View Poll Results: Are you of the view that Doniger's Novel should have been banned?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3 42.86%
  • nei

4 57.14%
  • alveg sama

0 0%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Timeline from Wendy Doniger's "The Hindus"

Re: Timeline from Wendy Doniger's "The Hindus"

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    On a side note...

Apart from the evidently one-sided contents of this article, I came across a gem of a comment:

It seems that there is a prevalent notion held by anti-Hindus found on the Internet that Adi Shankara "hounded and massacred" Buddhist scholars and monks out of India "to seek asylum in Sri Lanka", "hence the religious, not linguistic, civil war between the Buddhist Sinhalese and Hindu Tamils of the same nation".

I never knew that defeating people in debates and verbal communication would tantamount to [physical] genocide, even though many that lost these debates reverted back to a certain sect of the Hindu conglomeration.

Last time I checked, Ms. Christie, Adi Shankara wasn't responsible for the eradication of Buddhism from Afghanistan, Pakistan, and the iconoclastic destruction of one of the most developed and liberal universities of the classical era known as Nalanda University. Nor did he "hound and massacre" Buddhist scholars and monks out of India into Sri Lanka, and nor is that the reason for why Hindu Tamils are being persecuted in Sri Lanka.

Why is such blatant ignorance so popular on the Net?
    What more can you expect when people are taught that great Hindu leaders like rAjarAja chola and kRShnadevarAya were oppressive whereas nAstika-s like ashoka (who ordered 500 women to be burnt alive for plucking leaves of a tree and making fun of the roughness of his skin) and mleccha-s like akbar (who, along with his army, murdered 30,000 innocent Hindus) are depicted as "ideal emperors?"
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jaskaran Singh View Post

What more can you expect when people are taught that great Hindu leaders like rAjarAja chola and kRShnadevarAya were oppressive whereas nAstika-s like ashoka (who ordered 500 women to be burnt alive for plucking leaves of a tree and making fun of the roughness of his skin) and mleccha-s like akbar (who, along with his army, murdered 30,000 innocent Hindus) are depicted as "ideal emperors?"
    Using psychoanalysis, I have, like, come to the conclusion that the Buddhist Emperor Ashoka (who, like, wasn't really an emperor, like, but someone who practically inherited a kingdom, like, um, from his grandfather, um) valued the strength and aggressiveness of the phallus, um, and saw the chalice, like, as a mortal enemy of manhood, um, and, like, had 500 innocent women killed, like, because of his anti-female, like, sentiments, and, like, hatred of the opposite sex, like, um.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Using psychoanalysis, I have, like, come to the conclusion that the Buddhist Emperor Ashoka (who, like, wasn't really an emperor, like, but someone who practically inherited a kingdom, like, um, from his grandfather, um) valued the strength and aggressiveness of the phallus, um, and saw the chalice, like, as a mortal enemy of manhood, um, and, like, had 500 innocent women killed, like, because of his anti-female, like, sentiments, and, like, hatred of the opposite sex, like, um.
    What if he, and the entire mauryan dynasty, are descendants of the nephillim mentioned in that video you just posted?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW7Op86ox9g
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...

Coming back on track, here's a good article, IMHO:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/murali...b_4777117.html

ps - For all those wondering, I voted nei. The book was not banned; and, I believe in written refutation of a work that one finds shoddy (e.g., Invading the Sacred is a wonderful standard of what I mean). Plus, the historical usage of Article 295 has never been consistent nor [practically] impartial.
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 February 2014 at 08:26 PM.

Vannakkam: I'd like to know more about the group that was willing to sue. Who are they and whom do they represent? I tried to search on them, but all I got was this controversy.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I'd like to know more about the group that was willing to sue. Who are they and whom do they represent? I tried to search on them, but all I got was this controversy.

Aum Namasivaya
    praNAm,
    The guy who sued was dIna nAth batrA, who is the head of vidyAbhAratI, which in turn seems to be an educational group that is part of the RSS (which I assume you know about). I got this information after searching for meh... around five minutes. You old-timers need to keep up with the "googling skills" of youths. Just kidding.
    Last edited by Jaskaran Singh; 17 February 2014 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Avyaydya View Post
    Namaste Shanti,

I think this is more of an American view on Hinduism. The Anglo-Saxon tradition, especially the US, views existence as continuous power struggle for survival. That is the base of thinking in this culture, that is why Americans arm themselves and have a culture in which conflict and violence are heralded as solutions. At the same time they have a very prudent sexual moral. The irony is that the more violent people are, the less they can trust others. They always feel they have to defend themselves. Even defending is not enough but preemptive attack and invasion are necessary to "protect the peace". Americans lament over the tens of thousands they lost in the war in Vietnam as a national tragedy and not even think about the millions of innocent Vietnamese they killed. In Israel we see nationalist create the same self-pity. They kill five Palestinians for every Jew, steal all their land, and still claim to be the victims. In this thinking conflict is the solution.
    praNAm,
    One can be peaceful and speak out against false claims, you realize that, right? I believe that Hindu-s should not keep quiet when propaganda is spewed; it happens very often on the internet, probably moreso than you think. Look at the comments regarding Hinduism on the following website by a Christian by the name of Robert Lindsay: https://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jaskaran Singh View Post

praNAm,
    One can be peaceful and speak out against false claims, you realize that, right? I believe that Hindu-s should not keep quiet when propaganda is spewed; it happens very often on the internet, probably moreso than you think. Look at the comments regarding Hinduism on the following website by a Christian by the name of Robert Lindsay: https://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/

Namaste,

RL is a nutjob and a troll.Nuff said.

Regarding Ashoka,Buddhist sources themselves suggests that he massacred over 18000 Ajivikas or Jainas even after converting into Buddhism.
    "Only one is the fire,which is inflamed in numerous ways.Only one is the sun, which pervades the whole universe.Only one is the dawn,which illuminates all things. Similarly,all that exists is The One and it has manifested into everything here.”

~ Rg Veda 8.58.2

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

What book, chapter, verse spell out or suggest that?

Pranam.

Namaste Believer,

I think it is mentioned in Ashokavadana.Although,i don't know which chapter or verse talks about it.
    "Only one is the fire,which is inflamed in numerous ways.Only one is the sun, which pervades the whole universe.Only one is the dawn,which illuminates all things. Similarly,all that exists is The One and it has manifested into everything here.”

~ Rg Veda 8.58.2

Quote Originally Posted by Aryavartian View Post
    Namaste Believer,

I think it is mentioned in Ashokavadana.Although,i don't know which chapter or verse talks about it.
    You think ?.So, you are asking hindus (Who are under attack) to follow some narrative written on ashoka. I think you are trolling this forum.

Thread Information