Thread: Good Hindu Fiction?

Good Hindu Fiction?

Couldn't find a place to fit this but I'm looking for good Hindu Spiritual fiction. I don't know of any examples yet but I'm hoping there's some out there. I don't know if anyone is familiar with her but I've been reading Dion Fortune. She writes occult fiction that I enjoy very much and I am looking for something that is as permeated with Hindu Spirituality and mysticism as her works are with the occult. Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Re: Good Hindu Fiction?

Pranam,

Are you interested in comics?If then,visit http://www.vimanikacomics.com/
    "Only one is the fire,which is inflamed in numerous ways.Only one is the sun, which pervades the whole universe.Only one is the dawn,which illuminates all things. Similarly,all that exists is The One and it has manifested into everything here.”

~ Rg Veda 8.58.2

Namaste,

I recently downloaded an ebook onto my Nook that I read about in a newsletter on Hinduism I subscribe to. It is called 'The Immortals of Meluha.' It is the first book in a trilogy called the Shiva trilogy by Amish Tripathi. Here is a link for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Immortals_of_Meluha.

I have not started reading it yet, but I think that it looks pretty interesting.

A really good book that I am currently reading is the Shiva Purana Retold, by Ramesh Menon. Even though it is not fiction, it contains many amazing tales of Lord Shiva, and reads almost like a novel.

Let me know what else you come across!

Pranam.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Thanks for the suggestions! I will give them a try.

Vannakkam: Depends what you mean by 'good' as the term is subjective. Unfortunately these days, dharma is often perceived as boring whilst adharma is more interesting. So modern fiction that used dharmic action to overcome adharma is hard to come by, and there is a huge gap, in my opinion. Other faiths do have faith based stuff, even entire bookstores.

Finding books with characters who are Hindu is probably easier, as with books set in India. That doesn't indicate quality or much else. I think a better way might be via the personal recommendation. I can't help there much, as I'm not much of a reader.

What genres did you have in mind?

Aum Namasivaya

"kathA sarit sAgaraH" by somadeva bhaTTa is perhaps the largest collection of stories in the world. Translation of this book in ten volumes can be downloaded here:

https://archive.org/search.php?query...29%2C+1892-%22
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Namaste,

Unfortunately, I've not yet encountered any Hindu fiction that is similar to Dion Fortune's work, but there was an earlier thread about this topic that may have some good suggestions for you: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=94455

I hope you find some good reading material soon.
    "What was, what is, what will be: I am That." -from Bāṣkalamantra Upaniṣad

I just finished The Third Eye by T. Lobsang Rampa. It is not technically Hindu or fiction but it is Buddhist, which of course has a lot of overlap, and it reads like fiction. Unfortunately I can't particularly recommend it. Except maybe as a very early introductory work for someone just setting off to explore spirituality. It's something I may have loved ten years ago but now is mostly boring for me... Just thought I'd share my impression in case it could do anyone any good.

And though it is technically poetry Aurobindo's Savitri looks promising. Just ordered a copy.

http://www.amazon.com/Savitri-Legend...ywords=savitri

Thread Information