Thread: Bhishma - Pitama

Bhishma - Pitama

I find the character of Bhishma, extremely attractive. He embodies upholding righteousness with a equiposed mind to the best of a manushyas ability.
    I am wondering is there any prayers or mantras dedicated to Bhishma that are actually documented in any scripture?

Re: Bhishma - Pitama

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by IcySupreme View Post
    I am wondering is there any prayers or mantras dedicated to Bhishma that are actually documented in any scripture?
    I would be surprised if there are any.

Bhishma was a great, great man. He embodied all that was good and was highly respected by all. But he did commit one big blunder. On his deathbed he regretted his loyalty to the throne rather than to the (people of the) kingdom. Because of his support of the sitting king - Duryodhan - he let Draupadi be dishonored in the court, he fought the battle on the wrong side and was there when Arjun's son was separated, encircled and killed on the battlefield. All this he realized after the fact. I am not sure why we humans can see the folly of our ways in hindsight and not when we are doing wrong to others. Perhaps lack of contemplative behavior, too full of pride with the feeling, "I can do no wrong". That one bad decision was a major flaw with the otherwise steller life. With a right thinking person as the elder statesman, Duryodhan might have been persuaded to see the light and the war averted. But then the whole jig saw puzzle would have been different. Lord Krishan would not have had the opportunity to give us Bhagwad Gita through his narration to the confused and dejected Arjun on the battlefield. And the epic Mahabharat would not have been as interesting and revered as it is today.

Pranam.

PS BTW, the word is Pitameh, and Pitama is just a lazy way of pronouncing it.

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

bhīṣma terrible, effrayant , fearful; bhīṣma's (beesh-mah) other names are devavrata, gangadatta and dyu. He is one of the 8 vasu-s, the celestials. Now why this name ? ~terrible~ ?
    more here: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1882 look to the 2nd post.

iti śiva
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaskar,
    I am too greatly attracted and fascinated by the Grand Sire Bhishma.I don't know about any particular mantra but I had watched a Serial on Mahabharata and have found a song praising him.This is the one-
    Kshatriya satyawadi cha
    Tapasvi neeyata vrata
    Ripushmati dayavanastha
    Tsamat bhism prishaspithah
    Tsamat bhism prishaspithah.

Kshatriya satyavadicha..
    - Kshatriya refers to the warrior cast he belongs to.
    - Satyavadi means the one who always speaks the truth
    - Ch is a Hindi alphabet and has an independent meaning in Sanskrit.
    - Ch in Hindi means 'Aur'.

Tapasvi niyatavrata

- Sanskrit term tapasya refers to a personal endeavor of discipline, undertaken to achieve a goal, with suffering and pain. It's one among the observances of self-control. One who does tapas is a tapasvin...it refers to suffering and pain.

A Kshatriya who always speaks the truth... And is a tapasvin...

Next term is Niyatavrat
    - Constant in the observance of vows, pious, religious.

A kshatriya(warrior) who is always truthful,a tapasvi(hermit) who is committed to his promises,with so much compassion to forgive ripu(enemy).The person whose ever lasting reminisces are being discussed is none other than Bheeshm.
    Hari bol

Namaste
    Bhishma was the incarnation of one of the Ashta-Vasus. Hence any prayer to the Vasus should please him. Those born with Dhanishta nakshatra are specially enjoined to worship the Vasus as their nakshatra-devata.

Bhishma was also one of the 12 Parama-Bhaagavathas (ie. knew the secret of Bhagavatha dharmam) extolled by Yamaraaja in the Srimad Bhagavatham. Hence he is Pratah smaraniya to Vaishnavas too.

Namaste IcyCosmic Ji,

Wiki says that Prithvi,Agni,Vayu,Antariksha,Aditya,Dyaus,Chandramas,Nakshatras are known as the eight Vasus.

In the Adi Parva of Sriman Mahabharata,it is said that these Vasus was cursed to be born on the earth for stealing the cow of Maharishi Vasishta.
    You can simply worship Lord Mahadeva because according to the Vedas Agni,Surya and Chandra are His three eyes,He is the One who envelopes Antariksha,protects Prithvi,whose breath is Vayu,who controls the Nakshatras.....You can admire Bhisma Pitamaha and practice his wise advices but you must remember that Lord Mahadeva is the in dweller and controller of all,if you worship Lord Shiva for a few minutes daily it is more than enough,no need to think about anything else.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Thread Information