Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it ok to fall in love with lord Vishnu

Is it ok to fall in love with lord Vishnu

Namaste Everyone,

Is it ok to fall in love with Lord Vishnu??

Please advise

Re: Is it ok to fall in love with lord Vishnu

Namaste Ashwin!

I'm still a beginner on the Path, but I know that there are several attitudes a person can have towards God, including the attitude of a spouse. I've read of women who considered themselves married to Vishnu, too.

I'm pretty sure the love is supposed to be of a spiritual kind, but otherwise I don't see why it wouldn't be okay to fall in love like that.

People with more knowledge will surely correct me if I'm wrong.

Senebty, may you be healthy.
    All these things shine.
    May you shine, too!

Namaste Ashwin,

I myself fell in love in with Saraswati and Shakti. It is a rather one sided relationship at first. But if you're love is pure in nature, it will transmute from romantic (if I'm guessing correctly) to that of a universal base line love for all things. If you allow your feelings to evolve that is one step on the right path. I have never considered myself Vaishnava but I do believe love can never be a bad thing in spirituality. Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    Namaste Everyone,

Please advise
    Namaste Ashwin ji,

why do you think it is not correct to fall in love with Vishnu.

Love means attraction. Love is not a lust in spirituality. It is the intensity of attraction of jiva towards paramatman, like a small weak magnet attracted towards big powerful magnet.

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste
    Namaste Everyone,

Please advise
    Surely that it is ok to fall in love with Lord Vishnu. Have you heard about bhakti? Do you know what is the meaning of the word bhakti?
    Word bhakti means "love", but it also means "faith, worship, attachment, fondness for, devotion to God".
    Now, someone who is at the initial stage of his spiritual life is not expected to immediately develop, you know, "love" for God. At first, the person is advised to learn about God, to learn that Lord Vishnu is Supreme Person or Supreme God (Supreme Lord). After that, one should listen and read descriptions of the Lord and his activities as described in the literature such as Bhagavad-gita and Puranas and Itihasas such as Srimad Bhagavatam, Mahabharata and Ramayana etc. By listening about the Lord one can gradually develop affection for Him. One can learn how to serve the Lord in various ways. Actually the word bhakti is usually translated as "devotional service to the Lord". All of this is bhakti, but the most important thing is to develop affection, commitment, attachment and devotion to the Lord. That will come gradually.
    That means to know ourselves in relationship with the Lord through bhakti. Eventually this devotion to the Lord will culminate in what is called the love of God. To get to that level means to achieve perfection. When one comes to that level he is a liberated soul (mukta).
    Now, when we say The Supreme Person or Supreme God, we mean Lord Vishnu or some of his personal forms known as Krishna, Narayana, Rama, Balarama, Narasimha etc.
    To develop pure bhakti to the Lord represents the highest level of perfection about which the Vedas teach. There is no other achievement about which the Vedas teach that can be compared with this. This is the ultimate end and the goal of all spiritual efforts for every yogi. This is the highest perfection literally.

The description that I gave you is in line with the Vaishnava traditions and especially Gaudiya vaishnava tradition.
    More about this you can read here: http://vedabase.net/bg/introduction/en

regards

Smile Re: Is it ok to fall in love with lord Vishnu

Is it ok to fall in love with Lord
    Vishnu??
    Namaste Ashwin

I assume you mean romantic love here as you seemed to be embarrassed with your feelings.

I am a Sri Vaishnava (one of the popular Vaishnava school). As per the Achaaryas of that tradition it is believed we irrespective of our gender are all women in nature and wedded to Sreeman Naaraayan. Devotees who have chosen the path of Sri Vaishnava do not visit or pray other deities.
    So even if your present feelings are romantic in nature, like Eric has mentioned its OK. As your devotion matures in due course of time, your love too will mature.

Devotee Meera chose celibacy as she couldn't love anyone other than Shree Krishna. Her feelings were initially mocked and was shunned but in due course of time people who abused her became her disciples.

I feel happy for you because you are attracted to Vishnu. This is just a beginning, you ll be safer if you listen to your heart.
    Anirudh...

Namaste Everyone,

I've read the shortened version of the bhagavad Purana and the Gita and there is one thing that keeps sticking in the back of my head and it goes like this:there are four types of men that will worship lord vishnu but of all the four the one that is dearest to him is the one that is in full knowledge of him.
    I do bhakti worship but lately these days im like a sixteen year old and in love for the first time and for valentines day I placed a rose at his feet because
    I felt it made sense to me and I have visions of him and I together its not a lustful thing though but it is very comforting and re assuring and amazing at the same time.I think about him all the time im like a gopee!My daily life seems like "The matrix" illusionary and the only thing that seems real to me is his love and doing devotion to him...Im a little scared of where this will take me though..

Namaste Ashwin,

What sort of love ? As a woman to a man or vice-versa ? Is it with lust or without that ?

See, if you are enamoured by Vishnu's form ... it is a way to bondage and not liberation more so if it is with lust or with feeling like that. Vishnu's form is liberating if it evokes spiritual, selfless love or bhakti. Meera considered Lord Krishna as her beloved but the love was spiritual in nature and not tinged with lust.

It is your feeling which is important and not the form and name. If feeling arising is of pure self-less bhakti and feeling to be one with that form ... it is auspicious and liberating.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Post Re: Is it ok to fall in love with lord Vishnu

Namaste,

It is a wonderful thing to like Sri Vishnu.I do not know if you have heard of the famous story of Tulsi Das.His favorite deity was Sri Ram,a form Sri Vishnu.Do google about Tulsi Das's wife story.He crossed the flooding river for his wife,who then rebukes him................................................. and he ultimately become a devotee of the Lord.

Sri Vishnu is indeed captivating to his devotees.I like this image a lot

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...08-d5vmy02.gif

If you are attracted to the form of Sri Vishnu there is nothing to feel bad about it,after all is he not the damsel goddess Sri Mohini.Only thing to be kept in mind is that your relationship is that of a father and a son or a mother and a son.Certain people have a different relationship(husband-wife/lover) with him and I am not interested to talk about that.

It is said Sri Vishnu is Alankarapriya,i.e. he is fond of being dressed and decorated in an opulent manner.I am sure that his opulence is to draw devotees towards him rather than for his own pleasure.In South India people call him as if he is their elder brother.Some people worship him as their beloved baby.The glory of Sri Vishnu is difficult to put in words.

http://www.educationalservice.net/im...perumal/23.jpg

Thread Information