Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Namaste

Namaste

Namaste,

My name is Kathryn and I am a 20 year old college student hoping to get into nursing school.

I grew up (and currently still live) in a Christian household. There were always things that didn't sit right with me in Christianity, but for I long time I kept quite and ignored my feelings. But finally 3 years ago I had to admit to myself that I could no longer pretend/call myself a Christian. From there I looked into many different paths never finding the right one. I recently started studying Hinduism and I have many questions that I hope the people on this forum can help me out with.

Thank you all

Re: Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by midnitekat94 View Post
    Namaste,

My name is Kathryn and I am a 20 year old college student hoping to get into nursing school.

I grew up (and currently still live) in a Christian household. There were always things that didn't sit right with me in Christianity, but for I long time I kept quite and ignored my feelings. But finally 3 years ago I had to admit to myself that I could no longer pretend/call myself a Christian. From there I looked into many different paths never finding the right one. I recently started studying Hinduism and I have many questions that I hope the people on this forum can help me out with.

Thank you all
    Vannakkam and welcome to HDF. I hope we can answer some of your questions. One thing you might consider is going to a Hindu temple. I hear there is a nice one in Jackson. Sometimes that helps people cut to the chase, so to speak. If you don't feel some sort of affinity in a Hindu temple, or if you fall in love with the place, either way it can be an aid in determining if this is for you.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Kathryn,

Welcome to the forum.

I second the EM's motion to visit a temple to expose you to a lot of things. Some pointers,

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpos...5&postcount=15

Pranam.

Originally posted by Eastern Mind
    Vannakkam and welcome to HDF. I hope we can answer some of your questions. One thing you might consider is going to a Hindu temple. I hear there is a nice one in Jackson. Sometimes that helps people cut to the chase, so to speak. If you don't feel some sort of affinity in a Hindu temple, or if you fall in love with the place, either way it can be an aid in determining if this is for you.

Aum Namasivaya
    Thank you for the welcome and advice. I have been thinking about going to temple but I wasn't sure if I should go ahead and go or wait until I knew more about Hinduism and the gods in general because right now I know very very very little about the gods and I didn't want to be disrespectful and go there without understanding exactly how everything worked.....but then again I think that maybe I over think things too much

Quick question, from what I understand it would be fine for me to go and just walk around and look at the deities or sit somewhere and....well I was gonna say meditate but to be honest I don't know how to meditate so I guess I could just close my eyes and think about god? Also in front of each deity your supposed to bring your hands together and bow right?

Originally posted by Believer
    Namaste Kathryn,

Welcome to the forum.

I second the EM's motion to visit a temple to expose you to a lot of things. Some pointers,

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpos...5&postcount=15

Pranam.
    Thank you for the welcome and for posting that link, it has made me just a tiny bit less nervous about visiting a temple

Welcome!

"Be the change you wish to see in other people." ~Gandhi

Welcome Spiritual Soul!

Namaste Kathryn

Welcome to the forums. I hope you will find this place beneficial and welcoming. You can go to a temple and either contemplate on God or on your own self or on anything like mother nature etc etc. With time you will grasp the concepts of Vedic religion or Hinduism. It's a simple way of life.

When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Namaste. Welcome to HDF. This forum will definetely be a great tool to aid your learning.

Quote Originally Posted by midnitekat94 View Post
    Thank you for the welcome and advice. I have been thinking about going to temple but I wasn't sure if I should go ahead and go or wait until I knew more about Hinduism and the gods in general because right now I know very very very little about the gods and I didn't want to be disrespectful and go there without understanding exactly how everything worked.....but then again I think that maybe I over think things too much

Quick question, from what I understand it would be fine for me to go and just walk around and look at the deities or sit somewhere and....well I was gonna say meditate but to be honest I don't know how to meditate so I guess I could just close my eyes and think about god? Also in front of each deity your supposed to bring your hands together and bow right?

Thank you for the welcome and for posting that link, it has made me just a tiny bit less nervous about visiting a temple
    Vannakkam: The ideal situation is probably if the temple has a volunteer guide, but most temples don't have that. One call ahead will answer that.

There is more info on here too. Here's another link http://western-hindu.org/2007/07/02/...-hindu-temple/ to ponder. If you search on first time at a Hindu temple' you get lots of hit.

Hindu temples do vary a lot, but there is one constant: None of us bite.
    Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Hari Om

Namaste

Midnitekat, will offer nothing new but confirmation. Three years, new here myself. BelieverJi and Eastern MindJi, offered similar advice. Tested this for me at least, and advice was sound and have forever been grateful.

Best of luck to you.

Om Namah ShivaYa

FFTW

Thread Information