Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ravana Granting a Blessing to Rama?

Question Ravana Granting a Blessing to Rama?

Namaste HDF,

I have a question about a particular point in the Ramayana. Admittedly I haven't read that far into the Ramayana yet (it's a long book, even when translated into English by Ramesh Menon), but I did hear about one part of the Ramayana that is confusing to me. Again, I haven't gotten to this part yet, but if someone could explain it to me, that might help me understand the Ramayana better.

The part I'm referring to is the part where supposedly Sri Rama has to seek the blessing of a prominent priest (or whatever the proper title is) in order to defeat Ravana. The problem being for Rama is that the most prominent priest at the time of the story is none other than Ravana himself. And yet Ravana does the puja for Rama anyway.

Maybe there's something else in the Ramayana I haven't gotten to yet that would explain this, but right now I'm confused why Ravana would essentially doom himself by granting a blessing to his enemy. In another thread on the Ramayana I did read about how some of the themes of the Ramayana involve love and forgiveness between unexpected sources, even bitter rivals or mortal enemies. Still, though, from what I've read so far, Ravana doesn't seem like the type of villain who would essentially do a favor for his enemy and contribute to his own downfall.

Maybe someone can explain this better for me? Don't worry about "spoiling" the story for me; I'm sure I will still get spiritual uplift from the Ramayana.

Post Re: Ravana Granting a Blessing to Rama?

Namaste Webimpulse Ji,

I read this story in my childhood.Ravana was a Brahmin.A
    Brahmin's duty is to guide people.When Sri Ram wished to know
    the best time(muhurta) that would result in a victory,he was
    advised to consult Ravana.Ravana being well versed in
    scriptures suggested the appropriate moment to launch war.And
    the rest is history.Ravana performed his Dharma.

Ravana's downfall was due to crossing the limits set by Dharma
    Shastras.Those who fail to practise Dharma are bound to be doomed someday or other.By providing the muhurta Ravana merely started bearing the effects of his past Adharmic actions that would bring destruction upon himself.

Forgive me if there are any mistakes.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Re: Ravana Granting a Blessing to Rama?

Namaskar,

Thank you Ram ji, for a new perspective. From my own remembrance and perspective, reading long ago similar to yourself, Ravana was a sage in his own right and in asking for his boon from his Tapasya, had asked for the boon to be indestructible by any other Asura, Deva or Celetial being, including the Trimurti, and never even considered to include Humans as he never considered them any kind of match to him in any way, shape or form. A classic case of Hubris and Egotism. Rama was nothing more than another Human to Ravana's eyes, so Ravana never even considered Rama a threat.

This is the way I remember the tale, though my memory is likely full of a lot of holes. I am starting a re-read of the Gita rather than the Ramayana, so it may be some time before i can check on that, if others can quote parts that contradict this take, please remind me. I could very much use the refresher. =)

~Pranams
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

By providing the muhurta Ravana merely started bearing the effects of his past Adharmic actions that would bring destruction upon himself.
    Namaste,

I haven't come across this story. Can you provide the verse/sloka from Valmiki Raamayana.

Pranam...
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Namaste HDF,

I have a question about a particular point in the Ramayana. Admittedly I haven't read that far into the Ramayana yet (it's a long book, even when translated into English by Ramesh Menon), but I did hear about one part of the Ramayana that is confusing to me. Again, I haven't gotten to this part yet, but if someone could explain it to me, that might help me understand the Ramayana better.

The part I'm referring to is the part where supposedly Sri Rama has to seek the blessing of a prominent priest (or whatever the proper title is) in order to defeat Ravana. The problem being for Rama is that the most prominent priest at the time of the story is none other than Ravana himself. And yet Ravana does the puja for Rama anyway.

Maybe there's something else in the Ramayana I haven't gotten to yet that would explain this, but right now I'm confused why Ravana would essentially doom himself by granting a blessing to his enemy. In another thread on the Ramayana I did read about how some of the themes of the Ramayana involve love and forgiveness between unexpected sources, even bitter rivals or mortal enemies. Still, though, from what I've read so far, Ravana doesn't seem like the type of villain who would essentially do a favor for his enemy and contribute to his own downfall.

Maybe someone can explain this better for me? Don't worry about "spoiling" the story for me; I'm sure I will still get spiritual uplift from the Ramayana.
    Namaste,

I too cannot relate to verses but remember the story. I will try to recall it as much as possible.

After reaching Lanka, Sri Rama tried peace attempts. But he failed. It is customary to do a ritual. As seen generally avatars of Vishnu are shiva bhaktas. Sri Rama wanted to perform a Shiva puja for vicctory.

For that a Brahmin priest was required. Hence Ravana helped him in doing puja.

It is a said that Ranava knew the past , present and future and his descend on earth. This act would be helpful as he was cursed to fall down. Jaya and Vijay wanted to be killed by the Lord.

Other logic is that They all knew what would happen, what is right and what is wrong, but due to their ego, they would do what they should not.

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Apart from what other people might have said, Ravana was Jaya, the door keeper of Vaikuntha, and Kumbhakarna was Vijaya (under a curse from Sanathkumaras). And they wanted to return to Vaikuntha as soon as possible. That is why they selected to be bad people, as this enabled them to return after three births. Being good would have meant seven births and greater separation from their Lord (Vishnu). So it is natural that Ravana performed the puja so that Lord Rama defeats him.
    "Paropakaram punyaya, papaya parapeedanam."
    (Helping others is merit, causing pain is sin)

Quote:

Ravana merely started bearing the effects of his past Adharmic actions that would bring destruction upon himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste,

I haven't come across this story. Can you provide the verse/sloka from Valmiki Raamayana.

Pranam...
    Namaste Ji,

In the Vanaparva of the Mahabharata, Rishi Markandeya narrates Ramavatara to Yudhisthira.It is said there that when the vanara Angada went to Ravana's court as a messenger he declared to Ravana that it was (high) time to start bearing the result of his past Adharmic actions.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste,

At times one starts to wonder..Was Ravana waiting to be killed by Lord Rama?
    Did Ravana want an end to his life as soon as possible?

If one reads a stanza from Shiva Tandava Stotram composed by Ravana there he leaves no doubt that he wants to be released as soon as possible from his existence.

The stanza is:

Kada nilimpanirjhari nikujnjakotare vasanh
    Vimuktadurmatih sada shirah sthamajnjalim vahanh
    Vimuktalolalochano lalamabhalalagnakah
    Shiveti mantramuchcharan sada sukhi bhavamyaham

13.1: When will I Dwell in a Cave within the Dense Woods by the side of the River Goddess Ganga and ...
    13.2: ... being Free Forever from Sinful Mental Dispositions.. Worship Shiva Keeping my Hands on the Forehead?
    13.3: When will I be Free from the Rolling of the Eyes (signifying lustful tendencies) and Worship Shiva applying the Sacred Mark on the Forehead?
    13.4: When will I be Happy Uttering the Mantras of Shiva?

Well he did seemed sort of unhappy with his life from this stanza!

Anyway even if he did want to die fast..he knew that Lord Rama would not simply kill him for nothing at all or for a trivial matter..so Ravana had to think of a totally gross Adharmic act to make sure Lord Rama has a valid reason to kill him..so what the best method?

To kidnap one's wife..that's Adharmic and will surely swing Lord Rama into action.

So when we actually look at the Ramayan at a different perspective at times it seems that all Lord Rama cared for is Ravana and all Ravana wanted is to die in the hands of Lord Rama.

Its like a divine love story between a anti hero devotee and God.

Namaste
    There are many fanciful versions of the story whereas the original story in Valmiki Ramayana itself is so thought provoking.

In VR it is Akampana who narrowly escapes from the carnage of Khara etc at Janasthana͵ tells Ravana that he wont be able to kill Rama in a straight fight͵ hence its better to steal Sita first and make Rama dispirited in the forest. Hence Seethapaharanam was a tactical move as Rama all alone would not have been able to find out where Seetha was and rescue her.

The big lesson of Ramayana (one of the greatest detective stories of all time͵ in my opinion) is͵ it is impossible for a human to achieve his goals independently͵ no matter how Mahapurusha he is. Humans are born for coexistence͵ mutual support - with human and non-human beings.
    Last edited by harih; 11 June 2015 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by harih View Post
    Namaste
    There are many fanciful versions of the story whereas the original story in Valmiki Ramayana itself is so thought provoking.

In VR it is Akampana who narrowly escapes from the carnage of Khara etc at Janasthana͵ tells Ravana that he wont be able to kill Rama in a straight fight͵ hence its better to steal Sita first and make Rama dispirited in the forest. Hence Seethapaharanam was a tactical move as Rama all alone would not have been able to find out where Seetha was and rescue her.

The big lesson of Ramayana (one of the greatest detective stories of all time͵ in my opinion) is͵ it is impossible for a human to achieve his goals independently͵ no matter how Mahapurusha he is.Humans are born for coexistence͵ mutual support - with human and non-human beings.
    Namaste Harih Ji,

I agree and thanks.

Thread Information