Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worship when in pain?

Worship when in pain?

Hari Om!

I have a disease that is basically the beginning stages of lupus. I was wondering if it was ok to do Japa Maala in bed on days that i have a lot of pain and cannot sit before the altar....

Jai Ganesha!

Re: Worship when in pain?

Namaste Catnip,

I read your previous posts, understand you are facing health problems for quite some time. I do not know what our scriptures talk about Jaap Maala and its procedure.

I am just sharing my personal experiences and what works for me.

I strongly feel, one can and should pray even if he can't move out of the bed. Only pre requisite is the intention to pray. Sometimes our mind will not be ready or completely exhausted. But if you keep praying, illness will disappear from your mind.

Visit a hospital, you ll find many patients who can't even move. When their body is suffering from acute pain in spite of the medication who will be their saviour?

Your conditions will test your resolve. You can go off the track. You ll feel guilty and might stop praying, but don't worry. After a break continue from where you left.

Good Luck to you, may Shree Raama Chandra Prabhu be with you all the time
    Anirudh...

Hari Om Anirudh!

I did go off the track for a few months actually! I don't know how I feel about it.... But i am back and i am trying........... trying. I have been rather depressed and mixed up on my psych meds as well as the physical stuff so i haven't been able to bring myself to do much........ But i am trying and Lord Ganesha and Lord Shiva and Maa Durga know that! Lord Ganesha has been coaching me through... I will try to do Japa Maalaa more often!

Jai Ganesha!

Quote Originally Posted by catnip View Post
    Hari Om!

I have a disease that is basically the beginning stages of lupus. I was wondering if it was ok to do Japa Maala in bed on days that i have a lot of pain and cannot sit before the altar....

Jai Ganesha!
    Hare Krsna,

Yes of course, the ultimate altar is in your heart where the Lord resides. Only be sure to have a place to set mala to keep it clean from impurities like a beadbag or cloth or container when you are not using. You can also use acaman cup at bedside to cleanse your body very simply as a purification.

uttama hañā vaiṣṇava habe nirabhimāna
    jīve sammāna dibe jāni' 'kṛṣṇa'-adhiṣṭhāna

"Although a Vaiṣṇava is a most exalted person, he is prideless and gives
    all respect to everyone, knowing everyone to be the resting place of Kṛṣṇa."
    -Śrī Caitanya Caritāmṛta Antya 20.25

I always keep my Maalaas in bags! How would i do the purification? I usually use showers for that...

Hare Krsna,

http://www.iskcondesiretree.net/page...ping-water-for

Vedic Culture - How To Put On Tilak & Do Acaman!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBCNY-4yZ7g
    uttama hañā vaiṣṇava habe nirabhimāna
    jīve sammāna dibe jāni' 'kṛṣṇa'-adhiṣṭhāna

"Although a Vaiṣṇava is a most exalted person, he is prideless and gives
    all respect to everyone, knowing everyone to be the resting place of Kṛṣṇa."
    -Śrī Caitanya Caritāmṛta Antya 20.25

Hari Om!

You are a blessing no longer in disguise!

Yes, by all means as has been stated above please continue jap in bed. Gurumantra or otherwise, don't give up. Some may find illness as excuse and I admire you for not giving in.

All the best to you.

Om

Hari Om

Thank you! I will keep going!

Jai Ganesha!

Namaste Catnip,

The only thing needed is your will. Do what you can and leave the rest.

You can also pray to the Lord to cure your disease. There is nothing wrong in it.

Japa is not a process. You calm your mind when you chant any mantra. If it had been a yogic kriya like conscious raising of kundalini, then you should maintain certain posture and observe certain disciple.

Simply clean japa maalaa with dry cloth and keep chanting. Even if you do not use maalaa, still it is ok.

Afterall inner purification is more important than external purification. You can chant name when you feel to chant without mAlA. There is no restriction on how much or how many times you should chant.

When you recover, continue the daily routine. Good luck for faster recovery.

character building is very important. when things do not go your way, accept it with a smile, as you cannot change it. So better accept it with smile. Forgive all those who cause you pain. One of my family friend has immediate relief from a neck and back pain after she forgive one of close relative.

So forgive and forget. visualize a picture of all those who have hurt you one by one and pray mentally say, 'I forgive you'. Repeat it 6-10 times. and then wait for 2 minutes. Then visualize another person and repeat the same.

What you are suffering is due to fruits of karma in past. How you interpret present situation and how you react depends upon you. in this way, the steps you take i.e. do karma, are decisive in shaping your future. So your future is in your hand and you have free will, but for what you are suffering today is predetermined destiny.

It is like seeing half glass filled and half glass empty. Positive approach is very important.

I am saying this because i have seen that most problems are of emotional origin, and from spiritual POV all diseases are of mental origin. Accept everyone and situation 'as it is' and many people have felt their their mental burden is greatly reduced. Physical illness can be tackled in a better away if mind is healthy.

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Just got this quote in my inbox

If you are a good person, who made you good? If you are a bad person, who made you bad? It is you; you made yourself good or bad. It is your own will, your own desire. You became the creator of your own condition, misery, joy or happiness. - Paramhansa Hariharananda
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information