Thread: Yuga Question

Yuga Question

Namaste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAgd5KS-ULc

If you watch from 21:25 onwards for a few minutes Sadhguru explains we are in Dwapara Yuga, I was always in the impression we were in Kal Yuga...

Re: Yuga Question

Dear Friend,

I try very hard to refrain myself from commenting on the new age pseudo gurus, their discourses...I will not comment on what that person in the video is talking about , as i think i will be wasting my time[instead i can dedicate the same time towards Paramathma]

But at the same point of time i would like to share some knowledge about the timeline which is defined in our sacred texts.....Our sacred texts have exact details regarding the Time Dilation theory...[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation]...again there many wonderful examples and calculations based on this concept...but will give those details when Time allows me to do so...

There is one thing which is almost consistent in our sacred texts is the definition of the timeline. The following data has been chosen from various texts like Vishnu Purana [third chapter], Bhagavad Purana [Third canto, 11th chapter], Surya Siddhanta [1st and 2nd chapter], Manu Smruthi [1st chapter], Mahabharata [Shanti Parva]

I shall not get into the complete timeline which is sometimes also referred to as Manu-antara or Manvantara as time is not permitting me to do so now...but if you are interested I can try to give complete details later...

Lets start with what our sacred texts say from the count of a day....All the references are relative...there are divisions known as kaala, kaashta, mahurtha, etc which define the basic time units on earth... but lets start with the day....

- Aho : It is the period during which the sun is visible on the earth at one particular location [from dawn to dusk]
    - Raatre : It is the period during which sun is not visible on the earth at one particular location [from dusk to dawn]
    - Aho-ratre : One complete day on the planet earth
    - Paksha : Fifteen such Aho-raatri [starting from New-moon or Full-moon] form a Paksha [From New-moon to Full-moon is Shukla Paksha or the bright fortnight as the moon gets brighter and from Full-moon to New-moon is Krishna paksha or darker fortnight as the night gets darker]

Now starts the relativity concept [based on the concept of Time Dilation]

- The Krishna Paksha on earth is equal to the time elapsed on Pitru Loka [another planetary system where forefathers are present] for a Raatri
    The Shukla Paksha on earth is equal to an Aho on Pitru Loka...So for the people in Pitru Loka, the time spent on earth to complete one month is equal to the time spent on pitru loka to complete just one day for them...

now lets get back to earth....

- Maasa : The sum of a Krishna Paksha and a Shukla Paksha is a Maasa or a month....the name Maasa again has interesting details..lets not get into that now...

Now it gets really interesting here...
    - Aayana : Time taken on earth to complete 6 months is an Aayana....The term Aayana actually roughly means dwelling...When the Sun moves from south to north [roughly the summer solstice] is called Uttara-Aayana...where Uttara is Nortth...Sun dwells or moves towards North...This period persists for six months on earth....and when Sun travels or dwells towards South, its called Dakshina-Aayana..or the Winter solstice....

Now comes the most interesting part...again based on Time Dilation

Deva Aho : The total time for Uttaraayana on earth is equal to the time of a day for the Devatas of Swarga Loka [another planetary system]
    Deva Raatri : The total time for Dakshinaayana on earth is equal to the time of a night for the Devatas of Swarga Loka [another planetary system]

So...the period of One Human Year = One complete Aho-Raatri of Devas

Deva Vatsara : One year for Devas...this is equal to 360 Human years....[This point is actually induced in many places]

Now..in most of the sacred texts this is the point where the reference shifts towards Deva- Vatsara to define the Yugas...one main reason being it is easier to remember as the numbers get large on earth...

Now the definition of a Chatur Yuga...a period of Four Yugas
    - Krith or Sat Yuga
    - Treta Yuga
    - Dwapara Yuga
    - Kali Yuga

Its very clearly mentioned
    - 12,000 Deva Vatsaras = Total time for Krith + Treta + Dwapara + Kali yuga
    Please note...so the actual Length of one Chatur Yuga is 12,000 * 360 = 4320000 Earth Years

Another important point to be noted here us the division of the Yugas
    The Yugas are preceeded and succeeded by a transition period called Sandhya and Sandhyansha

Krith Yuga Sandhya + Krit Yuga + Krith Yuga Sandhyaansha
    [400 Deva Vatsara] + [4000 Deva Vatsara] + [400 Deva Vatsara]

Treta Yuga Sandhya + Treta Yuga + Treta Yuga Sandhyaansha
    [300 Deva Vatsara] + [3000 Deva Vatsara] + [300 Deva Vatsara]

Dwapara Yuga Sandhya + Dwapara Yuga + Dwapara Yuga Sandhyaansha
    [200 Deva Vatsara] + [2000 Deva Vatsara] + [200 Deva Vatsara]

Kali Yuga Sandhya + Kali Yuga + Kali Yuga Sandhyaansha
    [100 Deva Vatsara] + [1000 Deva Vatsara] + [100 Deva Vatsara]

Another important point mentioned is that these four yugas are cyclic in nature...

so..its 4800 + 3600 + 2400 + 1200 = 12,000 Deva Vatsara...

Please note..I am not going into the number of Chatur Yugas, A Manvantara, A Kalpa etc...which define where exactly in time we arw...

The most important part is that all the values above are in Deva Vatsara....in order to get the calculation on Earth, we need to multiply
    those values by 360 to understand the Earth years....

so my dear friend...this is what our sacred texts talk about.....now please do the math...Sri Krishna was here 5000 humans years ago...really?...we are in dwapara yuga..really?...we go to Kali yuga in a few years...really?....

If one goes by our sacred texts, they actually pin point that we are in
    - Second Para-ardha [51st year of Chatur Mukha Bramha]
    - Shweta Varaha Kalpa [day of Chatur Mukhs Bramha],
    - 7th Manvantara
    - 28th Chatur Yuga
    - Kali Yuga
    - Prathama Paada

There are lots of related information available...but for later...

side note: the video link you send was actually hilarious...
    Last edited by SanathanaDharma; 09 December 2013 at 01:50 AM.

Namaste. What do you think about this?

''
    In 1894, when Sri Yukteswar wrote "The Holy Science" and described the 24,000 year yuga cycle, the tradition in India was that the world was not only still in Kali Yuga but it had over 300,000 more years to go! Although Sri Yukteswar's 24,000 year cycle is rapidly gaining adherents, this far longer traditional cycle remains the most widely accepted.
    Sri Yukteswar addressed the discrepency between his 24,000 cycle and the traditional Indian cycle in "The Holy Science." Sri Yukteswar said that toward the end of descending Dwapara Yuga (roughly 900 to 700BC) errors had crept into the Indian almanacs that were used to calculate the length of the yugas. Compunding this problem was the darkening effect of the descending yuga which led unenlightened people to adjust the calculations, which resulted in the far longer cycle of current Indian tradition.
    So, while it is quite possible that there is in fact a longer yuga cycle of which the 24,000 year cycle is a sub-cycle, it is unlikely that the current traditional cycle, which was derived erroneously, accurately describes that longer cycle. My co-author, David Steinmetz, has been researching the longer cycle for some time and may one day be able to present us a description of the longer cycle that has become obscured by the current tradition''

Namaste Dear Friend,

"What do you think about this?"

Again its very amusing......anyone can come up with any theory of their own...
    One thing which is very important as mentioned in the previous post is that
    "....There is one thing which is almost consistent in our sacred texts, is the definition of timeline...."

When one studies our sacred scriptures, one can find a lot of ambiguity, a lot of differences on various topics...[that is the
    reason why even today people are confused with Dwaita, Advaita , Vishishtaadvaita, etc...]...but something which is almost very consistent
    across different scripts is this timeline definition....

As per the very limited knowledge i have, by His grace,...the 24,000 cycle is not mentioned anywhere...nor does it make any sense
    to say that after a Kali yuga ends there is another Kali yuga which starts...and then it goes in the reverse direction...

i mean logically speaking, why should a Kali yuga even end to start yet another Kali Yuga...does that statement make an iota of sense?....its like saying the night will end and then another night will start...really!

One mainly needs to understand the real meaning of the term Yuga and the purpose of its existence in detail before publishing one's own theories...
    There are just too many flaws in such theories....and i really wonder what makes these pseudo gurus act in such ways.....!
    Last edited by SanathanaDharma; 24 December 2013 at 01:26 AM.

"Sanatana Dharma" you are gravely mistaken, just because the man has a beard and a wears a Turban does not mean that he is some Pseudo Guru. The amount of things that Sadhguru and Sri Sri Ravi Shankar have accomplished in this century are hitherto unprecedented. They both run completely volunteer based organizations which have planted millions of trees, spread the joy and sheer power of Yoga and collectively touched the lives of around a billion people. Both of them work around 18 hours a day without getting tired. People as young as me also cannot keep up with them.

I have done Art of Living courses and have viewed many discourses by Sadhguru and am viewing a 2 hour discourse right now. They both provide free schools and healthcare to thousands of villages in different parts of India.

Sadhguru and Sri Sri are "THE" giants remaining of Hindu Dharma, their understanding of the world is not limited to just their intellect, which is the best most people can hope for. They understand the universe at the levels of energy systems of the universe. I hope you are not being guided by false propaganda against them available on the internet.

If you call any one of them "pseudo gurus" you are insulting All Dharma. I know these two people from up close. So I can vouch for them. I do not like the fact that Hindus hate Hindus and Hinduism.

As far as that Mahayuga cycle is concerned. This is a time cycle not a time line that we speak of. And this time cycle is nothing but the orbit of our solar system around the Supersun of our galaxy. In this video Sadhguru explains how the etheric density thresholds are met and with every threshold a new Yuga starts. The next one will happen in 2084 when we reach Treta Yuga. IcyCosmic is very right to assume that we are still in "Dwapara Yuga".

With all due respect I hope this makes things clear.

Dear Friend,

"Sanatana Dharma" you are gravely mistaken, just because the man has a beard and a wears a Turban does not mean that he is some Pseudo Guru.

My post is with respect to the OP,related to the content of the video and it has nothing to do with the physical appearance of the speaker...so I request you to not make such false assumptions...

"............. They both provide free schools and healthcare to thousands of villages in different parts of India....."

may Paramathma bless them for their good deeds...

"..... I hope you are not being guided by false propaganda against them available on the internet."

no...again my response was with respect to the OP and content of the video...

"If you call any one of them "pseudo gurus" you are insulting All Dharma. "
    really...!!!!...thats very amusing to say the least....

"As far as that Mahayuga cycle is concerned. This is a time cycle not a time line that we speak of. And this time cycle is nothing but the orbit of our solar system around the Supersun of our galaxy. In this video Sadhguru explains how the etheric density thresholds are met and with every threshold a new Yuga starts. The next one will happen in 2084 when we reach Treta Yuga. IcyCosmic is very right to assume that we are still in "Dwapara Yuga".

With all due respect I hope this makes things clear."

well...with the limited intellectual power God has bestowed upon me, I am unable to understand even a single statement of yours....does not make an iota of sense...

anyway, i do not wish to continue this discussion as i simply am not so intelligent to understand your statements or your guru's statements....and as mentioned earlier, I try very hard to refrain myself from commenting on the new age pseudo gurus, their discourses..., as i think i will be wasting my time[instead i can dedicate the same time towards Paramathma]
    Last edited by SanathanaDharma; 25 February 2014 at 03:48 AM.

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

This (yuga subject matter) has been talked about some years ago... if there is interest, take a look at this HDF post:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1803

This post has some tangential information:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1784

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information