Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mantra Yoga/Japa

Mantra Yoga/Japa

Namaste.
    I'm really starting to enjoy Mantra Yoga/Japa and was wondering if someone could direct me to some detailed sources about this art and also specific sections of scriptures explaining potent details about it if possible.
    I did google searches but what I found was mostly surface level generic material. Thanks.

Re: Mantra Yoga/Japa

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    Namaste.
    I'm really starting to enjoy Mantra Yoga/Japa and was wondering if someone could direct me to some detailed sources about this art and also specific sections of scriptures explaining potent details about it if possible.
    I did google searches but what I found was mostly surface level generic material. Thanks.
    Vannakkam Icy: Push the beads with the thumb to roll them over the middle finger of right hand. You probably know this already, but I see people using beads in many different ways.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM,
    I am indeed already using the technique you have described.
    I'm trying to find material like you could for any other fleshed out school of thought in Hinduism; like Advaita/Dvaita, or any of the popular forms of Yoga, Hatha, Kundalini, or Patanjali. Whatever it may be.

All the information I'm unearthing about Mantra Yoga/Japa is very generic and often contradictory. (With the exception of something I found about Ramani Maharshis technique).

Perhaps one of the Upanishads such as Madukya has more information?

All the information I'm unearthing about Mantra Yoga/Japa is very generic and often contradictory. (With the exception of something I found about Ramani Maharshis technique).
    Vannakkam Icy: Most likely one of the problems you are experiencing in finding information is that Japa is often related to an initiation into doing it, and the instructions would be passed on orally from teacher to shishya. Of course this may vary right down to the individual student, not just the sampradaya.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Icy: Most likely one of the problems you are experiencing in finding information is that Japa is often related to an initiation into doing it, and the instructions would be passed on orally from teacher to shishya. Of course this may vary right down to the individual student, not just the sampradaya.

Aum Namasivaya
    I assumed so.
    Wish there was more widely available..

Namaste

All the Astika schools of Hinduism accept Mantra as a legitimate means to get closer to deities?
    I assume so because, its potency is in the Upanshads & therefore will be in the Vedas.

I've also been contemplating Yajvan's well example in the other thread. I miss various gods all the time. I always feel gravity towards deities in my day to day life. It is very odd. It doesn't come with a stimulus like reading about a certain deity. It's random. Sometimes I feel drawn to worship Ganesha, and other times Hanuman, then very randomly other times Katyayani & so on...Even though in my lonesome or when I personally ''speak'' to god; it is always Lord Shiva. So it doesn't cause any disconnect between me and istadevta.

EM-ji does Saivism for example permit the freedom to speak to and worship other gods while having Lord Shiva seated as the ''supreme'' manifestation.

This is all so interesting. I know that one mantra may be the most benefical, but I always pray to various gods, so doing mala jaapa of more than one when I feel like it can't be to bad....

If we ascertain the view that all deities are a manifestation of the supreme, then surely it is the same thing...

EM-ji does Saivism for example permit the freedom to speak to and worship other gods while having Lord Shiva seated as the ''supreme'' manifestation.
    Vannakkam Icy: I can't speak for anyone else. In my sampradaya, Ganesh and Murugan are seen as separate, not as aspects of Siva, so I worship them as well. My shrine just has those 3. I would also worship Bhairava as an aspect of Siva. As to Gods from other sects, I will worship them of course, but not in the same intensity as a person from that sect would, more just in general Hinduism, and to be respectful of my brothers and sisters within Sanatana, more just as aspects of Siva. I admit to having a bit of an affinity to Hanuman.

Now, every one is different. Different Saiva schools may well view it differently, as will Smartas or course.

I like things simple.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

All the Astika schools of Hinduism accept Mantra as a legitimate means to get closer to deities?
    I assume so because, its potency is in the Upanshads & therefore will be in the Vedas.
    Namaste,

Perhaps, you meant to order it in the opposite sense. The "potency" isn't in the Upanishads. The potency of mantra-s are in the Veda-s. But, I would be careful of conflating the Upanishads with the Veda-s. The two are separate for a reason. The Veda-s are yajna-centric whereas the Upanishads are speculations.

In regards to you feeling closer to a variety of Deities, I would suggest honoring as many as you can. They are, after all, the Holy Gods. And, injunctions from the Veda-s support their Divine Existence, that is if you take the Veda-s as being of divine origin and/or non-authored.

I know that one mantra may be the most benefical, but I always pray to various gods, so doing mala jaapa of more than one when I feel like it can't be to bad....

If we ascertain the view that all deities are a manifestation of the supreme, then surely it is the same thing...
    Namaste,

I never understood the conduct of indirect discrimination - in other words, seeing one mantra as being more beneficial than another, or one mantra being superior to another. If the contents of the Vedas are held as authorities of the highest calibre, then all the mantra-s found within are equally important. Their variations in terms of relevance differs when it comes to materialistic activity: i.e., mantra-s for healthy lifestyles, mantra-s for bettering one's education, mantra-s for the calmness of one's mind, etc..

In regards to the second sentence of your quoted post, see my above response in regards to not conflating the Veda-s with the Upanishads, i.e., seeing the Holy Gods as "manifestations of the 'Supreme'", since not all Hindus assert this view, even though it is highly popular amongst Hindus found on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Namaste,

I never understood the conduct of indirect discrimination - in other words, seeing one mantra as being more beneficial than another, or one mantra being superior to another. If the contents of the Vedas are held as authorities of the highest calibre, then all the mantra-s found within are equally important. Their variations in terms of relevance differs when it comes to materialistic activity: i.e., mantra-s for healthy lifestyles, mantra-s for bettering one's education, mantra-s for the calmness of one's mind, etc..

In regards to the second sentence of your quoted post, see my above response in regards to not conflating the Veda-s with the Upanishads, i.e., seeing the Holy Gods as "manifestations of the 'Supreme'", since not all Hindus assert this view, even though it is highly popular amongst Hindus found on the Internet.
    Namaste.

By choosing/chanting one mantra I wasn't specifying its authority over another. Just that focusing on one mantra be more beneficial as to sharpen focus. That was what I was getting at with that statement.

I know it isn't a concrete view, you may have seen my ''manifestations'' thread recently. I'm just speaking generally.

When you say speculations, are they accurate speculative commentaries, or completely speculative in nature?

Thread Information