire to be worshiped by others, and demand respectability, although they do not command respect. Over trifles they become very angry and speak harshly, not gently. They do not know what should be done and what should not be done. They do everything whimsically, according to their own desire, and they do not recognize any authority. These demoniac qualities are taken on by them from the beginning of their bodies in the wombs of their mothers, and as they grow they manifest all these inauspicious qualities." - His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, Founder Acarya of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Pranam-s,

The correct translation, then...
    The word, "rādhānāṁ", simply means...
    An English and Hindi version of Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura's Camatkara-candrika is available for free download online. If you have any interest in considering the insights gleaned from a respected Vaishnava scholar who is certainly better for you to concentrate your time debating the viewpoint, merits and validity-invalidity of, than a lowly devi dasi such as myself who has nothing to offer you.
    "This incomparable narrative poem has been painted with the soft brush of Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura's supremely sweet and natural prema-bhakti and the colour of the all enchanting nectar of rasa. This literary composition consists of four astonishing and delightfully charming stories of the mischievous meetings of the Divine Couple, Sri Sri Radha-Krsna. It is presented for rasika and bhavuka readers, as well as sadhakas who desire to taste vraja-rasa."

Camatkara-candrika

Thread Information