Thread: West Palm Beach?

West Palm Beach?

Namaskar,

I am traveling at the end of this week to visit family in the West Palm Beach area for a little over a week. I have been looking for a Mandir, (or more than one, maybe?), to visit while there.

I have found a couple, but they appear to both be in the Hollywood area of Palm Beach County, which is a somewhat large area. The Mandir-s are both quite a long drive from where my family lives.

They look lovely, and if they are my only choice I will still make the drive. But I was hoping there might be something closer that I'm just not finding, so wanted to reach out and ask if anyone in the community here knows of any place closer to Singer Island and West Palm Beach city proper?

My thanks in advance for any guidance.
    Pranam-s

Edit: I thought I should add the ones that I've found already:
    http://www.fhosm.com/
    http://sfshivavishnu.org/
    http://www.shrisaraswatidevimandir.org/
    http://sfht.org/
    http://www.swaminarayan.org/globalne...rica/miami.htm

The last one is actually closer to where I will be, and gives a sense of distance. I am looking for something around that distance from where I will be, which is closer to Singer Island. But perhaps I've found all the Mandir-s in that area? I have no problem going to the Swaminarayan Mandir, if that's the closest, though I am hoping someone knows of a Shaivite, Smarta or Devi Mandir that would be as close or closer, that I might have missed. I am also hoping timings work out so I can manage a longer trip and go to one of the one listed that are further south. I have no problem with the drive, but I am not the only one who would be affected by the trip, so I must plan around others.

Last edited by Aanandinii; 18 December 2013 at 12:06 PM.
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Re: West Palm Beach?

Namaskar,

I'm a bit surprised that I never received a reply, though it appears there was no response that could be given, as it seems I did indeed find all of the Temples within a realistic travel distance of where I am staying. And perhaps there aren't any members here that live in the south Florida area? So, I'm going to leave my experience here in the hopes that it helps someone looking for similar information in the future, and perhaps if someone else visits any of these Temples in future, or if they have visited one already, they will also post their experience in this thread.

Firstly, I should clarify that there is indeed a community here in West Palm Beach that is building a Temple, but it is still under construction and their meeting space at the moment seems to only be open on Sundays, and festivals. I had found them early in my search, but I knew I wouldn't be able to visit on a day they were meeting. But I look forward to visiting some day in the future.

Of the links I posted above, I am certain that any one would be lovely and welcoming, they are all just so far to drive, (about an hour and a half each way), when one has to plan transportation around the needs of others and around family gatherings. However, Southwest Ranches FL, which is just north west of Hollywood and on the edge of the Everglades, is just a little bit closer and has two active Mandirs. One is the Shiva Vishnu Temple, (sfshivavishnu.org), and the other is South Florida Hindu Temple, (sfht.org). I meditated on guidance for which to visit, and ended up at South Florida Hindu Temple yesterday morning.

It was beautiful, the temple itself is peaceful and lovely, the Pandit and the few of the congregation who were there on a Monday morning/afternoon welcoming and kind. I had hoped to attend the morning Puja, and ended up invited to attend by Pandit Shivachariayar-ji, who very kindly took time out from his morning meditation to spend some time speaking with me. He is such a quiet and insightful soul, I am very honored to have met him and to have received some of his wisdom. Because I am looking for my own path within Shaivism, I asked about his. He shared that his is Shaiva Siddhanta and that he studied and served at Rameswaram Mandir in Tamil Nadu.

The morning Puja was Abishekham and Arti. I think I surprised a few people when I sang along with most of the Bhajans. I was invited back to sing some more at the evening Puja and/or to come by tonight. I deeply regret that I couldn't make the trip again yesterday evening, nor will I be able to this evening, due to family events that I truly cannot bow out of. I hope to be able to visit again before we head back to Massachusetts though. I definitely intend to return again next year when we come back down for the holidays. Hopefully the timings of events will allow for more visits next year.

I haven't visited a Mandir here in the US until now. I have been nervous of doing so, as I know many westerners are. I am not nervous at all now, and I am very much looking forward to visiting the Temples in my home area when we return. In fact, because our largest Temple, Shri Lakshmi Mandir, is so far away from my home - about as far as this Temple is from my family's homes - I've been looking for one I might join that is a bit closer to my home. No kidding, I learned just before we left that there are several that are closer, and one of those happens to be in my home town, where I grew up! That isn't very far from where I live now, and I am very much looking forward to going.

Pranam-s
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 28 December 2013 at 04:10 PM.
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Vanakkma Anandini: I'm a temple nut, so thank you for sharing all this. I don't know it we'll ever make it that far, as we live in Alberta, but it is a possibility. It's true that many westerners are afraid to enter the Indian immigration style Hindu temples, but by sharing your experience, hopefully one or two more people will be encouraged that nobody is going to eat you.

I've posted temple reviews on here somewhere, but I couldn't find them all that easily. The physical temples themselves were easier to find. HDF is huge now.

I follow Saiva Siddhanta as well, so that temple would be interesting, just for that reason. Most likely next year we'll (when I say we, I mean my wife and I) will head south to the Dallas area, and I definitely want to stop in Tulsa, because I've heard the priest there is incredibly well trained. I think sometimes we overlook priest training, and we shouldn't. It can make a huge difference to a temple's vibration.

Back nearer to your home, I'd recommend the Mahalakshmi temple. I can't remember it's exact location off hand, but I've heard great things.

Thanks again for sharing your adventure.

By Ramanathaswami, did the priest mean Rameswaram? I have been there and it is one amazing place.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    I'm a bit surprised....
    Apologies for lack of any response, perhaps there aren't any members living in that area who could have given any pointers. Here is some info/experiences about mandir visits,

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpos...5&postcount=15

Thanks for sharing your experience of your first visit. Going to a mandir for the Sunday puja would be very different as there would be lot more people and one tends to get lost in the crowd.

Pranam.

Namaskar EM-ji,

I've seen others truncate your name in this way, I hope it's okay?
    Oh my, yes, that's my typo rather than the Priest's. Wow. Proof-read and everything. I did mean Rameswaram.
    I hope to visit there one day. It's true, HDF is quite a large and old forum, much information buried in many places. If you have ever written about your visit there though, I will definitely go digging for it. I would love to hear more about it, it's one of the Temples that has always fascinated me.

I had thought I remembered reading that your path is Shaiva Siddhanta. Do I also remember correctly that you are a shishya of Gurudev Subramuniyaswamiji, and that you have spent some time studying and serving at a Mandir in India? Perhaps I'm mis-remembering though, I've been reading and taking in a lot lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    It's true that many westerners are afraid to enter the Indian immigration style Hindu temples, but by sharing your experience, hopefully one or two more people will be encouraged that nobody is going to eat you.
    I literally LOLed. It's very true that so many are so reluctant, and I'm not sure why. I have some ideas/theories, but they're based on my own reasons and so might not be true for others.

I've read many of your posts, and those of some other members, regarding temples you have visited and encouraging others to go and just start practicing regularly. I found them very encouraging, and after the experiences I've had this last year I quite agree. I hope adding my voice to the mix might help encourage more people to go. When one gets through the anxiety and just goes, there's nothing like it. This, coming from someone who until recently never used to be a fan of going to temples or churches except for historical interest. And now, like you, I have found I am becoming something of a Temple nut too.
    I follow Saiva Siddhanta as well, so that temple would be interesting, just for that reason. Most likely next year we'll (when I say we, I mean my wife and I) will head south to the Dallas area, and I definitely want to stop in Tulsa, because I've heard the priest there is incredibly well trained.
    If you do ever get down to the south of FL, it's worth the trip. The Everglades and Florida Keys are worth the trip as well.
    I hope when you go to Tulsa and Dallas you write about them. I love reading/hearing stories of travels and Temple experiences, even the not so great ones.
    Have you every heard of or been to the Greater Cincinnati Hindu Temple? I am curious because I found out this afternoon that the Priest at the Temple I was guided to down here had served there for some time before moving here. Cincinnati is where my Mother's family is from originally, she and her siblings grew up there, and I spent many summers and winters there in my Childhood. It's an interesting connection that was completely unexpected.
    Back nearer to your home, I'd recommend the Mahalakshmi temple. I can't remember it's exact location off hand, but I've heard great things.
    Yes, Sri Mahalakshmi is one of, if not the, largest Mandir in MA. Several of my friends go there semi regularly. They say it's a great Temple with powerful energy. It's in Ayer or Oxford MA, around that area, which is quite a long drive. I will definitely go, possibly for festival holidays, and will write about it when I do. But for regular temple worship it will have to be something closer to me.
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Namaskar Believerji,

Thank you so much for the link, this is a thread I haven't found yet. There is so much knowledge and experience in these pages, it takes quite a long time to get through even one section.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Apologies for lack of any response, perhaps there aren't any members living in that area who could have given any pointers.

Going to a mandir for the Sunday puja would be very different as there would be lot more people and one tends to get lost in the crowd.
    No worries at all, and no need for any apologies. I hope my wording didn't read like a complaint, it was more an observation. I came to largely the same conclusion, likely no members in that area or if there are, then none that go to Temple.

I had read that about Sunday Puja, which is actually specifically why I was avoiding a Sunday. Well, that and the timing of our flight to FL.
    I tend to be extra anxious in a crowd and am pretty socially awkward and shy in those situations. I am far more comfortable in small, quiet groups until I gain confidence. So while the Monday was the best choice for me, it might not be for all.

Thank you so much for your response and for the link.

Pranam.
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Namaskar EM-ji,

I've seen others truncate your name in this way, I hope it's okay?
    Oh my, yes, that's my typo rather than the Priest's. Wow. Proof-read and everything. I did mean Rameswaram.
    I hope to visit there one day. It's true, HDF is quite a large and old forum, much information buried in many places. If you have ever written about your visit there though, I will definitely go digging for it. I would love to hear more about it, it's one of the Temples that has always fascinated me.
    Vannakkam: Thank you for the kind words. Rameswaram is the name of the town, while Ramanathaswamy is the name of the temple. Here is the link to my South Indian pilgrimage blog, of which Rameswaram was just one stop.

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...ght=Pilgrimage

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakkam: I think it would be useful for newcomers if we compiled 'first visit' threads into one place. Believer has already started, but I think there is more in here somewhere. I just can't remember where.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaskar EMji,

My apologies for the lateness of my reply, I got lost in a thread-link hole following the link Believerji gave. It was a good journey, I'm grateful.
    Rameswaram is the name of the town, while Ramanathaswamy is the name of the temple.
    Ah, I see! So much for me to learn.
    Pandit Shivachariayarji said the temple he studied and served at was there, and specified it was associated with Sri Rama, so perhaps it wasn't a typo on my part. It's hard to tell as my grasp of the language is still not so great, making it hard to remember things exactly the first time, as one can with languages they are proficient in.

Thank you so much for the link to your pilgrimage thread. I haven't been digging in the Canteen section yet, I'm looking forward to reading it.
    I think it would be useful for newcomers if we compiled 'first visit' threads into one place. Believer has already started, but I think there is more in here somewhere. I just can't remember where.
    I love this idea!
    I came across HDF earlier this year when doing specific searches for info, this is a Forum which comes up high in search results. There must be many people who come here in search of information first, like myself. Having something comprehensive and prominent to seekers regarding 'First Temple Visits', would be incredibly helpful to many.

I will look for where Believerji may have started this, is it a sticky thread or a forum sub section, do you know? If I can help in any way, please let me know. I have been slowly reading from earliest archived posts to present in many sections and could start that in this section as well.

I am also thinking of starting a thread here on Massachusetts Temples - or at least Eastern Mass Temples. I am going to find a way to visit all of them at least twice in coming months, especially the ones nearest me, others from or visiting that area might find it useful information. Perhaps this would be good for that collection as well.

Pranam
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 28 December 2013 at 10:27 PM.
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Namaskar,

Apologies for the double post. I wanted to thank you, EM-ji, for the link and for the stories of your Pilgramages. They are wonderful experiences told simply but on many levels and left me smiling at their beauty and the memories they brought back to me through your descriptions - though you went to different places than I, there are some things that are just... India. In all her majesty.

Pranam.
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Thread Information