Thread: Ask An Udgātr: Questions About The Most Noble Shrī Sāmaveda

Threaded View

Re: Ask An Udgātr: Questions About The Most Noble Shrī Sāmaveda

Sorry for not responding earlier, I had a physics lab this morning. Anyway, I think you two (sudAs and amRit) didn't read my response to Alter Ego carefully. Alter Ego talked about the shatarudriyam, meaning the nAmakam and chamakam from the yajurveda (the actual shrI rudram), not veyagAnam-s based on verses from various rudra sUktam-s from the R^igveda (like the one you two linked to, which starts with "A vo rAjAnam adhvarasya rudraM hotArAM..."). The actual shrI rudram would be impossible (as far as I can tell) to recite as a sAmagAnam, even with the insertion of stobha-s, as many of the mantram-s [except the invocations] are too prose-like in structure, hence I used the example of "mR^i\_DA no\' rudro\_ta no\_ maya\'skR^idhi..."
    Quote Originally Posted by ameyAtmA View Post
    Certainly Sāma and Ṛg are Husband and Wife. Sāma is Shri Kṛṣṇa [Bhagvad Gitā 10.22 - vedānām sāmavedosmi] and Ṛg ṛchī are His Gopis perpetually glorifying Him, the Supreme Lord [bhāgvat 10.87].
    From a vaiShNava perspective that makes sense, but not all Hindu-s consider the bhagavad gItA or the bhAgavatam as authoritative, so not everyone would agree (I do consider them authoritative; I'm just pointing out that some people might view your statement as a bit sectarian).
    Last edited by Jaskaran Singh; 09 January 2014 at 02:07 PM.
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Thread Information