Thread: Hari Hara

Hari Hara

Namaste,

Any Hari Hara fans here? I find this divine representation beautiful beyond belief.

I think it is a wonderful way to remind ourselves of the oneness of everything, and to disregard any man made ideals in any philosophy or daily endeavour that can create permenant division.

Jai Shankaranarayana!

Re: Hari Hara

Namaste

There is an article about Lord Harihara at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harihara.

Here, it seems, that the eternal form of Lord Shiva (Lord Sadāśiva, here called Hara) and the eternal form of Lord Hari (Vishnu, Narayana) appear in the form of a single deity who can be worshiped as the Supreme Lord Harihara.
    Actually scriptures tell us that there is only one Brahman who manifests itself in many personal forms which are all eternal forms of Brahman, eternal forms of the Lord. Thus we have the eternal form of Lord Sadāśiva (Sadasiva), the eternal form of Lord Narayana, the eternal form of Lord Rama, the eternal form of Lord Krishna, the eternal form of Lord Narasimha, the eternal form of Lord Varaha, ... etc. They are all this one and the same Brahman, the one and only Brahman, the one and only Supreme that appears in many different forms.
    Thus we could say that Lord Hari and Lord Hara are one and the same Brahman or The Supreme who appears as two different eternal persons in the two different eternal forms, and each looks differently and has different bodily characteristics. That's exactly what we see in the appearance of the murti (form of the deity):
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:HariHara09.jpg
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ara_statue.JPG

It is said in the Narada Purana 1.5.72:

śive ca parameśe ca viṣṇau ca paramātmani
    samabuddhyā pravarttante te vai bhāgavatāḥ smṛtāḥ

"Those who regard god Śiva the great ruler of the world, and Vishnu the Supreme Soul, with equal attitude, are indeed spoken as Bhāgavatas."

It is said that they are Bhāgavatas or bhāgavatottamāḥ, great devotees of the Lord.

regards

Re: Hari Hara

Namaste,

I too love this representation.

Before I knew about this form I found it difficult to see Vishnu more supreme than Shiva and Visa Versa, separating the two completely when I saw them as inseparable forces... So when I first came across Hari Hara it just made sense.

There's a story somewhere where Lord Shiva says that worship of him reaches Hari and worship of Hari reaches Shiva.
    Shivasya hridayam vishnur: Vishnoscha hridayam shivah

Thread Information