Thread: New Year Resolutions for a Householder Sadhak

New Year Resolutions for a Householder Sadhak

Namaste

Since we are in the final lap of 2013, I was wondering what spiritual resolutions should I (or any other householder sadhak) take up? These resolutions should be in-sync with the times that we live in ("busy-busy; mad rat race"), while also something that we can carry through till 2014 end and most importantly move us forward towards HIM.

Any pointers in this direction?

Aum Namah Shivay

Re: New Year Resolutions for a Householder Sadhak

Vannakkam: I generally do my (if I do any) resolutions on April 14. Still it might be interesting to hear if anyone has stuff that works for them.

Aum Namasivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

From an astrological/jyotish point of view, the 1st of January is pretty much ~another day~.

Yet, if I were to make some vows (pratijñā¹) I would choose the 14th January 2014. Why so ? It is makara saṃkrānti :
    • makara - the 10th sign of the zodiac (capricorn)
    • saṃkrānti - going from one place to another , course or passage or entry into , transference to
    This day is also called uttarāyaṇa-saṃkrānti. It is the day the sun (sūrya) begins its northern path or movement. North is the ~day~ of the deva-s and south is considered the ~night~ of the deva-s.
    The sun or sūrya is the ātma-kāraka representing the Self of all on this good earth. This motion or path of the ātma-kāraka to the north indicates it rise, and then its fulfillment that occurs when brought to its height in aries ( where it is exalted).
    So, said another way it is uplifting the light of pure awareness in us. That is, it is the support from the universe to assist one-and-all to the unfoldment of this pure awareness ( the Self) in ones own being.
    It is said on this day ( and in general the northern path of the sun) is more conducive to:
    • spiritual pursuits
    • gaining knowledge, purity and wisdom
    • better relationships/ harmony with father and son
    • promoting the evolutionary tendencies in life (dharma)
    Because the sun is the main area of focus all those things that deal with the sun is promoted; simple things like health, eye sight, (father, as mentioned), places of worship, royalty and government, etc. are generally uplifted.

iti śiva

1. pratijñā - to promise fulfillment of a person's word
    Last edited by yajvan; 28 December 2013 at 04:50 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Yajvan-ji

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

From an astrological/jyotish point of view, the 1st of January is pretty much ~another day~.

Yet, if I were to make some vows (pratijñā¹) I would choose the 14th January 2014. Why so ? It is makara saṃkrānti :

Digressing from the main topic (of this thread), can you please recommend a beginners book/site in jyotish.

Aum Namah Shivay

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    I would choose the 14th January 2014. Why so ? It is makara saṃkrānti :
    Vannakkam: Also celebrated as Thai Pongal in the South. Over here in the -20 weather it's morphed into this strange cooking rice outside with so much steam you can't see the pot. Given that Thai Pusam is just 2 days later this year, the penance might just be going outside.

But it's fun.

My April 14 is Tamil New Year. I do treat that as significant as well. Good time to take vows.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by surrenderindailylife View Post
    Namaste

Since we are in the final lap of 2013, I was wondering what spiritual resolutions should I (or any other householder sadhak) take up? These resolutions should be in-sync with the times that we live in ("busy-busy; mad rat race"), while also something that we can carry through till 2014 end and most importantly move us forward towards HIM.

Any pointers in this direction?

Aum Namah Shivay
    Namaste surrenderindailylife,

I do not think I have this one-pointedness. I think it comes from concentrating on the result. I am not an archer like Arjuna. My mind is not single-mindedly diected at moksha, which makes Brahman into a result. All desire is then directed at God. That is a different mental attitude than I have. My mentality is based on Dharm. All attention is directed at the action itself. The goal is simply a means that gives direction. It could be pleasing a God, or another being myself included. Concentrating on the action i do with awareness of Brahman. Thus my actions become a sacrifice.

As i see it, in normal life goals are often less important than people think, following dharma automatically creates good karma, automatically creates more happiness. To walk the road one can stare at the end goal, but looking at the terrain and where one plants one's feet I find more useful. This is a trip most of use will not complete this life. I would not even want that. I want to enjoy this trip as long as possible. I will remain here for a long time. I will come back and those that I will meet again I will greet and put an arm around their shoulder. Enjoying life is not a special wish. So I do not make special wishes, and if I really need something, I ask it my Deva, he mostly is happy to comply, and if he hesitates it is often a warning. If one's loved ones hesitate about giving you something, you should think it through again.

About your question: It is highly personal. I think, we should not ask others what we should want. How can they know our deep desires? And the Devas will only fulfill your deep desires. They do not make your coffee. Besides that, I think that what is between a God and his devotee should be private. I always feel embarrassed when people openly start praying or worshiping their God.

What about the rats-race? In my opinion, that is something one wants to stay away from as much as one can. It is an utter silliness that we slavishly copy. It leads to premature exhaustion, burnouts, neglect, etc. One should seek education and jobs that allow oneself to stay in the shade in stead of the heat. If one thinks this serves a higher cause, I wish him good luck. I do not think Dharm means "doing ones utmost best". That is typically result oriented thinking. Always maximize results. Yes. lets maximize production of utterly stupid things so we can exhaust the precious resources that poorer people need to survive for our luxury. Lets even go further and create products with ever shorter lifespan. ect. etc. No lets not do that, Lets maximize the happiness of the ones we feel responsible for, which also includes ourselves and the Gods we worship. But lets do it in a way that is sustainable and healthy for all life on this planet. Lets do our Dharma with joy, then we can share that joy.
    Last edited by satay; 28 December 2013 at 09:48 PM.

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I do treat that as significant as well. Good time to take vows.
    There are many days within the Vedic calendar that are auspicious. No doubt New Years for the 14th of April is one. This makara saṃkrānti (aforementioned) is considered noteworthy. Yet another ( that I am most fond of) is akṣaya tritīyā - see this post if there is interest: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3957

iti śiva
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Avyaydya-ji

Quote Originally Posted by Avyaydya View Post

Concentrating on the action i do with awareness of Brahman.
    How do you manage to sustain this awareness? IMHO, given the distractions of everyday life it is very tough to put this into practice in all our thoughts, words & deeds. (The point that I am driving here is keeping this 'bhava' alive forever and not just at some of the times)

Aum Namah Shivay

Namaste,

Perhaps to recognize the Divine in that which is not pleasing; a beautiful
    sunrise is easy, while a badly stubbed toe may not be

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Thread Information