Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ramayan clarification

ramayan clarification

hi,
    I am doing a study on ramayan and need the reference of where is it mentioned tat sita lifts the shiv dhanush in her childhood and janak sees tis ,i hve thoroughly checked balkand of both tulsi & valmiki ramayan bt cannot find it anywhere.I have asked this question in many forums bt no one is able to give the reference.can anyone pls help me in tis matter?any help will be highly appreciated.

Re: ramayan clarification

Quote Originally Posted by keerthi View Post
    hi,
    I am doing a study on ramayan and need the reference of where is it mentioned tat sita lifts the shiv dhanush in her childhood and janak sees tis ,i hve thoroughly checked balkand of both tulsi & valmiki ramayan bt cannot find it anywhere.I have asked this question in many forums bt no one is able to give the reference.can anyone pls help me in tis matter?any help will be highly appreciated.
    It's there, you just didn't look hard enough. Just kidding, but see here and here:
    Last edited by Jaskaran Singh; 03 January 2014 at 09:35 PM.
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Namaste Jaskaran,

The references you have given, both refer only to Rama breaking Shiva Dhanush. They do not show verses where Sita is breaking the dhanusu? Or am I seeing it wrong owing to near-sightedness?
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste Jaskaran,

The references you have given, both refer only to Rama breaking Shiva Dhanush. They do not show verses where Sita is breaking the dhanusu? Or am I seeing it wrong owing to near-sightedness?
    I thought keerti made a typo and actually meant rAma breaking the dhanush at the svayaMvar, I don't know anything about sItA lifting the shiv dhanush, I've never even heard of that (although I do remember reading in the text that parashurAma got angry when the bow was broken).
    Last edited by Jaskaran Singh; 04 January 2014 at 02:59 PM.
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...

Unhappy Re: ramayan clarification

can anyone pls help me in tis matter
    Few popular "stories" (I call them as value additions) do not find their place in Vaalmiki Raamaayan. What we don't find in Vaalmiki Raamaayan should not be considered as truth.

There are stories that Vaalmiki Maharishi was a highway robber but haven't read any proof till date.
    Anirudh...

Actually Sri Velukkudi Krishnan Swami in his 'Ramanin Padhayil' Tamil TV serial did say that Sita playfully took the Shiva Dhanusu which Janaka watched. Sri Krishnan Swami did say that this is what made Janaka come up with the condition that whosoever befits marrying Sita should be capable of lifting the bow and stringing it. I have documented what Swami said here:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...3&postcount=12

Actually Sri Velukkudi Krishnan Swami in his 'Ramanin Padhayil' Tamil TV serial did say that Sita playfully took the Shiva Dhanusu which Janaka watched. Sri Krishnan Swami did say that this is what made Janaka come up with the condition that whosoever befits marrying Sita should be capable of lifting the bow and stringing it. I have documented what Swami said here:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...3&postcount=12
    I'm sorry if this offends you, but I honestly don't like Velukkudi Krishnan and don't trust him. His divyadeshavaibhava upanyAsam wasn't very coherent as he seems to shift from topic to topic and his "anubhAva" is usually just a simplified version of the direct quote, or in some cases doesn't make any sense. For example, his bhAShyam for the first shloka of the paratvAdi pa~nchakam, "dhR^itarathA~NgAbjaM subhUShojvalam" (wearing/holding the chakra [rathA~Nga] and shankha [abjam], [nArAyaNa] radiates when decorated) was "enbathu bhagavAne shanku chakkara" (he's the lord of the conch and disc). Oh geez, wasn't that a "revelation." On top of that, he has a tendency to make very controversial statements.
    Last edited by Jaskaran Singh; 04 January 2014 at 07:05 PM.

I have, to this date, only observed/listened to several upanyasas and presentations by Sri Krishnan Swami. Which have been i) Chatusloki by Alavandar ii) The 108 divya desa video upload as can be seen in YT iii) The path traversed by Rama TV series iv) Thirumalai upanyasam v) 'Can karma be transcended' upanyasa vi) Some miscellaneous upanyasa in Vijay TV's 'Bhakti Tiruvizha' on the kshetra mahamiya of SriRangam.

I have been satisfied with his presentation in the above. I noticed he is very devout. But on 2 occassions I did not like his comments.

Besides, I also didn't like him calling retd. Election Officer to discuss 'Politics during Ramayana times' in an episode of Ramanin Padhayil - seemed like he was making 'right connections' using Rama as an opportunity.

But I respect him for his apparently true devotion. I admire his eloquence in reciting those slokas by-heart.
    Last edited by Viraja; 04 January 2014 at 08:29 PM.

But I respect him for his apparently true devotion. I admire his eloquence in reciting those slokas by-heart.
    I can understand where you're going with that, he does seem to be quite devoted. Still, there are some aspects of shrI vaiShNavism that I just can't agree with. Why does he (and other shrI vaiShNava-s) accept AnDAl as an avatAra of bhUmIdevI, but not consider rAdhA to be an aMsha of shrI lakShmI (they view rAdhA as merely a gopI)? Their argument is that the latter is only mentioned in rAjasika purANam-s (like the padmapurANam) and "tAmasika" purANam-s (like the devi bhAgavatam), yet I've never, ever heard AnDAl mentioned in any shAstra-s. Isn't that kind of a double standard?

Besides, I also didn't like him calling retd. Election Officer to discuss 'Politics during Ramayana times' in an episode of Ramanin Padhayil - seemed like he was making 'right connections' using Rama as an opportunity.
    Hehehe, .
    Last edited by Jaskaran Singh; 04 January 2014 at 09:55 PM.

Namaste Viraja,

Very strange that such things are said by Sri U Ve Krishnan Swami. Agree that he discuss many a things but most of such deviations are related to the parent topic. However, believe that he is genuine. You have told us what you listened in his disclosure. Do you remember the telecast date or some other data to filter the original video.

I am not questioning your integrity but cannot agree with things that are not available in Vaalmiki Raamaayan. In my opinion even Goswami Tulsidas ji's work can not be treated as authentic. For eg, he relates Hanumaan ji with Shiva in his Hanuman Chaalisa but the birth of Hanumaan ji is documented in a different way by Vaalmiki.

Having said, I am a beginner in Sri Vaishnava journey and open to learn.

Thanks in advance.
    Anirudh...

Thread Information