Thread: Flower/plant offerings in colder climates..

Flower/plant offerings in colder climates..

Namaste,

Just wanted to know your thoughts on whether offering things like mint leaves (because they're cooling and fragrant), heather or lavender would be acceptable to Shiva, I have tried with mint already but thought I'd ask here anyway.

I live on the Northern coast of England where the weather can be pretty miserable most of the year and I would prefer to offer plants which grow in our garden, the ones I've mentioned are the most hardy, usually year round and have different qualities like smell, colour, etc. For a month or so in the summer we can get other flowers to grow which could be used but that's just a short time out of the whole year, I would just buy some in but they usually lack something or look like they're on their last legs!

Anybody have any similar problems?
    Shivasya hridayam vishnur: Vishnoscha hridayam shivah

Re: Flower/plant offerings in colder climates..

Why not?

BG 9.26 patram pushpam phalam toyam yo me bhaktyā prayachhatī
    tad aham bhakty-upahritam . ashnami prayatātmanah
    If one offers Me a leaf, flower, fruit or water with an attitude of devotion, service, love, I shall accept it willingly.
    --- Lord Kṛṣṇa in Bhagvad Gītā

Rule of Thumb:

Fragrant Flowers
    Fresh Flowers

For Shiva,
    - white OR
    - fragrant any colour

You can use the mint leaves as garnish on food or fruit offered to Shiva. We generally do not offer just the leaveṣ.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Quote Originally Posted by peasandbones View Post
    Namaste,

Just wanted to know your thoughts on whether offering things like mint leaves (because they're cooling and fragrant), heather or lavender would be acceptable to Shiva, I have tried with mint already but thought I'd ask here anyway.

I live on the Northern coast of England where the weather can be pretty miserable most of the year and I would prefer to offer plants which grow in our garden, the ones I've mentioned are the most hardy, usually year round and have different qualities like smell, colour, etc. For a month or so in the summer we can get other flowers to grow which could be used but that's just a short time out of the whole year, I would just buy some in but they usually lack something or look like they're on their last legs!

Anybody have any similar problems?
    Vannakkam: Some sacred grasses are hardy, but called by a variety of names. Some will also grow as indoor plants. Here in Edmonton Canada we get 2-3 months of flower season only. I generally buy mini-carnations. Uncooked grains of rice can also be offered instead. Basil (tulasi) is sacred as well.

The hardiest garden flower for here is calendula. They're good to -3 or so and usually last 2 to 3 weeks longer than any other. They kind of like it dry, not too wet. Your climate may be wetter than they like, but hilling them some should help. They're also proficiant bloomers here, but we get more sun that you do too.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaskar Peaseandbones,

I live in a somewhat similar climate too. I've read the same as the above suggestions from EMji and AmeyAtma, and would only add that from my reading and in my experience Shiva tends to prefer wild things. I have taken this as inspiration to start walking and hiking more again. I look for wild flowers, colorful or interesting or pretty leaves, wild nuts and berries, and the like. I tend to get great feeling from those offerings.

From the autumn garden, I have offered Lavender and Pansies and Chrysanths, and so far the most hardy flower I've run across is my Violas, which were still blooming earlier this week even after having over a foot of snow dumped on them and melted. Most other flowers and shrubs do not withstand winter here, everything in my garden except the ever greens is asleep, so I buy flowers.

Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Regarding Tulasī Leaves (Basil),

* Tulasī
    Offer Tulasī to / at the Lotus Feet of Shri Vishṇū (all forms of Vishṇū-tattva -- Nārāyaṇ, Kṛṣṇa Rām Nṛsiṃha ... but never their Shaktis i.e. their consorts). Also, each food item offered to Vishṇū (Kṛṣṇa) should be topped with a tulasī leaf if available. Bhagavān Vishṇū 'does not accept' food without Tulasī but He will excuse you if it is unavailable.

* Bel
    Offer Bel Leaves (three leaves on a stem) to Shiva (notice 108 or 1008 name chanting with one 3-way Bel Leaf each on Shivrātrī), and also on food offered to Shiva (if Bel is available).

* Durvā
    Durvā (kusha grass like) is offered to Gaṇesh and on top of food offered to Gaṇesh or Devi Durgā (Shaktī). Typically a bunch of 21 durvā are offered to Gaṇesh .

One durv is a durvā-grass stick with three symmetric grass-blades -- left, center, right. Same with Bel leaveṣ. So, while selecting and sorting Bel and Durvā one usually picks the most uniform and fresh 3-way pieceṣ.

If these are not available, one need not worry, of course. Eastern Mind is a great resource on growing and using them in cold countries where it snowṣ. If he can grow it in cold Canada, then many in other regions caṇ.

I have considered attempting to grow Tulasi indoors actually (safer than being battered by the elements outdoors), I've either put off or half heartedly offered food or milk to Vishnu/Krishna because of the lack of Tulasi, I did think of getting a powdered form which I could use for that purpose but wasn't sure if it would be acceptable in that way or not. Any tips on indoor growing would be great.

ameyAtmA, where do you get your Bel leaves from? I've seen them online but I thought they might end up on the dry/unusable side..

Quote Originally Posted by peasandbones View Post
    I've either put off or half heartedly offered food or milk to Vishnu/Krishna because of the lack of Tulasi
    I don't think that is a good idea. Is it not better to offer it full-heartedy, tulasi or not? This is samarpaṇ - otherwise it would mean you are too anxious about the results . I am doing my best as of this moment. Whether the Lord accepts or rejects is another matter . Kṛṣṇa says "karmaṇyevādhikāraste mā phaleshu kadāchana" (You have the right to and control over actions, not their fruits).

ameyAtmA, where do you get your Bel leaves from?
    ameyAtmA is everywhere, and does not travel (not even in cyberspace) to get bel leaves

On a serious note, I just don't . I am not the doer .

On a still serios note, I just don't becs I hardly ever offer bel to Shiva . I have several Tulasi plants and offer tulasi to Kṛṣṇa everyday.

In any case you easily get these sacred plant products from special puja- vegetation vendors in specific parts of town, in India (tropical country).

Moral of the story -- don't kill yourself over Bel -- I had just given that as FYI - what should be offered to Whom. Shiva understands (and it is certainly not like Vishṇu and His Tulasi) . IF you are persistent - why not ask the pujari ji of your local Shiva mandir?

You're totally right

I'm a bit of a worrier/perfectionist and so even though I know something might not be possible for me to do (and I know they know) I'll have it in the back of my mind. maybe "half-hearted" wasn't the right word though, I do love being able to offer things and I'm happy in doing so but my mind will flit back to "yeah but it's not quite right". As my practice has progressed I've definitely managed to avoid that as much but when something new comes up it comes back, usually after reading five different ways of approaching what it is I'm trying haha.

I think when it comes to specific plants I'll stick to growing Tulasi, now if only winter would start to end already..

Thread Information