Thread: Where to start?

Where to start?

Namaste!

I am getting back into Sanatana Dharma after a while of straying. My first voyage into it wasn't very fruitful in the first place.

I do have a connection to Lord Ganesha, a strong one. I know how to do puja to him, i have quite a few books on puja to him and puja to other Devas/Devis.

I have found out from Vedic Astrology that my Ishta Devata is Maa Durga, my Dharma Devata is Kalki, and my Palana Devata is Lord Ganesha.

I wish to head towards Moksha. I have read the Shrimad Bhagavad Gita and i own the Bhagavad Gita as it is. (i know the Bhagavad Gita is highly recommended to start with) I have a LOT of books actually, and i have just ordered "Living with Shiva", "Dancing with Shiva" and "Merging with Shiva" from Himalayan Academy. I finished one of the three on their free offering a long time ago and liked it so i decided to buy them.

What i am asking basically is, where do i start? What is everyone's opinion? What kind of practices should i consider doing daily?

I am totally lost

Re: Where to start?

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Where to start ?

You will get many replies no doubt. If you try and boil the whole ocean there will be little success.
    If you take it a cup at a time then success is assured ( providing you have a match to light the fire).

If some one is poor the most common advice is ' become rich'. As we know it is easier said then done. So, that said, I do not have an answer for you . Why so ? Because we (me) really do not know you. You will need to take the responsibility for your own growth. What HDF members may offer is some simple guidance. In that vein I offer this:
    • Keep it simple. When you are confused, look to simplicity and see if you strayed from that notion.
    • Look at your behavior and look at your goals. Does your behavior align to your goals ?
    • Knowledge and experience. Both are important. Find the blend. Experiment.

iti śiva

यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste,

I suppose i want to learn scripture and philosophy and get closer to Maa Durga.... Learn how to meditate properly... Proper Sanskrit pronunciation... And also the basics of Sanatana Dharma!

Om

Namaste

As Yajvanji said it is not easy to "become rich". There is no one way to achieve what you want. This is because this a slow moulding of the mind to a state where the mind, body and the supreme become aligned.

We in our childhood read and listened to lots of stories of puranas and also the epics ramayana and mahabharata. These shaped our minds to conform to the goodness. This shaped our mind to judge the what action is aligned to goodness and what is not.

The Bhwagabat Gita is embedded within the Mahabharata - which sets the context to the Gita. Thus the Gita has to be understood in the context of the challenges we face in our lives (as in mahabharata). I found that it takes multiple readings of Gita to comprehend the inner philosophy. It might not be easy to comprehend it in a single go. Rather it would be good to listen to discourses on Gita from some know learned Guru.

To get soaked in the Sanatana Dharma philosophy needs patience and application. It would be good to observe, read, analyse and clarify again and again till you are satisfied. The journey is slow in the begining but gets faster as you move and acquire knowledge.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Namaste Catnip,

Welcome back. I again highly recommend the practice of nama-japa. If you already chant/meditate upon the names of Gods on a daily basis, try increasing the amount of time you devote to this powerful practice.

Reading such scriptures and books is great, and a daily, sustained, and devoted practice of nama-japa will only further enable you to receive the grace and blessings of the Gods. Remember that the divine names are powerful mantras in and of themselves. If you want to grow closer to Durga Maa, simply chant "Durga" or "Aum Durga" and focus on the sound vibrations. You can gaze upon a picture or murti of the goddess while you chant, or you can meditate upon her form in your mind.

It seems like such a simple practice, yet it is a key devotion for both new and experienced Hindus alike, and is suitable for all. Chanting the names of the Gods brings forth their presence within your very consciousness, expands your awareness, makes you more compassionate and devout, and above all is pleasing to the Gods themselves. This seemingly simple practice truly is the application of the most powerful forces in our reality, and that is why the divine names are a central aspect of so many Hindu rituals and devotional practices.

Best wishes on your journey.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Namaste, Catnip.

It's good to see you back. I don't have answers for you, but I can share my experience.

I have experienced the most growth this last year by providing for my basic needs, which I had neglected for many years. I quit drinking and smoking pot. I found a full-time job. I left my mom's house, which is where all the codependent negativity and substance abuse of the family converges by default. I'm (hopefully) getting a suitable apartment in a supportive community this week. I still face many challenges with myself.

Only the Lord's grace has made this possible, and that is something beyond explanation. His love is everywhere. But it is especially strong at the temples and in His devotees. That has given me strength and direction, though I have trouble integrating all of the experiences.

I remember reading of your first temple visit. Have you been back? That proved the best place for me to start.

Love
    "Be the change you wish to see in other people." ~Gandhi

Thread Information