Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prayaschitta

Prayaschitta

Vannakkam: Sometimes we feel a bit guilty over deeds, intentional, or unintentional. Prayaschitta is the intentional action intended to help out with this. It's meant to be any purifying action we can undertake. Here's a link that explains it in more detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pr%C4%81ya%C5%9Bcitta

I often feel so inclined. I guess I must have erred a few times.

Thoughts? What have you done, how did it work out, what would you consider?

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Prayaschitta

I feel bad for having posted the 'Ganapathi pooja in Vaishnavism' thread - it had been bothering me for quite a while...It sounded like I dislike Lord Ganapathi in that thread, while in reality, I pray to him everyday. (I don't know why I wrote that topic in the first place, guess I'm little impulsive sometimes...).

So I take up this opportunity for prayaschittha by saying this out loud and praying to Lord Ganesh to forgive me.

As for one part of your 3 questions, EM ji, which says 'What would you consider?', I would like to reply that in a heterocultural forum as this one, one should have a really strong will and tolerance level if their faith is tested to not to retaliate, it would definitely benefit if someone has an inbuilt liking for all devatas because then tolerance would naturally come by.

Jai Ganesha!

jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste,

During the course of interaction with people, sooner or later, somebody is bound to get hurt, either intentionally, when in a fit of anger, or unintentionally when action is taken in a foggy state of mind. Praye-sh-chit is the act of setting it straight. My two fold act is to feel the remorse as soon as it becomes evident that I have erred and resolve to not repeat it; and to reach out to the hurt person with a sincere apology. Praye-sh-chit is done as much for the benefit of the wrong doer as for the victim. When I atone for my wrongdoing (not the Xitian sin), it gives me a great relief and peace of mind to silently confess the error, rebuke myself, resolve to not repeat it and then to offer an apology to the offended person.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

During the course of interaction with people, sooner or later, somebody is bound to get hurt, either intentionally, when in a fit of anger, or unintentionally when action is taken in a foggy state of mind. Praye-sh-chit is the act of setting it straight. My two fold act is to feel the remorse as soon as it becomes evident that I have erred and resolve to not repeat it; and to reach out to the hurt person with a sincere apology. Praye-sh-chit is done as much for the benefit of the wrong doer as for the victim. When I atone for my wrongdoing (not the Xitian sin), it gives me a great relief and peace of mind to silently confess the error, rebuke myself, resolve to not repeat it and then to offer an apology to the offended person.

Pranam.
    Vannakkam Believer et al: Generally I will take it one step further, and assign myself a bit of penance like an action towards that person, or a walk to the temple instead of a cozy car. Then, during the walk, I'll focus on it, and setting the mind straight about not repeating the same movie. It's does have a clearing, cleansing effect.

Aum Namasivaya

I believe in the benefits of Prayaschitta, especially public vows or to a Hindu priest, to be a penance or to ward off evil as well.

The problem is to get advice as to which penance.

My "easy" one is a vow to give "xyz" devotion for "x" time to a particular Devata, or to the Devi.

Those promises, along with tirthayatra are, well, really fun and not penance!

hmmmm... who to ask?

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    I believe in the benefits of Prayaschitta, especially public vows or to a Hindu priest, to be a penance or to ward off evil as well.

The problem is to get advice as to which penance.

My "easy" one is a vow to give "xyz" devotion for "x" time to a particular Devata, or to the Devi.

Those promises, along with tirthayatra are, well, really fun and not penance!

hmmmm... who to ask?

Om Namah Sivaya
    Vannakkam AF: My Guru(s) would assign penance in special circumstances, or you can do it yourself, or a combination of both, where you decide, but ask for blessings.

I used to do 108 prostrations to Ganesha the day before each school year, back when I taught. Right now I'm on a more arduous vow ... attend temple at least 365 times in a calendar year ... started last Tamil New Year. I'm somewhat ahead in days now, so the last couple months should go easier. Some days it's been hard though.

Maybe you could put a suggestion here, and we can vote on whether or not you should do it.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM

Oh my, you go to the temple every day? 365 days a year?

Then I am a monster next to you. Sometimes, yes I may go to a temple (not always the same one, we have lots of temples here) 3 times in a week, or even four different temples in one day, or twice to the same one between morning and twilight (twilight is my favorite), but no regulation so sort of like once a week, though I sometimes not go for two weeks.

I guess I am an embarassment, but believe me I am a "temple fanatic " and love temples.

I am thinking to ask the help of Shani Dev regarding a possible evil eye issue, but that is 1000 miles from what you would even consider. He is very helpful, but I cannot do the 23000 times mantra. But it might not be an "evil eye" issue

It's been like 20 years since I last thought such an issue, last time I asked for the help of Kali and it seems it worked.

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste EM

Oh my, you go to the temple every day? 365 days a year?
    Vannakkam: It was only a one year vow, and I'm retired. Normally, other than festivals, I go about once every 7 to 10 days. So this is just a special and temporary situation. But that's what prayaschitta is ... a special situation, over and above the normal routine. In India many people would go daily, even in places like Palani, up the steps. The west has that 'residual' effect of once a week.

But if you want a real tough one (not for me) try silence vows. Not that has got to be really tough.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    But if you want a real tough one (not for me) try silence vows. Not that has got to be really tough.
    Just to clarify,

In the old days maun vrat (vow of silence) meant no verbal communication of any kind.
    In today's world that would include no communication via writing or hearing/watching devices. That means no visits to or posting in the forum, no watching of TV or listening to radio or interaction with any other electronic device.
    The idea is to be isolated from the mundane activities and to be in a meditative mood for the duration, rather than being in a vegetative state.

Pranam.

maun vrat

Namaste Believer - maun vrat means not post on a forum?
    That may be beyond the control of some .... it would require a long term power and wireless outage due to a major disaster.

Which will happen sooner or later.

Thread Information