Thread: Parameters driving the mind

Parameters driving the mind

I was pondering on this for some time. Would like to have your views on this subject.

When we say the state of mind or the karmaphal - what are the parameters which are indicative of that state ? Some of the behavioural patterns are combinations of some basic parameters.

Just like in light the red, yellow and blue are supposed to be the basic colours and the rest are combinationsof these three.

Similarly what might be the basic parameters of the mind.

Two are

1. Ego
    2. Desire

Combine these and we have anger, lust, hatred, envy.

Are there anything else ?

Now with these parameters a person can be lazy or hyperactive or somewhere in between.

This state is defined by combination of Satvik, Rajasik and Tamasic traits.
    Now are these also basic parameters of the mind, which in combination of the above parameters define a person ?

So can I say that state of mind is a Fn of Ego, Desire, Satva, Rajas & Tamas ? Are there anything else ?
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Re: Parameters driving the mind

hariḥ o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

There is an interest to talk of the drivers of the mind... can you inform the reader your definition of what the mind is first ?

If I say 'I'd like to know the drivers (e.g. gas, transmission, power) that makes a car move' , I need to know what a car is before looking for the drivers of it, no ?

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Yjavanji.

The mind can be defined at different levels of understanding. One level is that it is the driver of the body. Just like you see plenty of Toyota Cars on the roads but each of them behave differently - it is not because the cars are having different charateristics but the driver behind the wheels are different.

At another level it is the part of the composition of physical being - which consists of all the three layers of consciousness, subtle matter and gross matter. The mind belongs to the subtle matter. Now this is also the bridge connecting the gross matter to the consciousness. Without mind there is no life is a gross body.

Mind is also the entity which accumulates the karmaphals which becomes a pointer to which body it will get attracted to. This defines the birth in the different lokas. The higher lokas are at subtle levels and the lokas human and below are at the physical level.

These are the explainations which are coming in my mind at present. However I would like to know more on this from the learned ones in this forum.

Vannakkam: In my earlier years of study and intro into raja yoga, the mind was a great study... but that was in English... 5 states,
    conscious, subconscious, sub of the subconscious, superconscious and subsuperconscious, and awareness moving through them all, depending on nature of the individual.

If there is interest, I can expand on this teaching, but if not, I won't.

Aum Namasivaya

Namasthe.

This is a very important question to ponder over and gain some insight.

My Master said that all our thoughts can be classified into four of these
    1. Dharma 2. Artha 3. Kama 4. Moksha. which our scriptures gave as purusharthas for anyone living on earth.
    Most of our thoughts are either Kama or Artha. When mind starts thinking about Moksha then our journey towards Lord started.--IMO

Om

Namaste

Thanks EMji and Yajvanji. Yes I would like to know more on the different level of consciousness - exploring the intigrities of mind - I believe would bring in right understanding to deal with it.

As Yavanji has mentioned that ego - the sense of I and the separatism that evolves out of it are part of the mind. The different faculties of mind are "the intellect (buddhi) , memory or tendencies (citta) or thinking , reflecting , imagining , thought , etc." as mentioned by Yavanji.

The memory, the intellect, the thinking -reflecting-imaging capability, if you analyse, are all enablers for the mind to take the decision / action. Again the level of ego and desire - influence the decision making / action. Now each action contributes back to the factors enabling / influencing the decision / action.

Again if I look at another angle the enablers and influencers are in competition to outdo each others. Winner is the side which is more strong in a particular situation. As I see the influencers pulls one's mind down, the enablers try to push it up. The purpose is to strengthen the enablers more and more such that it can dominate the influencers in all situation.

I am looking for all the influencers. Having knowledge on that will help in directing the intellect to strengthen effectively.

Thread Information