Thread: Ahimsa, Purity and Animal Skins...

Ahimsa, Purity and Animal Skins...

Namaskar ji,

I am curious and wanted to see what people's thought are about this, in general. I realize there will likely be varying opinions and practices here, though I wonder also if there is something specific within the scriptures that directly forbids what I am about to describe, or if this is really just a matter of sectarian interpretation, personal level of practice, and local custom like many things appear to be.

I have been going to a Satsang Community Temple. By way of describing the general community, the leadership of the temple and the largest group who attend are Gujarati and are mostly followers of Pt. Shriram Sharma Acharya, founder of AWGP, All World Gayatri Pariwar.

There is a gentleman who attends regularly who wears a leather jacket all the time. He also takes and passes the aarti plate with his left hand. He is the only person I have noticed doing any of these things.

I know that the jacket could be camel, goat or sheep skin, but I thought it was offensive to wear animal skins inside any temple? Or is that only certain sects? Same with taking and passing with the left hand, particularly when handling food and pure or sacred objects? What are people's thoughts on this?

I am not judging at all, but I am curious and a bit confused. What are people's thoughts and personal practices on this? Has anyone else seen such before?

~Pranams
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Re: Ahimsa, Purity and Animal Skins...

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Namaskar ji,

I am curious and wanted to see what people's thought are about this, in general. I realize there will likely be varying opinions and practices here, though I wonder also if there is something specific within the scriptures that directly forbids what I am about to describe, or if this is really just a matter of sectarian interpretation, personal level of practice, and local custom like many things appear to be.

I have been going to a Satsang Community Temple. By way of describing the general community, the leadership of the temple and the largest group who attend are Gujarati and are mostly followers of Pt. Shriram Sharma Acharya, founder of AWGP, All World Gayatri Pariwar.

There is a gentleman who attends regularly who wears a leather jacket all the time. He also takes and passes the aarti plate with his left hand. He is the only person I have noticed doing any of these things.

I know that the jacket could be camel, goat or sheep skin, but I thought it was offensive to wear animal skins inside any temple? Or is that only certain sects? Same with taking and passing with the left hand, particularly when handling food and pure or sacred objects? What are people's thoughts on this?

I am not judging at all, but I am curious and a bit confused. What are people's thoughts and personal practices on this? Has anyone else seen such before?

~Pranams
    Namaste,

You'd have to ask someone that is an officiant of that community to derive the most appropriate answer. Have you brought this up with anyone there?

Personally, I've seen it quite often in various temples of a multitude of differing backgrounds.

Namaskar Sudas ji,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

I haven't asked anyone yet, no. I am worried about being misunderstood and causing any offense. I am still a newcomer and while the few people I have spoken with there have far better English speaking skill than I have at speaking Gujarati, Hindi, or Sanskrit, they are not so good that we do not have difficulty understanding one another fairly regularly. While everyone I have interacted with have been welcoming and kind, I am still kind of a spectacle there, and i know I have caused a little bit of a stir from time to time by my presence - I do understand just enough of the language to get it when someone is wondering why I am there. It is the very openness and accepting nature of this community that allows for all to come and worship, regardless of leather clothes or cultural upbringing, which I value. So I don't yet want to push things by asking such questions that could be so easily misunderstood. Perhaps as my own language skills get better, and I get to know others better...

That said, I also know it's kind of a tall order to ask people here as well. This is why I tried to phrase it in as general a manner as possible. I know there can be no direct answer for this specific instance and community, and there may well be no straightforward and single answer at all. I am still interested to know thoughts on the matter though, if people would like to offer theirs.

It is interesting to know that you have seen this a lot, thank you. It is answers like this that put into perspective actual practice versus book learning. May I ask, would you be comfortable going to a Temple wearing leather or fur?

Thank you again.
    ~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Post Re: Ahimsa, Purity and Animal Skins...

As far as I know many rules are to obeyed while visiting a temple.The rules are applicable to all Sampradayas ,maybe with a few variations.

The dress code is traditional Indian attire,dhoti/veshti/pancha/mundu for men and sari for women.All other types of dresses are to be avoided.I know that it is no longer possible to follow it.But I try to do it at least when participating in Puja.People not wearing traditional attire near
    the sanctum sanctorum area are anyway requested(or sometimes shooed away ) to change into proper attire by the priests.

Touching anything with left hand during Puja is a simple NO-NO.Anything touched by the left hand is considered impure unless something in the right hand is forcing us to use the left one.

I've never seen anyone wearing animal products and entering temples.IMHO it is better to avoid.

It is a good thing to follow the rules since most of them are meant for hygiene purposes.However, there is no need to get paranoid and start worrying when it not possible .
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Vannakkam Anandini: In the western temples, often people do wear leather. There are many reasons ... warmth, unavailability of anything else, not knowing, etc. Of course, I personally wouldn't. Although I do own a set of leather work-boots. Hard top get vegan tough stuff. As for the left hand, there's a decent chance he doesn't know better and nobody has gotten around to letting him know. I carried a tray that way for a bit too, out of habit, from being a bartender in my youth. But the priest let me know soon enough, and it was corrected.

As a newcomer, or as newcomers, I don't think it's our job to correct, although I do enforce the 'Silent!' rule we have. I think maybe if you could approach another elder, and inform them, something might change, especially when he is the only one it seems.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

I have attended temples which post very clear RESTRICTIONS clearly on a sign, typically in the first lobby or front hall when you first walk in and before you enter the main temple room. These are put right up wear you can see it immediately. In fact, one of the temples I go to often, it has such a posted sign.

Such postings can include restrictions such as NO SHOES BEYOND THIS ROOM, NO PICTURES OF GODS, NO LEATHER CLOTHING, NO TALKING ON CELL PHONE, ALTAR IS FOR PRIESTS ONLY and so on.

I think this is the answer. All temples, especially in the west, need these postings. If you do not, then if somrone wears a leather jacket you cannot really say anyhing much though some things are so obvious that it probably does not require a posting such as climbing onto the altar and picking up or moving murtis.

In one of the most strict temples I attend, I recall seeing a nice lady and man (Indian) bring offerings to God. But the food offering was in a jar clearly marked with the original label of Kraft Mayonnaise. And it was a big jar, with what looked like milk in it. Hmmmm ... didn't look very good to see that IMHO.

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste,

In catching up, I realize I never thanked you for responding, Ram ji, EM ji and SF ji. My gratitude.

I don't see a need to bring it up to anyone because it doesn't particularly bother me, I am just curious about it and felt this was the better place to ask. =)

I also have noticed postings as to attendance rules at many Temples, and also usually on their websites, at the start of the timings section. My own experience is that expectations for "Traditional dress" for women also extends to Salwar Kameez/Suits and Lehenga, not just Sari.

~Pranam-s
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Namaste,
    My own experience is that expectations for "Traditional dress" for women also extends to Salwar Kameez/Suits and Lehenga, not just Sari.

~Pranam-s
    Vannakkam: Yes, absolutely it does. Most women will wear either. In my wife's case, it sometimes depends on whether or not she's driving, where we might be going before or after, etc.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information