Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roots of Shakti.

Re: Roots of Shakti.

Quote Originally Posted by Devi Dasi View Post
    Hare Krsna,

Whatever system the Buddhists have it is NOT Vedic Varnasrama, because they don't follow the Vedas. Whether or not culturally they kept some remnant of a social caste-jati system is not the same as varnasrama. While some early brahmin converts to Buddhism may have kept their varna identification, this is not any formal part of Buddhist religion because Varnasrama is part of Vedic Sanskruti and Buddhism formally rejected it.

And the point is, about the blond hair and blue eyes, which is just a variant of British Aryan invasion theory.... nonsense.

As for Sikh's, they are Hindu's with a British corrupted rejection of their roots, nothing more and nothing less. Of course they have caste surnames. What does it have to do with Lord Buddha promoting Brahmins with dyed blonde hair to maintain an appearance of a racial remnant, as per Aryan being a WHITE caucasian race interpolated by British scholars?

There are no Buddhist brahmins because brahmins uphold the primacy of the Vedas. For what purpose a "brahmin" who doesn't even believe in Vedas?

Caste-jati is not the same thing as varnasrama and only indicates a population has Hindu origin, which we know Lord Buddha did as do Sikhs. Varnasrama has to do with maintaining Vedic Dharma, quite an impossibility when you dispense with Vedas.

I would like to know the Kshatriya varna of Buddhists, please. Where are they located?
    Oh , I get you now. I am sorry I did not read your previous post correctly

There is not a single line in the pali canon which explicitly suggests that Buddha rejected jati-vada or caste system . The only difference is that the shramana lifestyle is hailed upon as the best.

Buddha quotes:

Buddha--"The Kshatriya is the best of those among this folk
    who put their trust in lineage" (ambatta sutta/tevijja sutta/assalayana sutta))

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/dob/dob-03tx.htm

Buddha-- "Monks , an enlightened person is born only out of two lineages-Brahmana and Kshatriya" (Lalitavistara sutra)

http://read.84000.co/browser/release...84-046-001.pdf

As of those racist quotes, they are not mine .They are from buddhist canon and I have provided the reference.

Buddha does not reject the Vedic canon as whole. Infact , he credits kapila, bharadwaja , vashishta , bhrigu and many other sages of the veda.

He opposes karmakanda or Vedic ritual system , but such an opposition is also present in the Upanishads.(Where jnana marga is deemed to be superior to karma marga) .The only Veda he explicitly rejects is atharva veda(Because of its spells)

Anyways, I agree that this cannot be called varnashrama. It is jati vada.

I am not attributing racism or casteism to vedic varnashrama dharma .I have always maintained that there is no casteism or racism in varnashrama system .It is my mistake that I have used the word varnashrama in place of caste system

Quote Originally Posted by Devi Dasi View Post

There are no Buddhist brahmins because brahmins uphold the primacy of the Vedas. For what purpose a "brahmin" who doesn't even believe in Vedas?
    I agree , but many Buddhist Brahmins proclaimed themselves "upholders of three vedas" . Some of them were Buddha's disciples , and Buddha did not have a problem with it.

In sanchi stupa inscriptions , "tripitaki" "trivedi" and chaturvedi" were the titles given to (Brahmin) Buddhist monks .

One might say that they don't really follow vedas , but even the kaula-shaivasiddantas and Agamas do not follow vedas and actually criticise them.
    Last edited by Alter ego; 16 January 2014 at 06:02 AM.

Namaste friends,

I just have 1 question to ask - since I am very interested to know about Sri Lalitha Maha Tripura Sundari (Raja Rajeswari/Kamakshi), is she not mentioned in the vedas? Or is she? Thanks.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Dear AE,

Quote Originally Posted by Alter ego View Post

In the meantime , I will give you a reference to those "neo-Nazi" verses of buddhacharita-

Grains of gold-- Tales of a Cosmopolitan Traveler By Gendun Chopel (page 131)

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=X...ahmins&f=false
    Here is Buddhacharita in both Samskrita and English verses :
    http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.ne...ddhacarita.pdf

The only reference to yellow hair goes to Mara,an aggressive demigod symbolizing death.The eyes "like blue lotuses" does occur though,i think it is a metaphor....like you you know "eagle's eye" .

Which brahmana? Where? Can you please provide the reference
    Here http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/sbr/sbe44/sbe44023.htm

In the Brahmanaspati verse you posted on the other thread, the notion of creator may have been in reference to aditi . It is said that creativity commenced in uttanapad(squatting) position .It follows by saying " Aditi was born from daksha, and daksha from Aditi"
    Can you please confirm if the tern uttanapad refers to squatting position?
    "Only one is the fire,which is inflamed in numerous ways.Only one is the sun, which pervades the whole universe.Only one is the dawn,which illuminates all things. Similarly,all that exists is The One and it has manifested into everything here.”

~ Rg Veda 8.58.2

Namaste Viraja

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste friends,

I just have 1 question to ask - since I am very interested to know about Sri Lalitha Maha Tripura Sundari (Raja Rajeswari/Kamakshi), is she not mentioned in the vedas? Or is she? Thanks.

Sri Tripura Sundari/Bhuvaneshvari/Rajarajeshvari etc are forms of Sri Parvati....i'm trying to figure out if Sri Parvati is mentioned in any of the Vedic corpus,let alone Sri Tripura Sundari
    "Only one is the fire,which is inflamed in numerous ways.Only one is the sun, which pervades the whole universe.Only one is the dawn,which illuminates all things. Similarly,all that exists is The One and it has manifested into everything here.”

~ Rg Veda 8.58.2

Quote Originally Posted by Aryavartian View Post
    Dear AE,

Here is Buddhacharita in both Samskrita and English verses :
    http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.ne...ddhacarita.pdf

The only reference to yellow hair goes to Mara,an aggressive demigod symbolizing death.The eyes "like blue lotuses" does occur though,i think it is a metaphor....like you you know "eagle's eye" .

Here http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/sbr/sbe44/sbe44023.htm

Can you please confirm if the tern uttanapad refers to squatting position?
    Buddhacharita--

I have already provided the reference , and will come up with the verse or lack thereof.

Sri--

You don't get me. Shri is a personification of fortune and bounty (or fame) that is created by prajapati . The Devas instantly share her, and she performs a yagna to restore her virtues. No where is shri worshiped or extolled (As in shri suktam)

uttanapada--

Yes
    Last edited by Alter ego; 16 January 2014 at 09:19 AM.

Namaste

The real teaching of Dharma is not be fixated on names and forms. Parvati Devi is the mother of this universe. Her name is not important but her understanding. If your question is from scholarly point of view then answer is that the name parvati devi is not mentioned in Veda Samhitas. Among shruti, we see in Kena upanishad that she is the revealer of brahman. However from point of the the dharm, Veda is full of praises about the mother Godess. It just uses various names like Aditi or devi for the concept. She is repeatedly praised and her creative aspect is described in various hymns.
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Namaste

There are many Vedic Devas and Devi of supreme praise that are today basically ignored.

There are many Hindu Devas and Devi today given supreme praise that are basically ignored in the Vedas.

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Alter ego View Post
    Buddhacharita--

Sri--

You don't get me. Shri is a personification of fortune and bounty (or fame) that is created by prajapati . The Devas instantly share her, and she performs a yagna to restore her virtues. No where is shri worshiped or extolled (As in shri suktam)
    She may not be worshiped,but the personification of Sri is evident from this Brahmana passage.Similar is the case of Kumara/Skanda/Murugan.He also finds mention in the same Brahmana,but not yet worshiped.

uttanapada--

Yes
    Any good reference?

~ Rg Veda 8.58.2

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste

There are many Vedic Devas and Devi of supreme praise that are today basically ignored.

There are many Hindu Devas and Devi today given supreme praise that are basically ignored in the Vedas.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Namaste ShivaFan,

You are somewhat right,but keep in mind that most of the leading Devas and Devis of Hindu pantheon are evolved from the Vedic pantheon.

Also,i won't say Vedas ignored the present Gods which we worship(like Ganesha for an example) but they were later developments.

~ Rg Veda 8.58.2

Quote Originally Posted by Aryavartian View Post
    She may not be worshiped,but the personification of Sri is evident from this Brahmana passage.Similar is the case of Kumara/Skanda/Murugan.He also finds mention in the same Brahmana,but not yet worshiped.

Any good reference?
    uttanapada=uttana+pada.

uttana=outspread; extended; face upwards; upturned; shallow, superficial; wide open; ready to hand; i-ta, cs. pp. opened wide; �-kri, open wide; �-bh�, be spread out

http://dsalsrv02.uchicago.edu/cgi-bi...able=macdonell

pada=foot
    Last edited by Alter ego; 16 January 2014 at 11:19 AM.

Thread Information