Thread: Need a small help from all Shiva bhakts here

Need a small help from all Shiva bhakts here

Namaste

I am going to be a father soon!!! And needless to say, I want to name the child(daughter or son) on Mahadev himself.
    That said, my wife wont let me keep an old school name like Shiva or Sarvesh or Savitri, or names like Shakti, Sat, Soma etc.

Can you guys please help me out?

Re: Need a small help from all Shiva bhakts here

Quote Originally Posted by sapansaxena View Post
    Namaste

I am going to be a father soon!!! And needless to say, I want to name the child(daughter or son) on Mahadev himself.
    That said, my wife wont let me keep an old school name like Shiva or Sarvesh or Savitri, or names like Shakti, Sat, Soma etc.

Vannakkam: There are sites like this: http://www.indianhindunames.com/ Some people also use the nakshatra to help pick names. Certain beginning sounds apparently correspond to nakshatras.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste sapansaxena,

Congratulations on this wonderful news!

Om Namah Shivaya

Congratulations.

My parents were in the same predicament as you. My name is Shiven, the exact reason I was named that was because, Shivam/Shiv & other names were more common. It was my Dads sisters proposal. I remember me & a female friend sifting through scriptures & sanskrit lexicon's looking for cool words that could be used for names. You may want to try that.

Another thing you could try is look at your sons astrological data and see what would be ''auspicious'' for him.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sapansaxena View Post
    Namaste

Vannakkam: Sorry I forgot to congratulate you. I will be a grandfather again soon as well. Here's another idea for you since you said you wanted a Siva name.

http://www.harekrsna.de/shiva/108_na...lord_shiva.htm

Maybe one of those is suitable.

My daughter and son-in-law are working on names too. They like some Hindu names. The little cousin-to-be, who is just 3 has selected 'Mushroom' as the name. So for now it's always 'How's little Mushroom doing?" but I think that name will pass once the baby is born.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Congratulations to the soon to be 'papa'. I am so happy for you.

It is commendable that you want some old school dharmic name for your child. But you have to consider two things; one is to keep peace in the family and the other is to select a name that the child will like when he/she grows up and that it will give him/her advantage in life. One cannot ignore keeping the spouse happy with the name choice or the child to like it upon maturity.

I have seen some well meaning Hindus in the US name their son Prikshit. That is a beautiful name in India, but here the child is going to be continually taunted with the last four letters of his given name. That is an awful way to grow up. So, even with dharmic names one must be careful not to select a name that will make the child's life miserable. The owner of the name - the child - and both parents must be happy with the choice. It is not a one person decision.

Pranam.

Namaste Sapam,

Congratulations, There are many names of thy father and I would advise that you sit in a quiet place and think about him and the inspiration will come to you.Much love to you and your family. ....

Ohm Namah Shivayah...

Namaskar,

I have no better advice than anything given above, but wanted to congratulate you on the happy addition to your family!

~Pranams
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Thread Information