Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ask An Udgātr: Questions About The Most Noble Shrī Sāmaveda

Re: Ask An Udgātr: Questions About The Most Noble Shrī Sāmaveda

Sorry for not responding earlier, I had a physics lab this morning. Anyway, I think you two (sudAs and amRit) didn't read my response to Alter Ego carefully. Alter Ego talked about the shatarudriyam, meaning the nAmakam and chamakam from the yajurveda (the actual shrI rudram), not veyagAnam-s based on verses from various rudra sUktam-s from the R^igveda (like the one you two linked to, which starts with "A vo rAjAnam adhvarasya rudraM hotArAM..."). The actual shrI rudram would be impossible (as far as I can tell) to recite as a sAmagAnam, even with the insertion of stobha-s, as many of the mantram-s [except the invocations] are too prose-like in structure, hence I used the example of "mR^i\_DA no\' rudro\_ta no\_ maya\'skR^idhi..."
    Quote Originally Posted by ameyAtmA View Post
    Certainly Sāma and Ṛg are Husband and Wife. Sāma is Shri Kṛṣṇa [Bhagvad Gitā 10.22 - vedānām sāmavedosmi] and Ṛg ṛchī are His Gopis perpetually glorifying Him, the Supreme Lord [bhāgvat 10.87].
    From a vaiShNava perspective that makes sense, but not all Hindu-s consider the bhagavad gItA or the bhAgavatam as authoritative, so not everyone would agree (I do consider them authoritative; I'm just pointing out that some people might view your statement as a bit sectarian).
    Last edited by Jaskaran Singh; 09 January 2014 at 02:07 PM.
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Namaste Jaskaran

Sri Rudram apart, I just wanted to know the uniqueness of samveda. I am not well versed in sanskrit. If possible kindly explain in simple way.

I think you and Sudas can make quality educational threads on veda-s. Most here speak much about vedanta.

Husband-wife relation between veda-s is a Vaishnava view. Though we (vedantins, in general) regard Bhagavad Gita (and Bhagavat Purana) as authentic, the interpretation differs greatly.

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Jaskaran Singh View Post
    From a vaiShNava perspective that makes sense, but not all Hindu-s consider the bhagavad gItA or the bhAgavatam as authoritative, so not everyone would agree (I do consider them authoritative; I'm just pointing out that some people might view your statement as a bit sectarian).
    Agreed, but what is behind this apparent sectarian perspective, [which is really not so sectarian]? Ans: The non-sectarian statements that followed the sectarian one :
    Quote Originally Posted by ameyAtmA View Post
    Sāma is the Ved that brings ecstatic Love of the Supreme, adding aesthetics & sāma gāyan shāstra to the Ṛg ṛchīs.
    EDIT: This Supreme Divine ecstatic love and happiness is depicted as the transcendental Soma Ras, ENDEDIT
    which has to be filtered from its Infinite Universal form ...
    This means, Ṛg provides the content of the ṛchī -- beautiful praise of the Supreme via various names . Then Sāma takes this and adds aesthetics, shāstrīya sangeet (classical music), chhanda (rhythm, taal), thereby adding ecstacy, providing ecstatic Love of God and happiness arising from it, to the devotee/ṛshi/purohit/yajmān . This is symbolized as Soma Ras .

Therefore they are husband-wife , they work together, and one cannot do without the other, to create this harmony and music.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiaspirituality Amrut View Post
    Husband-wife relation between veda-s is a Vaishnava view. Hari OM
    Are you sure? Here is where it comes from:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaskaran Singh View Post
    According to the ekAgni kANDam of the yajurveda, the sAmaveda and R^igveda are like husband and wife.

Please see my post before this one - for the non-sectarian view.
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 10 January 2014 at 07:57 AM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Namaste,

Husband wife means purush and prakruti and not love relationship like Radha-Gopala.

Purush means omnipresent entity and not a particular person. When we say 1000 eyes, 1000 hands, etc, it may not be taken as description of a human form. It means omnipresence. The description is depicted in picture form.

I am open to change my view if a specific verse says so and is not to be taken as arthavAda.

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information