Thread: Klim Krishnaya Govindaya Gopijana Vallabhaya Swaha

Question Klim Krishnaya Govindaya Gopijana Vallabhaya Swaha

Dear forum,

what information can you give me about the mantra: Klim Krishnaya Govindaya Gopijana Vallabhaya Swaha? Like, what is the translation and when is it used?

Thanks

Re: Klim Krishnaya Govindaya Gopijana Vallabhaya Swaha

Namaste,

I'm only a beginner, but here's what an internet search brought up.

That mantra is found in the Gopala Tapani Upanishad. Here's an English translation of it in PDF: http://www.sribabaji.org/mgm_data/fi..._Upanishad.pdf. Something about akshara? Oh, and hexagonal mantras. That's way beyond my feeble mind, so I'll let more knowledgeable people expand on what I've said.

Klim is apparently Krishna's bija, related to His all-attractiveness, or being pulled toward Him. This webpage may be of interest (scroll down): http://www.getting-positive-karma-now.com/kleem.html.

I always thought klim was for Maha Devi. Ya learn something new every day. . . .

I think the following link has an interesting interpretation of this mantra: http://www.dailyom.com/cgi-bin/discu....cgi?did=11262. Look for "Surinder Kumar"'s post. It's an ISKON site, or at least the people there are part of that group.

Senebty, may you be healthy.
    All these things shine.
    May you shine, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosinuskurve View Post
    Dear forum,

what information can you give me about the mantra: Klim Krishnaya Govindaya Gopijana Vallabhaya Swaha? Like, what is the translation and when is it used?

Thanks
    praNAm Cosinuskurve,

-klIm is a tAntrika bIjamantram, kind of like oM, which relates to shrI lakShmI (and also mahAkAlI), but in itself doesn't really "mean" anything; however, it's often viewed as representing desire/kAma.

-kRiShNAya is in caturthIvibhakti meaning that kRiShNa is the receiver, so the closest English equivalent would be "to kRiShNa" (cf. oM namaH shivAya)

-govinda is a name for kRiShNa (as you probably know), meaning "the finder (vinda) of cows (go)." Therefore, govindAya means "to the finder of cows"

-gopIjanavallabha is also a name for kRiShNa, and means the "dear friend of the gopI people (i.e. cowherd girls)"; "gopIjanavallabhAya," following the above examples, means "to the dear friend of the gopI-s"

-svAhA is similar to "hail" (or in the context of a yaj~na, "oblations to")

So, the overall meaning would be:
    klIm - "hail to kRiShNa, to the finder of cows, to the dear friend of the gopI-s"
    Last edited by Jaskaran Singh; 27 March 2014 at 02:06 AM.
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SatBast View Post
    I always thought klim was for Maha Devi. Ya learn something new every day. . . .
    praNAm,
    I don't remember seeing your post (perhaps because of post moderation, I had to deal with the too at first, it sucks ), so I didn't respond before.

However, you are indeed correct that klIm generally refers to a devI, that's why the navavarNachAmuNDA mantram* (varNa here is the amount of svara-s/akShara-s in the mantram, which in this case represent the navadurgA) goes:

ॐ ऐं ह्रीं क्लीं चामुण्डायै विच्छे स्वाहा
    ("oM aiM hrIm klIM chAmuNDAyai vichchhe svAhA")

-oM has multiple meanings, but in this case it is likely to invoke the trimUrtI

-aiM represents devI sarasvatI and healing the brain

-hrIM represents maa lakShmI and removing spiritual and mental poverty

-klIM represents mahAkAlI as well as the ability to destroy obstacles (cf. durgatinAshinI)

-chAmuNDAyai/chAmuNDAye means to chAmuNDA devI (the killer of chaNDa and muNDa, i.e. chaNDikA)

-vichchhe means "I go (for myself)," since the "e" ending is added to the root vichchh (vichchhati is the unconjugated verb meaning to go) makes it an Atmanepada, meaning that the word is for the AtmA, or self.

So, the overall mantram would be
    "oM aiM hRIm klIm to chAmuNDA maiya I go (for myself)"

*the navavarNa/navarNa mantram is the often used in japa and nyAsa and is probably the most important mantra for chaNDikA bhakta-s, and understandably so, because it praises bhagavatI while invoking the trimUrti, tridevI, and the navadurgA.

If you look at the above, klIM refers to mahAkAlI, so it can definitely refer to devI. However, in essence it is the kAmabIja, so it also relates to love or attraction; which devatA is most associated with attractiveness? kanhaiyA of course. Hence, it can also refer to kR^iShNa.

oM namo nArAyaNAya.
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Thread Information