Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bhagavad Gita of Sri Sri Paramahansa Yogananda

Re: Bhagavad Gita of Sri Sri Paramahansa Yogananda

Namaste

For basic introduction to the teachings of the Bhagavad gita almost every translation may well serve.
    However seriously exploring the teachings of the Bhagavad gita begins when we begin to study the commentaries on Bhagavad gita. Only these commentaries reveal the depth of the teachings of the Gita. There a problem usually occurs, especially with a novices. Which commentary to choose? What to read?
    These are questions that are usually asked by beginners. He who has already chosen a philosophy of Hindu dharma or a tradition (sampradaya) probably does not have a problem when selecting. He will choose a commentary which belongs to this tradition. Teachings of a particular traditions can differ considerably. At least we must be aware of that when we reach for some commentary, otherwise we will be confused.
    Now, I know that many people will say "Oh yes I'm aware that their teachings differ considerably, but I'm still confused because I do not know which teaching to choose. One tradition says one thing and the other tradition often even says the opposite. So who is right?"
    Unfortunately there is no simple answer to this problem. Then the answer could only be something like this (http://vedabase.net/bg/10/en) Lord Krishna said to Arjuna in the Bhagavad gita:

BG 10.8: I am the source of all spiritual and material worlds. Everything emanates from Me. The wise who perfectly know this engage in My devotional service and worship Me with all their hearts.

BG 10.9: The thoughts of My pure devotees dwell in Me, their lives are fully devoted to My service, and they derive great satisfaction and bliss from always enlightening one another and conversing about Me.

BG 10.10: To those who are constantly devoted to serving Me with love, I give the understanding by which they can come to Me.

BG 10.11: To show them special mercy, I, dwelling in their hearts, destroy with the shining lamp of knowledge the darkness born of ignorance.

BG 10.12-13: Arjuna said: You are the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the ultimate abode, the purest, the Absolute Truth. You are the eternal, transcendental, original person, the unborn, the greatest. All the great sages such as Nārada, Asita, Devala and Vyāsa confirm this truth about You, and now You Yourself are declaring it to me.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by Brahma Jijnasa

BG 10.8: I am the source of all spiritual and material worlds. Everything emanates from Me. The wise who perfectly know this engage in My devotional service and worship Me with all their hearts.

BG 10.9: The thoughts of My pure devotees dwell in Me, their lives are fully devoted to My service, and they derive great satisfaction and bliss from always enlightening one another and conversing about Me.

BG 10.10: To those who are constantly devoted to serving Me with love, I give the understanding by which they can come to Me.

BG 10.11: To show them special mercy, I, dwelling in their hearts, destroy with the shining lamp of knowledge the darkness born of ignorance.

BG 10.12-13: Arjuna said: You are the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the ultimate abode, the purest, the Absolute Truth. You are the eternal, transcendental, original person, the unborn, the greatest. All the great sages such as Nārada, Asita, Devala and Vyāsa confirm this truth about You, and now You Yourself are declaring it to me.
    These verses' meanings entirely depend on the way of comprehending it. It depends on what we take here for I ? The I of Nirguna Bramh ( formless ) or Saguna Bramh ( with form ) or both ? I think Adi Shankara was with with both Formless & Bramh with Maya who is Krishna or Vishnu ( Krishna himself says in BG " I unmanifested, appear in human form with my Maya". The Bramh who is formless in its essential nature, creates a divine form with the power of Maya. The path of realisation for common people is from form to formless and the Bhakti is the very important ladder to reach upto that Bramh.

And Shri Krishna never said in gita that his form is supreme reality. If form is reality, then Krishna would have said it clearly in Gita. But he didn't. Instead he identifies himself as an unending omnipresent Bramha and a Tattva. Tattva and Omnipresent things can not have forms in any aspect. Besides Krishna himself has declared in Gita that supreme abode is unmanifested ( formless ) In Uddhava Gita also, Krishna says " My highest abode is Atma or Bramh having no any dualities " I think Krishna nowhere declares his real abode as Vaikuntha though he is often described as the lord of Vaikuntha.

Besides in Vibhuti yoga, Krishna mentions his Krishna ( Vasudeva ) form as a Vibhuti. And in his final teachings taught to uddhava ( Uddhava Gita ), Krishna talks about all these vibhutis and declares that these all are imaginations superimposed on my Nirguna nature. I created these all just to concentrate on me. Whoever thinks of me or broods over me, becomes my self. The knowers of Bramh become Bramh themselves .

Hare Krishna.....
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 16 April 2014 at 03:50 AM.
    Hari On!

Namaste

I wanna say something in a little bit funnier way on that last verse of Gita presented by Bramha Jijnasa

Here is that verse...

BG 10.12-13: Arjuna said: You are the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the ultimate abode, the purest, the Absolute Truth. You are the eternal, transcendental, original person, the unborn, the greatest
    And here is Bhagavata Purana's Mahavakya verse :

Shuka says to Parikshita :

" Dear Parikshita, You yourself are that supreme bramhan. You yourself are that supreme absolute abode. You are god . In this way, you should fix your self in an undivided Atma. " ( Bhagavata Purana 12.5.11)
    Now tell me what did you understand from these two verses ? If Krishna's form is bramhan, then here according to Bhagavata purana, Parikshita should become the supreme Personality of Godhead or bramhan. Isn't it ?

So it's very clear that the I of Bhagavada gita isn't the form of Krishna. I is the real nature of Krishna which is formless & Nirguna. I refers to ultimate formless Bramh. Besides in our scriptures there are plenty of verses standing to show Bhagavan as Nirakara or Arupa.

" Jiva or Atma himself is the Supreme abode or Bramh." This is the ultimate supreme knowledge . I really don't see anything higher than this truth of self.

However the most important thing is that this is the authority of Bhagavata purana. It's very strange that Krishna himself says that jiva becomes/is bramhan and most of his followers ignore his words.

Hare Krishna....
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 25 April 2014 at 03:37 AM.
    Hari On!

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by hinduism♥krishna View Post
    The path of realisation for common people is from form to formless and the Bhakti is the very important ladder to reach upto that Bramh.

Instead he identifies himself as an unending omnipresent Bramha and a Tattva. or Bramh having no any dualities

The knowers of Bramh become Bramh themselves .

" You are That Bramhan. You are that absolute abode .. You should always meditate like this. Thus you'll know your Infinite Self " ( BP 12.5.11 )
    On multiple post and for some time you offer the spelling of brahman as 'bramhan'. Is there a reason ( or insight) for this as an alternative spelling ?

I do not find any roots to bram + han or braṁ + han , or bra + mhan.

Brahman is from bṛh or bṛṁh - increase , expand, 'to make big'. So brahman is 'growth', 'swelling', 'expansion'.

Any insights to your alternative spelling approach is appreciated.

iti śiva
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste HLK and others

In my last post in this thread my intention was not to start a debate. My intention was to briefly describe the difficulties faced by newcomers in their quest for true Hindu dharma. They often ask "What to read? Which translation and commentary to choose? Which Hindu dharma tradition and philosophy to choose? Who is right?".
    Often they think that in their quest for true Hindu dharma it is enough just to pick out some translation and commentary and that it will solve their problem. But soon they realize that it does not solve their problem because the fact remains that there are many teachers (acaryas), many Hindu dharma traditions and their various philosophies that differ so much so that they are often even opposing to each other.
    When newcomers realize that then they become confused and wondering "Who is right? Which tradition and the commentary to choose?" ... etc. Being so confused they often remain uncommitted and can not decide for any of tradition and philosophy. So the crux of my previous post was that it is not for a newcomer enough just to choose some translation and commentary on some Hindu dharma scripture, but the answer could only be something like Lord Krishna said to Arjuna in the Bhagavad gita 10.8-13, such as

"engage in My devotional service and worship Me", "The thoughts of My pure devotees dwell in Me, their lives are fully devoted to My service"
    and then if they did so what will happen? It will happen this:

"To those who are constantly devoted to serving Me with love, I give the understanding by which they can come to Me.

To show them special mercy, I, dwelling in their hearts, destroy with the shining lamp of knowledge the darkness born of ignorance."

That was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by hinduism♥krishna View Post
    " Jiva or Atma himself is the Supreme abode or Bramh." This is the ultimate supreme knowledge . I really don't see anything higher than this truth of self.
    If you think so then let you stay well in this belief.

regards

Thread Information