Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Physical and Spiritual fitness

Re: Physical and Spiritual fitness

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

As we age, our choices for activities to stay fit decrease.
    Sacropenia, the loss of muscle as one ages, is one of the major things that older people need to combat with some form of strength training. Most injuries come from competitive sports and endurance training like running. A combination of walking, yoga and resistance training would be great for old people (and anyone else).

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I do a couple of walks a day. I can't do a ton of physical workouts because of some permanent injuries. I am 60. The best all-around low impact exercise is swimming. Boss and I swam twice daily (not hard, more just floating around, pick a boat to circle, tread water, etc.) last winter in Mauritius. We each lost 20 pounds over the three months. It didn't hurt my shoulder (one of the injuries) as long as I abstained from one particular motion. So for those who can swim and have access to it, I'd highly recommend it. You don't even know you're sweating. Here it is ridiculously expensive to swim daily. Not something i can afford.

Aum Namasivaya
    Activities like swimming and cycling can be great to keep you in shape when you are injured, but they offer almost no physical impact to keep your bones strong and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Activities like swimming and cycling can be great to keep you in shape when you are injured, but they offer almost no physical impact to keep your bones strong and healthy.
    That's a good point. Calcium boosters, for those of old age, should do the trick, as well as dietary supplements that help with joint support.
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 26 December 2013 at 04:49 AM.

just like the other 7.1 billion people on this good earth.
    Now the question is, is it really wandering or is it looking for something ? Me thinks it is looking for something

Namaste Yajvan Ji,

Thank you sir for the suggestion. Yes right now, I have to find a job when I get my masters degree, so definitely the mind is seeking something. It's important time of my life. Hopefully I will improve my diet.

Isavasya, do you like Chyavanprash? It's very good for the body and definitely helps one get into shape if used with a stable and structured diet plan.
    Dear friend,
    I did liked Dabur Chyavanprash when I was a kid. But that was 20 years ago. But thank you for your valuable advise, I will try
    Chyavanprash again. I think I will definitely use it if i will find it tasty. I am usually taste conscious

There are a few tools that are great for home workouts:
    • The TRX suspension trainer. This is a versatile tool that can be used for all kinds of bodyweight exercises. The TRX is also great for stretching and mobility work.
    • Competition Kettlebells. Kettlebells allow you to train different qualities in one workout, like strength, power, endurance and mobility. Studies have shown that people with low back and shoulder pain actually improve their condition after doing ballistic exercises with kettlebells. Ballistic Kettlebell movements can also burn a lot of calories as one study showed (20 kcal per minute).
    • Ultimate Sandbag. The sandbag is great for conditioning workouts. Sandbags offer three dimensional training and build balance in the body and therefore are also great for people who are recovering from injuries. Heavier sandbags can be used for training strength and power.
    • Barbell, Powerrack, Bench, Weights. If you want to build maximum muscle and strength nothing beats traditional weightlifting exercises with barbells. (I don't have this at home, but use these whenever I am at a gym)
    Dear Sahasranama,
    Thank you for you valuable advise. While these equipments are completely unknown to me, I will try out some of them. While I am already a slimly built person, I do want to have better shape and more muscles.
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Thread Information