Thread: When Religion and Spirituality Lead One Elsewhere?

When Religion and Spirituality Lead One Elsewhere?

Namaste HDF,

I've been feeling quite happy as of late...I know, how unusual of me, posting in a positive mental state on these forums. It does bring up an interesting dharma question in me, however, the exact circumstances of my happiness...

I've been keeping up my yogic practices like meditation, pranayama, etc. (i.e. yoga more towards the bhakti/karma end) more frequently, which is good, but I've found that lately, the things that have been triggering the most happiness in me are the communities that seem to have nothing to do with religion or spirituality. For example, people here know I like video games (and other types of games), if some of my other threads are any indication , and as of late, I've discovered ways to enjoy them more via certain sub-communities within video games that are, well, more pleasant for me to interact with than others.

That's not to say the Hindu communities I've interacted with are bringing me any less joy, no way! I still greatly enjoy interacting with the Hindu communities I've encountered, i.e. the one here and the local Hindu community in my real life.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that thanks to Hinduism and the Hindu communities I've encountered...I'm enjoying life outside of them more. I hope that makes sense.

Hopefully I'm not developing any wrong/incorrect mindsets here...if anyone has any input on this, I'd love to hear it.

Re: When Religion and Spirituality Lead One Elsewhere?

Namaste,

If you think Hinduism or Hindu-way of thinking has influenced you to enjoy yourself in settings that are outside of the prayer/worship mode, then you should really rejoice in such a blessing!

To me, 'what is god' is essentially an appreciation of all human beings for what they have to share with us. From the eminent scientist to the pizza-maker, from the regular office-goer to the efficient homemaker, from all walks of people, we learn something. The lesson may be trivial to notice, but the messages are all along. With careful observation, I see that in the 30 - 40 yr service that humanity forces an individual to do, to earn a living for himself, what is given along is a 'training' in industry, dutifulness, commitment, honesty and truthfulness, wakefulness, restraint, and a mix of other good traits. I am seeing all around me and am readily recognizing these traits - it appears to me god gave us the concept of 'money' to emphasize these good traits in us for the entire lifetime and thus to elevate us higher up the birth order. I see someone efficient in his chosen field of study or work and I think to myself, 'this is nothing but a blessing from god'.

They say, 'not an atom moves without his willing'. Similar to what you say, I am able to see all around me, happenings, good or bad, and it makes me immediately think of god and his 'lila'.

This is what I have been thinking that someone really needs to do in order to ascend spiritually - to look around and be really appreciative of everything the great 'sight' has given us to see, and to appreciate god for having given us the ability to appreciate.

I hope to have atleast partially addressed your question, if not, my bad.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste Viraja,

That response actually addressed my concerns perfectly. And yes, I genuinely believe Hinduism has enhanced my appreciation for things outside the context of Hinduism. I feel the primary reason for this is because I finally understand how I should appreciate myself thanks to Hinduism...and one should appreciate oneself before one can love others.

So what you said makes perfect sense to me.

Namaskar webimpulse bhai,

It is nice to know that you have been a positive state of mind lately. Yes, sometimes people we interact with have a positive influence on us. I think happiness is something to be shared with others. It is nice to know you are having a good time interacting with video game folks. Our happiness to some extent depends on our likes and passions. For example, when Indian Cricket team are doing well, I feel extremely happy. The main challenge is how to remian happy when things are going well to you or your loved ones.
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Thread Information