Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it ok to fall in love with lord Vishnu

Smile Re: Is it ok to fall in love with lord Vishnu

Pranams Ashwin,

You didn't mention what kind of love you are saying about. OK, I consider it like between men and women.

First know what is love ! In this material world, it is generally accepted as lust or attraction with other person. Now see that there could be two loves involved in worshiping Vishnu. One is called as pure love, which is bhakti itself, like that of these great vaishnawas Meera, Tulsidas. And the other is impure love which is identified with materialistic level. Though this is not a proper way to love vishnu, it is capable to liberate someone from the cycle of birth and death. Because that is Parabramhan. It's NirguNa. For Paramatma, both love and hate are same. So if both these are same for vishnu, then why not that impure love filled with lust?

As stated in Bhagavata purana, some gopis too were attracted to krishna as a lover. But they finally attained unification with krishna. Krishna says in Uddhava Gita " Though gopis were seeing me as their lover, they attained me. Krishna says there that no matter how one is attached to me, whether it is by love or hate, he surely attains my nature"

So my answer to your question is no, considering the Vedik ways. Loving krishna with lust is surely not an authentic vedic way. But you decide what you should choose.

For me, hating krishna or loving krishna is not different. Do you know what bhagavata purana says about this " For how much time an ordinary person can remember krishna with hatred feelings, that much time he can't remember him with loving feelings"
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 26 March 2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: I am
    Hari On!

Re: Is it ok to fall in love with lord Vishnu

Namaste Everyone,
    A heartfull of thanks for your responses.

While reading the bhagavad purana (abriged version)and the Gita I felt compelled to him.I would go to yajnas and listen about him although I practice devotion to lord Shiva I have had experiences with lord vishnu and its not lustfull but amazing,full of comforting,unconditional love.Preasently everything seems to either be too temporary ar just not real to me any more
    except for my devotion to god and the experiences that I have with him.
    For valentines day I gave him a rose becuase I truly love him and now I will have to make time to do devotion to him as well.I cannot see my self with any other person since I think about god all the time.Could this be another
    phase of persuing a relationship with god I guess so but now more than ever i understand why the hari krishna guys jump for joy when calling his name..

Salutations to thine who is the upholder of righteousness and the beloved of mankind..

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin
    I've read the shortened version of the bhagavad Purana and the Gita and there is one thing that keeps sticking in the back of my head and it goes like this:there are four types of men that will worship lord vishnu but of all the four the one that is dearest to him is the one that is in full knowledge of him.
    Bhagavad gita 7.16-19 (http://vedabase.net/bg/7/en) :

BG 7.16: O best among the Bhāratas, four kinds of pious men begin to render devotional service unto Me — the distressed, the desirer of wealth, the inquisitive, and he who is searching for knowledge of the Absolute.

BG 7.17: Of these, the one who is in full knowledge and who is always engaged in pure devotional service is the best. For I am very dear to him, and he is dear to Me.

BG 7.18: All these devotees are undoubtedly magnanimous souls, but he who is situated in knowledge of Me I consider to be just like My own self. Being engaged in My transcendental service, he is sure to attain Me, the highest and most perfect goal.

BG 7.19: After many births and deaths, he who is actually in knowledge surrenders unto Me, knowing Me to be the cause of all causes and all that is. Such a great soul is very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin
    For valentines day I gave him a rose becuase I truly love him and now I will have to make time to do devotion to him as well.
    Bhagavad gita 9.26 (http://vedabase.net/bg/9/26/en) :

"If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it."

regards

Namaste brahma Ji,

Much love and tearfull thanks for your resposne..

5. Re: Is it ok to fall in love with lord Vishnu

Yes it is good love in GOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    Namaste Everyone,
    A heartfull of thanks for your responses.

While reading the bhagavad purana (abriged version)and the Gita I felt compelled to him.I would go to yajnas and listen about him although I practice devotion to lord Shiva I have had experiences with lord vishnu and its not lustfull but amazing,full of comforting,unconditional love.Preasently everything seems to either be too temporary ar just not real to me any more
    except for my devotion to god and the experiences that I have with him.
    For valentines day I gave him a rose becuase I truly love him and now I will have to make time to do devotion to him as well.I cannot see my self with any other person since I think about god all the time.Could this be another
    phase of persuing a relationship with god I guess so but now more than ever i understand why the hari krishna guys jump for joy when calling his name..

Salutations to thine who is the upholder of righteousness and the beloved of mankind..
    Namaste Ashwin,

If you are naturally attracted towards Krishna or Vishnu, then go for it. By worshiping Vishnu, you will not insult Shiva.

Flower symbolize our emotions (bhAva). Offer your heart to the Lord.

OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Dear friend ,
    When Arjuna had the Viswarupa darshan of SREE Krishna , Arjuna fell at the feet of Krishna and said --' just as a father forgives the son , a friend forgives a friend , a husband forgives the wife exactly the same way forgive me.' This shows Arjuna wanted to show his nearness to sreeKrishnsa by giving the examples of the love between father and son , between two real friends and between the wife and husband . He had taken the example of closest and most loving relationship of husband and wife , to show his devotion and love to Krishna . This clearly tells us that we can love lord Vishnu .

Hi Vishnu

Check this : http://www.adolphus.nl/sadhus/rama.html

It is depth of devotion that matters. As you go on, Maya will disappear and you will be sitting near Holy Feet of Lord Vishnu

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    Namaste Everyone,

I've read the shortened version of the bhagavad Purana and the Gita and there is one thing that keeps sticking in the back of my head and it goes like this:there are four types of men that will worship lord vishnu but of all the four the one that is dearest to him is the one that is in full knowledge of him.
    I do bhakti worship but lately these days im like a sixteen year old and in love for the first time and for valentines day I placed a rose at his feet because

Dear Ashwin
    It so happens that beginners get swamped by emotion, which they think is love. Loving Lord Vishnu is definitely not offering a rose to His feet even though it is a first step to the million rung ladder of enlightenment. Because the term Vishnu means the all pervading supreme ishwara. So you need to offer roses to the millions of existing universes as there is not even an atom without Lord Vishnu in it.
    You can love or hate or befriend or have any rasa with Lord Vishnu but then bhakti without proper understanding of His position is just a cosmetic pretense. His position is outlined in Sri Vishnu Sahasranama wherein the Lord is called the inconceivable. So are you capable of conceiving this inconceivable one? If not..how can you love Him? Scriptures say Sri Vishnu is the most difficult one to please and why do you think so?I mean if offering a flower is what it takes to understand Him then do you think Krishna would have said "Bahunam janmanamante jnanavan maam prapadyate"???And see to it here that the same Lord specifically uses the word "jnanavan" and not "bhaktavan".. Thats because bhakti is an integral part of jnana. The real jnani is also a real bhakta (ofcourse he many not conform to the limiting facade of worshipping a particular form) but a traditional devotee might not be a jnani because he might be more attracted to the 4 armed form per se instead of getting attracted to the real essence of what constitutes that four armed form or what the four arms represent.

Anyway"real love for Lord Vishnu" is a spiritual paradigm altogether and loving Him has certain definitions. If you love Lord Vishnu you will see Him in all the creatures of the universe. Second if you love Him you will offer all your actions including your breath as pranayama and perform ashtanga yoga.Love for Him will automatically be directed to His children(all living beings) If you love Lord Vishnu you will become free of fear confusion and greed.And thousands more
    So only on the day you satisfy the above definitions can you tell us that you "love" Lord Vishnu Until then your love might just a clouded emotion for an emotionally needy individual.
    My suggestion is to first follow pranayama/yoga japa of om namo narayanaya/vsn offering food etc.
    All these will open the doors to the actual path of Vishnu bhakti which is far far more than just manual worship of idols

Is it ok to fall in love with God means?If love for God is attained by anyone wht else remains unattained for him?

Thread Information