Thread: Fear of death

Fear of death

Okay so it's not so much that I'm afraid of death because I know I'm not my body. I know that death doesn't mean the end, but in a sense it does mean the end of our state of mind. we are individuals when we are in our bodies, we have our own thoughts, our own bodies- etc. but when we die and are reborn again we completely forget that, so it is technically an end. but then we are born again and re learn all our past spiritual knowledge, but eventually, when we do merge back with God we are no longer individuals. I guess I just wonder , do we still think on our own? is it like we are dreaming? or do we lose all sense of individuality and have no thought? I guess I'm more curious than afraid.
    Hope this wasn't too confusing.

Re: Fear of death

Quote Originally Posted by shauchadamasatya View Post
    ... but eventually, when we do merge back with God we are no longer individuals. I guess I just wonder , do we still think on our own? is it like we are dreaming? or do we lose all sense of individuality and have no thought?
    Namaste and welcome to HDF forums.

When we jiva souls achieve liberation (mukti also called moksha) then we as you say "do merge back with God", but this "merging" with God does not imply loss of our individual existence. Even after achieving liberation we continue to exist as an individual souls usually called jivas or jiva souls. Liberated jivas are promoted to the eternal world of God called Vaikuntha where they remain to live forever along with many other liberated souls. There they all together are engaged in eternal service of the Lord and participate in eternal pastimes of the Lord called lilas. So there is no loss of consciousness (cognition, thoughts) or individuality by attaining liberation.

If you're interested you can read a description of the Vaikuntha world and liberated souls who live there in the Srimad Bhagavatam (Bhagavata Purana) which is one of the most important scriptures belonging to the literature of the Puranas:
    - verses 2.9.9 and forward at http://vedabase.net/sb/2/9/en
    - see also Bhagavatam canto 3, chapter 15 at http://vedabase.net/sb/3/15/en

regards

Quote Originally Posted by shauchadamasatya View Post
    Okay so it's not so much that I'm afraid of death because I know I'm not my body. I know that death doesn't mean the end, but in a sense it does mean the end of our state of mind.
    Technically, our state of mind is a part of the "sukshma sarira" that persists through various incarnations.

we are individuals when we are in our bodies, we have our own thoughts, our own bodies- etc. but when we die and are reborn again we completely forget that, so it is technically an end.
    If "completely forgetting" our past is what you would "technically" call an end, then have not parts of us technically died multiple times already even within a single lifetime? Also, consciously recollecting our pasts/conscious dreaming, etc. are believed to be achieveable in higher states of Yoga. Additionally, there are so many thoughts that do flit through our minds all the time. How could we convincingly prove that none of these thoughts are due to a prior experience in a previous life? Our thoughts and actions are correlated with our samskaras/impressions and the seeds of these exist latent in the sukshma sarira stated above.

but then we are born again and re learn all our past spiritual knowledge, but eventually, when we do merge back with God we are no longer individuals. I guess I just wonder , do we still think on our own? is it like we are dreaming? or do we lose all sense of individuality and have no thought? I guess I'm more curious than afraid.
    Hope this wasn't too confusing.
    Any dualistic school would hold that in ultimate moksha state, there is individuality and hence plurality.

Any monist school would hold that in ultimate moksha state, there is no individuality and only oneness. "Your" will in that state is God's will.

Vannakkam: Perhaps this thread or others like it may be of some use. http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...ighlight=death

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information