Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: followers of Sidhanta Shaivism?

Re: followers of Sidhanta Shaivism?

Quote Originally Posted by shays860 View Post
    Namaste,

It is advised that one visit a temple at least once a week in the Master Course. Do you think it would be bad to attend a Puja for a deity other than Shiva, Ganesha or Murugan or do you think it would be better than nothing?

Thanks
    Stevie
    Vannakkam: You do what you can do. Any temple is better than no temple. Besides, there are very few strict Saiva temples around. I think all temples will have a Ganesha. ISKCON has Sivalingams usually. I will enter any Hindu temple at all, especially when travelling. Where is the one you had in mind?

Aum Namasivaya

There's one in a place called Harvest, Alabama about 30 minutes from where I live. They have Shiva and Ganesha so I would of course try to make it on the days they are being worshiped but I was thinking it might be better than nothing to go to Puja of another deity if I can't make it on those days. It's called The Hindu Cultural Center of North Alabama (HCCNA). I went today but I didn't really know what was going on. They suggested I come back on a Sunday because there's a class. I doubt I need any extra information in addition to the course but I figured I would go once to figure out the local temple protocol

Quote Originally Posted by shays860 View Post
    There's one in a place called Harvest, Alabama about 30 minutes from where I live. They have Shiva and Ganesha so I would of course try to make it on the days they are being worshiped but I was thinking it might be better than nothing to go to Puja of another deity if I can't make it on those days. It's called The Hindu Cultural Center of North Alabama (HCCNA). I went today but I didn't really know what was going on. They suggested I come back on a Sunday because there's a class. I doubt I need any extra information in addition to the course but I figured I would go once to figure out the local temple protocol
    Vannakkam: That's a very nice looking temple, and the first time I'd heard of it. Because it's more or less South Indian style, the deities are separated, (some temples have all the deities on one central area) and you should be able to really focus on either Ganesha or Shiva with no problem. At a temple like that, anybody can worship any God on any given day, not just the day that the puja is for a particular God. Of course, if you do want to see a Shiva abhishekam etc, you have to go then. Another great thing is it's open every day, which not all temples are.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

I was reading in the master course about the Aum Namah Shivaya mantra, and it was stated that one should not do this without first being initiated by a guru. Actually that seems to be the case with many practices. I find it unlikely that I would come across a guru anytime soon, but would still like to practice on my own. Is this a bad idea to do what I can anyway, without instruction from a guru?

Aum Namah Sivaya!
    Om Namah Shivaya

I'm sure Eastern Mind will give a better answer but I'm doing the supervised study course right now and they recommend a lot of practices that don't require initiation including chanting aum and Ganesha Puja among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by fem_phoenix1109 View Post
    Namaste,

I was reading in the master course about the Aum Namah Shivaya mantra, and it was stated that one should not do this without first being initiated by a guru. Actually that seems to be the case with many practices. I find it unlikely that I would come across a guru anytime soon, but would still like to practice on my own. Is this a bad idea to do what I can anyway, without instruction from a guru?

Aum Namah Sivaya!
    Vannakkam: Yes, that is the case in this tradition, and others, but not all. As Shays said, there is a lot you can do on your own. Aum Saravanabhava is one you can do. This (Namasivaya) mantra is likened to be a car without a key without a guru's initiation, but a car with a key with the initiation.

Initiation is no quick deal in SSC, as you probably know by now. It can tke years of preparation. Who knows what a person's life may be like 6 or 7 years from now? When a disciplined practice of sadhana is maintained diligently, 'things' happen.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information