Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MahaShivratri!

Re: MahaShivratri!

Can't wait til morning to get going, I should really try and get some sleep already! Last year I did a no food or water fast for the whole 24hrs but I'm going to take water and some fruits during the day time.

What are some of your plans for the day/night?

Om Namah Shivaya!
    Shivasya hridayam vishnur: Vishnoscha hridayam shivah

Happy MahaShivratri to everyone. May the blessings of Shiva be on all of us.

Jai Shiv Parvati!
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Hara Hara Mahadeva! Happy MahaShivaratri! May Lord Shiva's blessings of love, light, and joy wrap everyone in bliss.

I have to work a half day tomorrow, and find a way to manage it on Friday too. Haha, let's see how that turns out. I can but try. I should probably be going to bed soon as well, as I need to be up at 4.

I will have fruit and curd at sunrise, as I have been on a tight fast all week, but then I will be attempting the 24 hour fast tomorrow with just water. I am looking forward to when I can head off to the Center tomorrow.

By the by, thinking back to a recent thread, I finally found Bel Leaves! And fruit! And Datura! I am SO happy and grateful!

I hope everyone has a wonderful MahaShivaratri!

Aum
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Koti-Koti Pranam-s

Wait just one minute! No bhāng?! Boringgg!!
    I kid. I kid.

To my brothers and sisters of HDF. May Mahadeva shower his blessings on us all. May he guide us all to greater truth, light, love, and peace!

Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post

Now, why does it occur on the 13th/14th tithi¹ of the moon (kṛṣṇa pakṣa¹) ? Is there a clue ?
    It's interesting to note that śivarātri ( śiva + rātri or the night of śiva) falls on the 14th lunar day ( tithi).

When we look at the saṃskṛt assembly of akṣara or letters ( akṣara is imperishable and another name form Brahman), it is made up of vowels (svara) and consonants (vyañjāna). Śiva is the owner of svara and śakti is the owner of vyañjāna. ( Yet we know there is only One, this is the traditional way of discussing this matter). The vowels (svara) extend from a (अ) to ḥ (अः).

If we count down the vowels in order we come to 'au' which is the 14th vowel. This au vowel of the alphabet sounds like 'ou' in 'our' , in English. The 14th tithi is owned by śiva. Hence the tithi and vowel au are related.

This 'a' is represents anuttara , the Supreme unpassable, is considered cit śakti- the energy of consciousness. This is combined with 'u' - considered jñāna śakti, the energy of knowledge. Some call this 'u' unmeṣa उन्मेष- the act of opening the eyes. Since it is śiva's eyes this is a symbol of creation just about to begin.

Now this can only occur via śiva's icchā or will. Thus with will (icchā) + knowledge (jñāna), this results or brings about kriyā or kriyā śakti, the energy of action. Hence this 'au' is considered the full expression of kriyā śakti and has been given the name of triśūla¹ the trident due to its holding icchā + jñāna + kriyā. And who holds the triśūla¹ stick, daṃḍa ( some write daṇda) stick ? Śiva.

Hence we have the Supreme (a) holding the triśūla (icchā + jñāna + kriyā) which is represented by kriyā śakti (au) that occurs
    on the 14th tithi of the lunar day, that is owned by śiva. Hence all the previous vowels from a () to o () come to find action in the 14th vowel (au) .

We find this (au) as key in some very profound mantra-s:
    au+ ṁ
    s+au +ḥ
    hūṁ=h+aū+ṁ
    this hūṁ is śiva-praṇava. Praṇava is to praise, and that which renovates thoroughly.

oṁ maheśvarāya namaḥ

words
    • triśūla - a trident
      • We know śiva's triśula is 3 pronged. and a view of śrī devī is the triangle. Both measure and complement the same.
        We also know from Jyotish that śrī devī as lakśmī owns the trikona-s that is the 1st, 5th and 9th houses, forming the triangle within ones chart and hence within us.

• tithi - a lunar day ~time period~ based upon the moon. 15 tithi-s , during the moon's increase , constitute the light half of the month and the other 15 the dark half.
      • kṛṣṇa pakṣa - the dark half of a lunar month;
        • the first half from new moon to full moon was called pūrva or apūryamāṇa , later śukla or śuddha ;
        • the dark half or apa-kṣīyamāṇa , later kṛṣṇa or tāmisra , each fortnight consists of 15 tithi-s
    Last edited by yajvan; 09 March 2014 at 06:19 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information