Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When God helped you - Share your experiences if any.

Re: When God helped you - Share your experiences if any.

Dear friend ,
    there is time and place for everything and the drama unfolds when the time comes . Antharyami is just a spectator , a witness for all actions . Where utmost devotion is present he stands by the side of devotee and gives strength to face the ordeal .When I mentioned about Gods , I mean lessor gods and deities not a Antharyami -- Supreme God.

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by renuka View Post
    Whatever said and done..even if we feel we had sinned why run to God and ask forgiveness?
    That shows lack of courage..one should be brave enough to face consequences if one feels one has sinned.
    Committing an error and then asking for forgiveness makes us humans take God for granted and keep on committing errors with the confidence that God will bail us out.
    God is not our criminal lawyer to bail us out each time we feel we had done wrong.
    One should be brave enough to learn to fight our own faults ourselves without asking for forgiveness.
    We should learn to pay the price for our actions even if it means a stint in "hell".
    The Brave never ask for forgiveness.
    This is a dangerous advice, imho.

Prayer and asking for forgiveness does help. It is not that there is no one there to listen to your prayers. The intensity of Karma can be alleviated to a great extent with prayer and asking for forgiveness. The effects of grace can be dramatic. Please refer Bhagwad Gita where God says that by having unfailing devotion to God, one can get rid of bondage of Karmas even if he may be the worst of sinners.

Please don't make yourself suffer thinking that it is all due to your Karma and you must bear the suffering caused by it. If you want to suffer, it is perfectly OK. No one can have any issues with that. However, there is a way out. You can always ask for grace of God/Guru to alleviate your sufferings. The grace can change the course of Karmic effects. Karmas are like seeds which sprout at the right environment and time.

Prayers can attract the effects of your good Karmas, Prayers can lessen the intensity of effects of bad Karmas, Prayers can attract grace of God/Guru in spite of whatever Karmas are due to sprout in your life. We have infinite Karmas seeds stored in our sub-conscious mind which gives rise to many possibilities in our life. There is no need that we must suffer all the Karmas. Then we are in an endless cycle of sufferings. The Karmas can be completely annihilated with rising of JnAna and instead of trying to work out our inexhaustible Karmas we must concentrate on getting rid of the clutches of Karmas by proceeding on the path of JnAna.

If you can manage your life without God/Guru's grace ... it is fine. However, it is not wise. When you can get help from them then why not ask for it ? Why ashamed of asking from God/Guru ?

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Why ashamed of asking from God/Guru ?

OM
    Namaste Ji,

Its not being ashamed..its loving God enough to not take Him for granted and rather suffer the consequences of any wrong act done by me instead of seeking forgiveness and be bailed out.

Even in the court of Law we respect the Judge and face the sentence.

I have met many people in life who have said they regret doing this before and wish God would forgive them and seek forgiveness..but for me I feel the opposite..When I look back in life there were surely some stuff I did which I feel I should not have done..but I never seek forgiveness for it because whatever done is done.
    It is my fault..so its only fair I face the consequences boldly as not to repeat it again.With the option of seeking for forgiveness one has the tendency to repeat the offending act.

There is no shame involved if a offender accepts his sentence.

Dear friend ,
    I view the issue in a different way .It is not asking forgiveness but is surrendering .Bhakthi means overflowing love and a love means overflowing bhakthi . When you love your personal god , ( any form of the supreme anatha chithanyam) you surrender everything to him or her with out any holds barred . There are no rights or wrongs which are subject to human fallacies .You have to accept the verdict given , taking it as his wish .But definitely he stands by you , while facing the result , when total surrender is made.

Namaste,

Its not being ashamed..its loving God enough to not take Him for granted and rather suffer the consequences of any wrong act done by me instead of seeking forgiveness and be bailed out.

Even in the court of Law we respect the Judge and face the sentence.
    If you treat God a a Judge and for passing judgement, He/She will behave accordingly. There are better relationships in store which are more helpful like Father-Son or daughter/Mother-Son or daughter. I try to see God as my mother. Now, mother can be judge but may help me out too if I am stuck. The relationship with God is not dry like in a court of Law.

I have met many people in life who have said they regret doing this before and wish God would forgive them and seek forgiveness..but for me I feel the opposite..When I look back in life there were surely some stuff I did which I feel I should not have done..but I never seek forgiveness for it because whatever done is done.
    That is perfectly your choice. God is there to help you out of your mistakes but if you are not interested, God won't mind. Please remember what Lord has assured : "Aham tvam sarvapaapebhyoh, Mokshisyami mA suchah". And still you want to go alone then there is no issue : Best of luck !

It is my fault..so its only fair I face the consequences boldly as not to repeat it again.With the option of seeking for forgiveness one has the tendency to repeat the offending act.
    It is entirely upto you. If you don't want God's help, it is perfectly OK.

There is no shame involved if a offender accepts his sentence.
    No. You are misquoting my use of the word. I said, "Why ashamed of asking from God/Guru ?".

OM

[QUOTE=devotee;119098]Namaste,

If you treat God a a Judge and for passing judgement, He/She will behave accordingly. There are better relationships in store which are more helpful like Father-Son or daughter/Mother-Son or daughter. I try to see God as my mother. Now, mother can be judge but may help me out too if I am stuck. The relationship with God is not dry like in a court of Law.

/QUOTE]
    Namaste Ji,

Nope! I dont treat God as a Judge.

In fact I never wrote anywhere that I treat God as a Judge.

May be I should have been more specific.What I meant is The Judge is our own actions and reactions in the cycle called Karma.

On a personal note I prefer not to humanize God..I dont see God as mother or father or any relative because what do I really know about God as to give Him names?

When I was in India last week I had met a person who had an interesting conversation with me.

She asked me "Are you religious/spiritual?"

My reply to her was :

"Its actually very hard for a person to self proclaim he/she is religious or spiritual as its open to interpretation..but personally I feel self transformation is what that is needed more than external worship...I prefer to subscribe to the concept of an Impersonal God which is all pervading as in Universal Consciousness"

Then she said "So I believe you are not religious or spiritual"

I smiled to myself wondering why she actually came to that conclusion.May be she felt my perception was too dry??LOL

I feel many people think that by not personalizing God its almost impossible to "connect" with God.

There is no harm personalizing God if one feels its fine but to feel that as you said "There are better relationships in store which are more helpful like Father-Son or daughter/Mother-Son or daughter" makes it sound that we are always trying to fit God into a mental impression of our mind.

When we try to make God into some relationship we are comfortable with..we subconsciously "limit" God ....when will we ever allow God to be God in His Glory to us?

Why subject God to the limitations of our mind?

Its humanly impossible to comprehend God in our mind so the best is total surrender and live life as it comes and accept what comes along the way be it good or bad and let the Karmic cycle be the judge and we accept the actions and reactions as lessons of live learnt in the physical plane.

Dear friends,

I wanted to share my 2 cents on this debate - whether one can ask for forgiveness from the lord or one has to face consequences of his actions by himself. Surely, being brave to face consequences of one's misdeeds is commendable. But there is one caveat with this approach. We are all a mixture of Sattwa, Rajas and Tamas gunas. Our misdeeds are either due to rajas or tamas. It is said Rajas and Tamas are hard to conquer by oneself and one needs the helping hand of god to get rid of their influence, which is the reason why anyone needs to practice bhakti yoga, jnana yoga, etc. Therefore one who does not ask for lord's forgiveness is supposedly taking a vow to go on their own, and this does not necessarily translate into a solid means for curing their rajas and tamas - surely, one would face karmic reactions, like Renuka ji said, even falling into the hell for instance, which may ultimately rid one's rajas and tamas, but why all this suffering? Instead the wise will surrender unto the lord, ask for his mercy and carry-on the god-given good life in service of the Lord and service of humanity. The atma that belongs to each of us isn't necessarily ours, it belongs to the mighty paramatma, therefore subjecting it to undue suffering is a sin, which will be evaluated much as causing suffering to others. This is why, 'Atma hatya' or suicide is wrong and bad.

Imagine how painful a broken family is to the little children, a parent deceased with Cancer to the child and other kith and kin, and other tragedies in life? They not only cause harm to us, they also interact with other's karmas and their well-being in a negative way. A prudent and wise man therefore will not resort to causing suffering to his atma, but to nourish it with bhagavath bhakti and asking for his forgiveness.

I would like to end the note by citing the example given by the great Adi Shankara in his Lakshmi Narasimha Karavalamba Stotram:

Samsara koopam adhi ghora Magadha moolam,
    Samprapya dukha satha sarpa samakulasya,
    Dheenasya Deva krupana padamagadasya,
    Lakshmi Nrsimha Mama Dehi Karavalambam. 4

Oh Great God Lakshmi Nrsimha,
    I have reached the very dangerous and deep,
    Bottom of the well of day to day life,
    And also being troubled by hundreds,
    Of miseries which are like serpents,
    And am really miserable and have,
    Reached the state of wretchedness and so,
    Please give me the protection of your hands.

Samsara Sagara vishala karala kala,
    Nakra graham grasana nigraha vigrahasya,
    Vyagrasya raga rasanormini peedithasya,
    Lakshmi Nrsimha Mama Dehi Karavalambam. 5

I have reached this wide unfathomable ocean of day to day life,
    And I have been caught by black deadly,
    Crocodiles called time which are killing me
    And I am also afflicted by waves of passion,
    And attachments to pleasures like taste and so,

Samasra Vrukshamagha bheeja manantha karma,
    Sakha satham karana pathramananga pushpam,
    Aroohasya dukha phalitham pathatho dayalo,
    Lakshmi Nrsimha Mama Dehi Karavalambam. 6

I have climbed the tree of worldly life,
    Which grew from the seed of great sin,
    Which has hundreds of branches of past karmas,
    Which has leaves which are parts of my body,
    Which has flowers which are the result of Venus,
    And which has fruits called sorrow,
    But I am falling down from it fast and so,

Thanks and regards.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste,

I prefer to subscribe to the concept of an Impersonal God which is all pervading as in Universal Consciousness"

I feel many people think that by not personalizing God its almost impossible to "connect" with God.

There is no harm personalizing God if one feels its fine but to feel that as you said "There are better relationships in store which are more helpful like Father-Son or daughter/Mother-Son or daughter" makes it sound that we are always trying to fit God into a mental impression of our mind.

When we try to make God into some relationship we are comfortable with..we subconsciously "limit" God ....when will we ever allow God to be God in His Glory to us?

Why subject God to the limitations of our mind?
    I think we have reached to the point where this discussion can be laid to rest. However, I would clarify something :

a) In whatever way we think of God, even Impersonal Universal Consciousness, we can't avoid bringing God to limitations of mind. The way to God which is beyond mind goes through mind.
    b) God is Universal Consciousness ... pervading everything and every point in this universe but it doesn't mean that God cannot act as Mother or Father or Guru or Judge or whatever. That is the beauty of this state of pure consciousness. It becomes as He/She/It is worshiped as (refer Mudgala Upanishad).

In fact, mother needn't be a sari-clad, bangles/sindur wearing/long-haired lady ... it is a game of Consciousness and thought-waves arising in it. Our mind is individualised Consciousness with limitations of seeing in gross and subtle aspects. It has to interact with Universal Consciousness. This must be carefully understood. When I am trying to contact God ... it is not my body ... it is not male ... it is not human being ... it is individualised consciousness made up of Manas-Chitta and Ahamakaar (which is nothing but in essence Universal consciousness alone) which is trying to contact God. If I call you my sister, it is actually your individualised consciousness that I am addressing to. When I address you and I successfully make you feel that you are my sister, you will start having a feeling of soft corner for me that a sister has for her brother. This happens in case of interaction between Individualised Consciousness and Universal Consciousness too.

In school of our Guru, we are taught to treat God as Father/Mother ... better as Mother, as Mother is less demanding than father. See, in Bhagwad Gita Lord Krishna has said that all types of feelings that we have come from God alone. Please think .... where from our feeling of treating our children as Father/Mother comes ? Where from our feeling of treating our spouses as we treat them comes ? It is all coming from the same Source. Our source is the Source of all our feelings too. We can't generate what already is not there in the Source. The feeling of human relations is no exception.

You may check what Gurus of other schools say.

OM

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    In school of our Guru, we are taught to treat God as Father/Mother ... better as Mother, as Mother is less demanding than father. See, in Bhagwad Gita Lord Krishna has said that all types of feelings that we have come from God alone. Please think .... where from our feeling of treating our children as Father/Mother comes ? Where from our feeling of treating our spouses as we treat them comes ? It is all coming from the same Source. Our source is the Source of all our feelings too. We can't generate what already is not there in the Source. The feeling of human relations is no exception.

You may check what Gurus of other schools say.

OM

Dear Sir,

Namaste,

To me I feel the "relationship" with God can not be defined in words.

Whatever we feel for example if we feel we take God like Mother or Father is the product of the conditioning of the mind.

Just as you said that your Guru told you to take God as Mother..it was your Guru who conditioned your mind to do so.

All mental concoction of God is only possible with the aid of the mind.

The mind by nature is self limiting.

In the purest state, the mind (which is a relay of thoughts) ceases to exist and God becomes a "Presence".

This "Presence" is neither Father nor Mother nor anyone..for God is verily God.

Namaste,

To me I feel the "relationship" with God can not be defined in words.

Whatever we feel for example if we feel we take God like Mother or Father is the product of the conditioning of the mind.

Just as you said that your Guru told you to take God as Mother..it was your Guru who conditioned your mind to do so.

All mental concoction of God is only possible with the aid of the mind.

The mind by nature is self limiting.
    Mind has to play a great role in taking us beyond mind. The whole essence of Yoga is for controlling mind-waves. That has to be done with the help of mind.

In the purest state, the mind (which is a relay of thoughts) ceases to exist and God becomes a "Presence".

This "Presence" is neither Father nor Mother nor anyone..for God is verily God.
    "Presence" is also a mental concoction alone.

OM

Thread Information