Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comments in Yahoo about India upon arrest of Indian diplomat

Comments in Yahoo about India upon arrest of Indian diplomat

Namaste,

By now everyone knows about the arrest of Devyani Khobragade, the diplomat who allegedly submitted false papers to bring aboard to USA an underpaid worker from India.

I wonder why USA resorted to arresting her in public and 'strip-searching' her?! And in addition, lock her up in a jail cell that contains drug addicts and other criminals?

I read the responses to this news in Yahoo posted mainly by Americans. And their remarks on India and Indians makes me very sad.. They are basically shaming all the call center jobs that go to India, comparing India's wealth and economic status and that of USA and saying that all ties with India be cut down, etc..

Reminds me of my recent post calling for all Indians to pray for our great nation to emerge.

Thanks, Pranam.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Comments in Yahoo about India upon arrest of Indian diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste,

By now everyone knows about the arrest of Devyani Khobragade, the diplomat who allegedly submitted false papers to bring aboard to USA an underpaid worker from India.

I wonder why USA resorted to arresting her in public and 'strip-searching' her?! And in addition, lock her up in a jail cell that contains drug addicts and other criminals?

I read the responses to this news in Yahoo posted mainly by Americans. And their remarks on India and Indians makes me very sad.. They are basically shaming all the call center jobs that go to India, comparing India's wealth and economic status and that of USA and saying that all ties with India be cut down, etc..

Reminds me of my recent post calling for all Indians to pray for our great nation to emerge.

Thanks, Pranam.
    Hello,

A small advice: don't take Yahoo Comments (and Yahoo News) too seriously, nor too personally.

1. A majority of the commenters are Stormfronters; they are some of the most racist and hateful commenters on the World Wide Web.

2. This actually looks worse for India: falsifying documents in order to bring aboard a house worker? But, it's to be expected in an administration that's run by INC -- in other words: another $2 billion dollars for you-know-who....all will be well. Just don't make that certain person show up on the Huffington Post. Haha.

But, the strip-search of a diplomat was totally uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Hello,

A small advice: don't take Yahoo Comments (and Yahoo News) too seriously, nor too personally.

1. A majority of the commenters are Stormfronters; they are some of the most racist and hateful commenters on the World Wide Web.
    Right.

2. This actually looks worse for India: falsifying documents in order to bring aboard a house worker? But, it's to be expected in an administration that's run by INC -- in other words: another $2 billion dollars for you-know-who....all will be well. Just don't make that certain person show up on the Huffington Post. Haha.
    Yes, it is a shameful offence.

But, the strip-search of a diplomat was totally uncalled for.
    Exactly!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that India's reaction to this event (taking away the barricades, asking for payment details of workers that cater to US ambassadors, lowering privileges, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.) was also wrong and not smart, politically. It was a very emotional reaction.

There is an Indian embassy in DC; I hope INC kept that in mind.

And, we agree that the strip-search was messed up; but, let's keep in mind that she tried to bring in a house worker (that was living off of extremely low income, almost close to slave-like conditions) through false documents.

The reaction should, IMHO, have been more concentrated on addressing the issue of the diplomat being strip searched and if that was really necessary (I think it wasn't necessary). Not directed at lashing out on US diplomats in India.

However, it would be sensible to reserve all further judgement until more "facts" are made public.
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 December 2013 at 04:29 PM.

Right, Sudas. I too felt India's response (as you put down) on American diplomats does not sound 'very diplomatic' . I heard the accused Khobragade was rumoured to be involved formerly in Mumbai Adarsh housing scam, too (courtesy: Dinamalar.com).

Right, Sudas. I too felt India's response (as you put down) on American diplomats does not sound 'very diplomatic' . I heard the accused Khobragade was rumoured to be involved formerly in Mumbai Adarsh housing scam, too (courtesy: Dinamalar.com).
    Wow, I didn't know all of that. That's even worse for the person in question and for India; those corruption levels in India are way too appallingly high.

This whole situation could have been handled quietly. All that had to be done was to concentrate on the strip-search allegation or occurrence, and let USA handle its case on the diplomat bringing in false documents for the extremely underpaid worker.

But, I'm quite surprised that this incident has "united" every single political party in India. All of them are denying to meet with American delegates. Talk about irony! Even INC is refusing to meet with US delegates.

EDIT: However, I'm quite puzzled by one thing: India has reacted fervently over this situation. Now, why in the freakin' world couldn't the Indian government have acted in a similar manner when Indian women and foreign tourists were being raped by vermin in Delhi and Mumbai?????????? Talk about waste of energy for the wrong reason. They'll protect a corrupt diplomat that has a Swiss Bank account (I'm sure of it); but, they won't protect a daughter of the mAtrabhUmi. Messed up, IMHO.
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 December 2013 at 05:09 PM.

Very true. Many people are crying out that Indian govt. didn't care as much when India's common men and laborers were abused elsewhere in the Middle-East. And people are indeed making a mockery of the Congress party for making a furor about the Khobragade issue.

But to me, if USA which is pretty diplomatic about treating its naturalized citizens gives as much to India, then that's pretty shocking... to say the least. One can expect as much from the Middle-East.

Very true. Many people are crying out that Indian govt. didn't care as much when India's common men and laborers were abused elsewhere in the Middle-East. And people are indeed making a mockery of the Congress party for making a furor about the Khobragade issue.

But to me, if USA which is pretty diplomatic about treating its naturalized citizens gives as much to India, then that's pretty shocking... to say the least. One can expect as much from the Middle-East.
    Exactly. The condition of Indian workers in the ME is unfortunate.

Furthermore, watch all of this be a conspiracy theory.

Either way, both America and India have better things to concentrate on. India especially.
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 18 December 2013 at 05:20 AM.

Namaste,

Thanks, Pranam.
    This is why I've been avoiding most public discussion forums like the plague lately. It makes me very angry and depressed that my fellow citizens are capable of such vitriol. Then I get reminded that I can't move out of this country because of my economic status. And I get even more depressed.

To think I was born in the same country as these people upsets me to no end.

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    This is why I've been avoiding most public discussion forums like the plague lately. It makes me very angry and depressed that my fellow citizens are capable of such vitriol. Then I get reminded that I can't move out of this country because of my economic status. And I get even more depressed.

To think I was born in the same country as these people upsets me to no end.
    Namaste Webimpulse,

To face the reality, as we all know, there exist such gentle souls as you in the USA. And, there do exist, pathetically, such corrupt souls in high ranking positions in India and among those of us settled here in USA, as Khobragade. So for a common man of USA to pass as much comments on India, on their perception of 'exploitation of USA' is to be expected.

It is only disheartening to see the govt. of USA treat a lady ambassador of India, a diplomat at that, with a strip-search for the felony in question, that is raising brows everywhere. As always, time will heal...

Thank you for your kind words.

Thread Information