Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: garbha gṛha & other interesting things

Re: garbha gṛha & other interesting things

Namaskar Yajvanji,

I am aware I am getting in quite over my head and want to qualify all this with the statement that I am making fairly blind statements here and have nothing to back up the ideas I'm about to posit. I am also coming from a western culture point of view. But I wish to respectfully submit my uneducated thoughts to the discussion, as I've been thinking about this.

When I see a square or cube, I also immediately see the positive space which it defines: a circle or sphere. One implies the other, by its very definition.
    When I hear "As above, so below", I think of the patterns we see in nature again and again, from the unimaginably large to the smallest possible measured size.

To me a figure within a square also reminds me of proportion, geomitry in nature and mathematics, thanks to Leonardo DaVinci. I see the Purusa Mandala below, and I remember that quite vividly.
    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post

There are natural laws of proportion and patterns repeat. I look at Purusha Mandala and I see a 3 dimensional space interpreted in 2 dimensions.

That's what the person in me, raised in this culture sees. Having read a little of Vastu Design Concepts now, I also see the layout of an ancient home, (perhaps the root for all eastern architectural tradition?), and the guideline to plan the construction of ancient towns, temples and cities. So, perhaps the Purusha Manadala is not just the guideline for the structure of Human dwellings and cities, but also of the cities of the Devas and Asuras? A map of the great cities of the three worlds, perhaps.

And if Purusha was dismembered to create the Universe as we know it now, as some translations say, maybe the universe and cities and homes and human bodies and temples, all are a part of the pattern. Perhaps they all reflect each other in how they are constructed, making this is a map of the physical and the spiritual realms. And I find myself wondering if the gods/goddesses in specific quadrants of the mandala relate specifically to the sections of the physical body imposed by Purusha in this mandala, in some way. Aside from God, or the path to Moksha, at the crown that is.

And very probably all of this is already known and I am missing the point entirely.

#/philosophy.
    All is pure speculation on my part.

Pranam-s

~~~

Namaskar Manaji,

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    It is a curious thing; I find that my sensibilities, which are so energised in these moments, can be so debilitating for me at other times.
    I cried with joy during this moment.
    Me as well. My own sensibilities are often something of a handicap in many situations, I understand.
    I didn't cry at the time, I was too stunned. But I did later and still do sometimes. I would like to learn what the chant was, but I have no idea. Perhaps you might learn yours for both of us.

Pranam-s
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Namaskar,

Apologies for the double post, but this article better describes some of my above sketched out thoughts. This may also pertain to some of the Temple architecture observations from earlier. Perhaps you are guiding us to this, Yajvanji?

I need to order that book the blogger quotes as a reference.

Pranam-s

Edit to add: I had another thought relating to Manaji's crystal lattice... The Mandala certainly does remind me of a crystalline lattice, and even of the structure of growing crystals. More patterns.
    Also, one other pattern based on the idea I had today, inspired partly by Manaji's earlier observations relating to Tetrahedron crystalline structure and my earlier thoughts of of 3 dimensions rendered in 2: Something I've read more than once in Vastu design articles recently is that even the smallest measurable unit of space is a cube or square. So, if one is to take this as a map of space on all scales, then one must also account for the dimension of time. What does 4 dimensional space look like? A Tesseract, composed of 8 cubes the vertices of which are Tetrahedrons - the 16th Tetrahedron projects to infinity. I can also see this in the Purusha Manadala, if I look.

Again I find myself more surprised than perhaps I should be. Am I reading into things here, or is there really a connection?
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 09 January 2014 at 05:32 PM.
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Dear Aanandinii,

I find your expression of you understanding to be quite wonderful, it is I think worthy of note that the "rigidity" of the perceived structures which indeed do underlay our world, is that they are only models, and as such remain within limits.
    That which we are perceiving is a "toned down version" of the true nature that we are percieving.

For an example of this, is the Mathematical problem to which your intuition has directed you, which is squaring the circle; This is still impossible to solve to this day. But enormous fun to investigate if we are that way inclined. I get the impression that you already have a good grasp of geometry.
    Your line of thought, is to my mind verging towards fractal geometry, which you may very much enjoy.

We might by comparison compare this to the use of Abhijit Nakshatra to make our calendar fit to the flow of time; a thought which is based upon my current, somewhat limited understanding.

I shall make an enquiry, to see if I can find out which hymn in particular it was that I enjoyed so much; it would be my pleasure to share that with you.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Mana; 10 January 2014 at 01:04 AM.

Dear Aanandinii, Yajvan,

Please do excuse my distraction from the them of this thread Yajvan; for me this will always be associated with my first temple visit.

This was the particular verse
    Aanandinii; although its resonance was quite different, being somewhat lower in pitch and quite a different timbre.

कर्पूरगौरं करुणावतारम् |
    karpūragauraṁ karuṇāvatāram |
    संसारसारं भुजगेन्द्रहारम् ||
    saṁsārasāraṁ bhujagendrahāram ||
    सदा वसन्तं हृदयारविन्दे |
    sadā vasantaṁ hṛdayāravinde |
    भवं भवानि सहितं नमामि ||
    bhavaṁ bhavāni sahitaṁ namāmi ||

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAA2LMhXons

Kind regards.

Dear Manaji, Namaskar,

First, I would like to apologize for not replying sooner, things have been somewhat busy recently. Thank you so much for your replies.

You give me far too much credit. I understand little, if anything, but thank you for the complement. Instinct has served me well to a degree, but it is no replacement for true learning, study and wisdom. I have very little of the first two and none of the last, though perhaps one day... Maybe the next life.

Most of the learning I have is in the western sciences and philosophies. While I have explored eastern thought and Sanatana Dharma some, I haven't begun studying in-depth until recently. This has been part of my journey this birth, I think, finding and realizing the Truth behind the toned down Model which we perceive. Completely agreed, the seeming rigidity of form from our limited view of reality is only part of the illusion. All is motion, all is vibration, all is the Dance. The Tesseract and other multi-dimensional structure models are not stationary at all. Mathematically speaking, the moving model is theoretically what actually happens in such a dimensional space, and may be an explanation for the seeming direction to the flow of time as that fourth dimension is actually time itself.

I remember that geometry problem, but haven't thought about it in some time. Wow, I hadn't even considered it's application here. Very interesting! I was reading an article recently that I found familiar in a way I couldn't quite place. This would be what I couldn't quite put my finger on! Thank you.

Geometry has never really been a strong subject for me, though as an artist I have a strong appreciation for it. Physics though is a subject I've always loved. I very much love the simple beauty of String Theory and M Theory, but even the Standard Model of Quantum Mechanics seems to strongly echo Vedic and Tantric concepts as I currently understand them. While I do enjoy fractal geometry and I did partly mean that, I also meant patterns such as strings, helixes and spheres on all scales of the Universe, and in all dimensions. I completely agree, if I understand you correctly, that the full scale of Reality is something much deeper and of more dimensions that we are capable of perceiving from this plane, when bound to a limited, 4 dimensional form. To me that is part of how I understand maya.

Something I found very interesting, an idea, is the representation of God, Gods and Dimensional Space through Mandalas. An example is Lord Ganesha as the First Guru, great teacher of the school of Existence, who holds the Universe in His body. In the school I have been studying, He is equated with Reality on the 4-dimensional level we incarnate in and His mandala is the 8-petaled Lotus. A mathematical representation of the Tesseract, as 4 dimensional Space-Time, in two dimensions is:

I find myself wondering if other representations of dimensional spaces have similar parallels to mandalas.

Returning to the specific topic of the thread, the more I read the more I find that the sciences in the Vedas appear to often speak of vibrations and the specific vibrations of specific forms of being. What I have been reading in relation to Vastu science and design seems geared towards representing the vibration of life, creation and god in a structure, so as to make that structure vibrate in as close to a similar a frequency as possible. In a sense, the Temple constructed in this way becomes a living structure, thus the chakras and representation of the Universe, both in the overall shape and design, and also in the building of the altar from the very foundations of the temple, which Yajvanji described in the beginning of this discussion. This has become my theory for the time being as to a possible answer to the questions he has posed: it is part of the design that breathes life into the Temple itself.

I will have to look up what you mean about Abhijit Nakshatra. I don't know much about Jyotish, though it's a subject I'm looking forward to studying more. I'm awaiting some records on my birth so I can learn my Nakshatra, so I've set that study aside for now.

Thank you so much for sharing the Hymn, Manaji. This is wonderful, it was one of the first I heard and learned as well, though until now I have never heard a traditional rendition of it, and only knew it through a modern interpretation performed as a bhajan. Thank you, it's a piece of warm sun in the winter.

Warm Regards and Pranams
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Last edited by Mana; 19 January 2014 at 05:36 AM.

Dear Aanandinii,

Thank you for your thought provoking posting. Please don't underestimate you mathematical ability; I find that those of mathematical vision often do so, due to lack of confidence, in a world which is rather dominated by calculative thought.

It could be very interesting to consider the Tesseract as an expression of the expansion of the pa�ca mahābhūta from the tanmāntrā; I wonder, have you considered this?

0 = ākāśa = śabda tanmātrā.
    1 = vāyu = śabda + sparśa tanmātrā.
    2 = agni = śabda + sparśa + rūpa tanmātrā.
    3 = jala = śabda + sparśa + rūpa + rasa tanmātrā.
    4 = p
    ṛithvi = śabda + sparśa + rūpa + rasa + gandha tanmātrā.

śāradā tilakaṁ tantram 1.22.

It is of interest to note that the square is given in
    śāradā tilakaṁ, to be the form of the mandala for meditation upon mūlādhāra the planet of which is mangala, of mahatattva agni.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Mana; 19 January 2014 at 05:40 AM.

Namaskar Dear Manaji,

It's a shame there is no emoticon that represents my brain's small explosion when I saw your reply. Indeed no, never put these together, I'm still learning these concepts.

My mind is spinning with many new questions and thoughts. I need time to consider this some from a few angles before I can offer anything even approaching coherent. Wow.

But I didn't want to go for a long time without responding here. And I want to thank you for this as well. I will reply again as soon as i have gathered and ordered my thoughts some. Thank you for this very interesting insight!

Kind Regards and Pranams
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 22 January 2014 at 02:54 PM.
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Thread Information