Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Om namo bhagavate vasudevaya

Smile Om namo bhagavate vasudevaya

Namaste HDF,

I was taught the mantra that is the subject of this post by fellow forum member ameyAtma (thank you, BTW ). I have found it helpful not only in meditation, but also in everyday life - the mantra really seems to calm me down and bring me happiness.

I'm more curious about this mantra now - what does it mean, exactly, and what is it supposed to do? Also, are there other mantras to Lord Krishna that I should be aware of?

Re: Om namo bhagavate vasudevaya

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Namaste HDF,

I was taught the mantra that is the subject of this post by fellow forum member ameyAtma (thank you, BTW ). I have found it helpful not only in meditation, but also in everyday life - the mantra really seems to calm me down and bring me happiness.

I'm more curious about this mantra now - what does it mean, exactly, and what is it supposed to do? Also, are there other mantras to Lord Krishna that I should be aware of?
    Namaste,

if this mantra is effective, please stick to it. No need to go anywhere else. I think it is beej mantra and it is very powerful. Afterall you are chanting name of the Lord, who is all powerful. Have faith in him.

Maybe some knowledgeable members can give technical details

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste WebImpulse

om namo bhagavate vāsudevāya
    This is a sacred dvādashāksharī (12-syllable) mantra addressing the Supreme Lord, Supreme Bramhan' as Vāsudeva.[/

Om (Aum) – is shabda bhramhan’ . It is called Omkār. For understanding of what Omkār is please read mānḍukya Upanishad. All sacred Vedic mantra and all sacred Vedic speech starts with Om . It is the sound incarnation of Bramhan’, literally without the grossly manifest sound (vaikharī), but in its most subtle (parā) form , as the anahat nāda (nāda bramhan’). This is the most primary way to address Bramhan’ using sound vibrations

Namo – namāmi, Namaste, naman -- vandan : Salutation, obeissances, address or invocation with respect, praṇām , and also, surrender. You fold your palms and bow down to the Divine via namo

Bhagavate -- comes from bhāga = opulence, grandeur, [bhāgya, airshvarya]. Therefore ,”O Bramhan who is the owner of all bhāga”, i.e. Who is Bhagavān i.e. Who has the following 6 oppulences in full amounts :
    1)Shri (wealth) 2) kīrtī (fame) 3) shaktī (strength) 4) jñāna (knowledge, wisdom) 5) lāvaṇya (beauty) 6) vairāgya (renunciation).
    Despite having all these qualities, He is fully renounced, He is never attached to them.

Vāsudevāya --- āya is the suffix in saṃskṛt for addressing with TO. I offer obeissances TO vāsudeva, Who is
    a) Son of Vasudeva [and Devakī] i.e. Kṛṣṇa
    b) Who has vās (residence, existence) everywhere. Who IS everywhere. There is no place He is not i.e. omnipresent
    c) Vāsudeva is the primordial ‘vyuha’ (whorl) of the chaturvyuha viz. ‘VāsudevàSankarshaṇàPradyumnaàAniruddha’ the other three whorls emanating out of the Original Bhagvān Vāsudev. This is described as the origin of godhead in the pancharātric system of worship, such as nārad pancharātra

So, om namo bhagavate vāsudevāya means
    O Supreme Bhagavān Vāsudeva Who is also represented by the shabda bramhan Omkār, my respectful obeissances to You.

A few things about this mantra:

1. Regarding the Supreme being addressed as OM, Bhagavate and Vāsudev, the shrimad bhāgvat states that ṛshīs (seers) call the same principle or substance (tattva) as a) Bramhan’ b) Paramātmā c) Bhagavān

Bhāgvat 1.2.11 vadantitattattvavidastattvam yajñānamadvayam |
    Bramheti paramātmeti bhagavāniti shabdyate ||
    The seers/Rshi-muni/knowers of Truth (tattva-vida), call this non-dual(advayam) principle (tattva) of knowledge (jñānam) as Bramhan', Paramātmā or Bhagvān.

2. This mantra is given by Devaṛshī Nārad to the 5 year old Dhruva who left the kingdom to perform austerities in the forest to please Bhagavān Vishṇū and get back his rightful share of the kingdom. Now think – this happened way back in Satya Yug, long before Kṛshṇāvatār in the 28th Dvāpar Yug. If Devaṛshī knew Vāsudeva at the time it means Vāsudeva stands for the three things listed above (a,b,c ) as explanations for the word vāsudev in the mantra. [His father in Kṛshṇāvatār is named Vasudev not by accident, but just so he can be the father of Bhagavān Vāsudeva.]

Bhāgvat 4.8.54 om namo bhagavate vāsudevāya |[/
    Mantreṇānena devasya kuryād dravyamayīm budhah: |
    Saparyām vividhairdravyairdeshakālavibhāgavit ||
    An intelligent person should chant this mantra ‘om namo bhagavate vāsudevāya’ taking into consideration nation and era, using various kinds of tools and utensils of oppulent worship.

[Devarshi Nārad says the above to Dhruva while explaining mānaspūja of Vishṇu - meditation on Vishṇu form, then chanting this mantra as japa and worshipping Him via oppulent means .]

3. This mantra is a moksha mantra, i.e. it gives liberation.

om namo bhagavate vāsudevāya
    Last edited by ameyAtmA; 19 January 2014 at 03:20 AM. Reason: removed font script -- embedded due to cut-paste from MS Word
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Dear Friend,

One can say so much about this beautiful and most powerful mantra....

A very rough translation is

Om - symbolic representation of Parabramha [usually pre-fixed to several mantras]
    Namo - [I] bow
    Bhagavate - Supreme-most God
    Vaasudevaaya - Here two types of explanations can be given
    - He who dwells inside everything
    - Son of Vasudeva
    Both of which mean the same ...Sri Maha Vishnu or Sri Krishna

When we talk about this beautiful mantra, one of its earliest reference comes in the Puranas...

in Srimad Bhagavatam, 4.8, Sri Naarada Muni, Manasa[Mind] putra [son] of Chatur mukha Bramha, advises this great mantra to one of the greatest devotees of Sri Vishnu, Dhruva, son of Suniti and Uttamapaada...

Sri Narada first very beautifully describes Maha Vishnu as follows...

When meditating on this mantra, by projecting the below mentioned description in one's heart, one can very easily immerse in that Paramaathma...

He who is always directed towards bestowing His Divine Prasada[cannot find an english word to do justice here]
    Eternally blissful face with beautiful eyes, nose, eye brows,
    The most beautiful among-st all Divine personalities
    The most youthful and ever attractive...every part of His divine body is perfection...
    The color of His lips and eyes resemble the rays of a rising sun..
    He who is the ocean of mercy...who is always ready to provide complete shelter to those who approach Him, from the materialistic griefs...
    He who has the Divine Shrivatsa mark[symbolic representation on Sri Maha Lakshmi] on His chest...
    He who is of the Divine pleasant blue color...
    He who is the Supreme most Purusha...he who has those four hands, holding the Shankha [Divine Conch], Chakra [Sudharshana], Gadha [Divine club] and a lotus flower...wearing a garland made out of Tulasi and other flowers...
    He who wears the Kirita [crown] and Kundali [earings]...adorned with Kaustubha mani...wearing a yellow garment....
    He whose face is ever calm, pleasant and full of mercy..
    He who is ever smiling to a devotee who thinks of Him....
    He who is situated in the heart of each and everyone....

when one thinks of Sri Vaasudeva in their heart and chants the "Om name bhagavate Vaasudevaaya", as Sri Naarada muni says, one can very easily transcend the materialistic Universe and reach Paramaathma...

Note: Please see this link which has a very beautiful picture of the above mentioned explanation...
    http://www.wallpaperswala.com/wp-con...god-vishnu.jpg

Namaste Webimpulse,

This link offers some info on this mantra, although as Ameyatma ji states (in the next post), it might not be accurate info that this mantra was taken out of this stotra: http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/s...messages/31830

Pranam.
    Last edited by Viraja; 22 January 2014 at 09:22 AM.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    'Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya' seems to be from 'Madhusudhana Stotra' - see this link which explains about the same and gives out the stotra: http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/s...messages/31830

First akshara from each sloka together make up the stuthi.
    Namaste Viraja,

Very interesting. However, this does not prove which came first -- the dvādashāksharī mantra itself or Madhusūdan Stotra. I would say the former did.

Nārad Muni imparted this mantra to Dhruv way back in Kṛta Yug eons ago, and Kṛshṇa Dvaipāyana Vedavyās is telling us so, at the sandhyā of the 28th dvāpar-kali.
    The Madhusūdan Mantra is composed by Shuka Muni, son of Kṛshṇa Dvaipāyana VedaVyās (our current Vyās). It only makes sense that he composed Madhusūdan Stotra using each of the 12 syllables of this mantra. That would be a piece of cake for someone like him.

Therefore, IMHO, it is kind of misleading and in fact incorrect to say "This mantra seems to be from the Madhusūdan Stotra." (om namo bhagavate vāsudevāya) as it gives the impression that the stotra is where the mantra was first introduced. I would request you to edit that part, if you agree. thanks.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Thank you, Ameyatma -- I am editing my original reply.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste

If oḿ namo bhagavate vāsudevāya is real Vedic mantra then does not matter is this mantra mentioned for the first time sooner or later, whether it is first mentioned by Narada or someone else because it is the eternal Vedic mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post

This mantra is referred to in some shruti scriptures such as Nrisimha tapani Upanishad. However it is mentioned in the opening verse of Bhagavatam (http://vedabase.net/sb/1/1/1/en) :

oḿ namo bhagavate vāsudevāya
    janmādy asya yato 'nvayād itarataś cārtheṣv abhijñaḥ svarāṭ
    tene brahma hṛdā ya ādi-kavaye muhyanti yat sūrayaḥ
    tejo-vāri-mṛdāḿ yathā vinimayo yatra tri-sargo 'mṛṣā
    dhāmnā svena sadā nirasta-kuhakaḿ satyaḿ paraḿ dhīmahi

"O my Lord, Śrī Kṛṣṇa, son of Vasudeva, O all-pervading Personality of Godhead, I offer my respectful obeisances unto You. ..."

It is usually said that opening and ending verses of a book describe the contents and purpose of the book. Taking into account the fact that the Bhagavatam begins with this mantra, and also taking into account the fact that Lord Krishna is the sum and substance of the entire Bhagavatam, it would be beneficial to study the entire Bhagavatam so that you could properly understand the meaning of the mantra.

There are also other Krishna mantras. Gaudiya vaishnavas and some other vaishnavas chant Hare Krishna maha mantra mentioned in the Kalisantarana Upanishad.

regards

One of the few mantras that enter deep in my heart upon hearing it, specially when uttered by Pandit Jasraj. There's a connection established, no doubt.

thank you for telling its meaning to us.

Thread Information