Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Depictions of Krishna.

Re: Depictions of Krishna.

Namaste,

Just to make a note, kruShNa does not necessarily mean black. KruShNa also means dark (dark complexioned)

Black is also note bad colour for meditation. It has quality to absorb energy.

If you have noticed, many idols of Gods and Goddesses (specially Maa Kali) are black in colour.

When you do trATaka or gaze at idol, black colour absorbs you (pulls you towards itself). concentration naturally increases and one finds peace within. One also find cooling effect while meditating.

OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Amrut View Post
    Namaste,

Just to make a note, kruShNa does not necessarily mean black. KruShNa also means dark (dark complexioned)

Black is also note bad colour for meditation. It has quality to absorb energy.

If you have noticed, many idols of Gods and Goddesses (specially Maa Kali) are black in colour.

When you do trATaka or gaze at idol, black colour absorbs you (pulls you towards itself). concentration naturally increases and one finds peace within. One also find cooling effect while meditating.

OM
    My point is that whenever you see Krishna you will usually see him depicted as light blue, to sky blue. Hardly ever do you see him depicted as dark skinned or black, only in some murtis, but not in mainstream representation.

On the contrary I always see Rakshasas, Asuras, and other assorted villains routinely depicted as brown skinned or dark complexioned.

Indian children are growing up learning religion through garbage like this:

Indians are subconciously taught from birth that dark skin is "bad" and white skin is "good." Why should this be the case when Krishna, the supreme Lord himself, had an extremely dark complexion? Who taught Indians to run from that fact? This is the point I was trying to make with this thread.

PEACE.

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Amrut View Post
    Namaste,
    OM
    Consider kṛṣṇa = kṛṣ+ ṇa

• kṛṣ = to draw into one's power , become master of
    • a = nirvṛti , and used for the etymology of kṛṣṇa
    • nirvṛti = emancipation or nirvana; this word (nirvṛti) also means
      complete satisfaction or happiness , bliss , pleasure , delight
    We now have kṛṣṇa as the master (kṛṣ) of emancipation or nirvana (ṇa), of complete satisfaction & delight ( as ṇa = nirvṛti)

iti śiva
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Yajvan ji, Thank you so much for explanation. I had not heard of this meaning before. I knew Krishna stands for Anand Lahiri prem lahiri and saundarya lahiri. Krishna is a lahar, wave of attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by SKR108 View Post
    My point is that whenever you see Krishna you will usually see him depicted as light blue, to sky blue. Hardly ever do you see him depicted as dark skinned or black, only in some murtis, but not in mainstream representation.

On the contrary I always see Rakshasas, Asuras, and other assorted villains routinely depicted as brown skinned or dark complexioned.

Indian children are growing up learning religion through garbage like this:

Indians are subconciously taught from birth that dark skin is "bad" and white skin is "good." Why should this be the case when Krishna, the supreme Lord himself, had an extremely dark complexion? Who taught Indians to run from that fact? This is the point I was trying to make with this thread.

PEACE.
    Namaste,

Please do not go for cartoons and pictures. They are imaginations of todays mind. Ravan was a Brahmin by birth and son of a rishi. He would also have been bright complexioned. In ramayana, I had read that when Surpanakha came to complain about Laxman (laxman had chopped her nose), there is a description of Ravan in which his face have golden glow (Just quoting from memory).

This dark skin is bad is a western philosophy of 'East India Company'. Todays researchers says that colour of skin depends upon many factor. One important factor that I saw in a discovery channel is effect of Sun rays.

People in desert area are black and those in himalayas are white or fair complexioned.

Colour of skin is does not denote any kind of superiority says science.

See which colour is used for making idol. It is either black or white. I have seen a svayambhu Ganesh moortis in orange colour.

OM
    Last edited by Amrut; 13 May 2014 at 02:27 AM.
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information