Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sri Saibaba Temple

Sri Saibaba Temple

Namaste,

I have come across another temple in my area that I was previously unaware of. It is called the Sri Saibaba Temple Society of Ohio: http://www.srisaimandir.org/Home.aspx. I really do not know much about the teachings of Sri Saibaba, but I am very curious and am thinking about visiting. Can anyone tell me what I might expect there?

Pranam.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Re: Sri Saibaba Temple

Namaskar Fem-Phoenix,

Synchronicity fun, I've just been to my third Sri Sai Baba temple and was about to write about it. You don't mention if you know about his teachings, if not then it's worth running a few searches.

As I understand it and from what I have seen so far, Sri Sai Baba Shirdi is worshiped as an emanation, as opposed to an avatar, of God. Temples tend to be dominated by a large central pavilion on which is seated a white marble murti of Sri Sai Baba in iconic pose. Usually Nandi is facing Him from across the Temple, and in one case a Kurma was next to Nandi. The pavilion and throne is usually marble as well, and can be circumnavigated.

The pujas and aartis I've seen would all be familiar to you, just a few words and sometimes melody are a bit different.

There appears to be more than one sect, as each temple I have been to appeared unrelated to the other, the two in this country having different names and the websites not mentioning each other, despite being in neighboring towns - and one mentioned a sister temple on the other side of the State. Here in MA, the first was more general and had icons of all of the trinity and Mata Di in many forms. The second was more Shaivite in focus, with a large Lingam and Bal Ganesha on the main pavilion, a large, lovely Sri Durga Maa in front of the pavilion, and side area containing a smaller Sri Ram Parivar and Sri Radha Krishna.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Namaste Aanandinii,

Thank you for the information. It does seem that we are on parallel paths, and whenever I have a question you have something current to share! I do not currently know much of his teachings, did a few google searches last night and following up with some reading this morning. There is lots of info out there. So is following Sai Baba a denomination of Hinduism in and of itself? It almost seems that way from what I am reading so far. If so I am wondering why it took me so long to stumble across it.

Namaste Ram116040,

So are you saying that devotees worship the man, and not the gods? Maybe that explains why I was having trouble discerning whether the temple would primarily Vishnaiva or Shaiva or other denomination. There are many pujas listed on the schedule, so I was planning on googling each one to find out more about who is being worshipped.

Pranam.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste

I don't want to spread hatred or lies but found this link is worth reading.

haribhakt.com/hindus-open-your-eyes-sai-baba-is-fake-god-exposed/
    Anirudh...

Vannakkam: My take on anything controversial is that we are all Hindus. What someone else does is really none of my business. Having this perspective leads to very few hurt feelings, although occasionally it seems like some individuals go around looking to have their feelings hurt, and no matter what you say, they get upset. In other words, they interpret your neutrality or lack of extreme enthusiasm in a negative way, because they're sensitive people.

If something doesn't make sense to me, that's my business. Others have to figure out what does or doesn't make sense to them.

We have a Shirdi Sai Baba temple in my city, but I've never been. I'm more likely to go to one that is out of town actually. I might run into somebody locally that I know, and be approached for support. Then I could hurt them if they're sensitive because that's life.

I think it's great that Fem and Aanandini are going off to several temples. How else does one learn? I look forward to more reports.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste

I don't want to spread hatred or lies but found this link is worth reading.

haribhakt.com/hindus-open-your-eyes-sai-baba-is-fake-god-exposed/

Anirudh

I dont want to fight but this post in that website is very bad. Lord Krishna is everywhere and he will be surely hurt by this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste,

I request members to forgive me if what I have expressed below hurts any individual's sentiments.

I respect every person's right to believe and worship whatever pleases him/her.

For Hindus,whom to worship and how to worship has already been told in the scriptures.

Sri Shridi Sai Baba was a great saint(probably a Sufi saint).Saints need be respected.

Om! Bhadram karnebhih s'rnuyāma devāh
    bhadram pasyemākṣabhiryajatrāh
    sthirairangaistushtuvam sastanūbhir
    vyaśema devahitam yadāyuh.

sthirairangaistushtuvam sastanūbhir
    vyaśema devahitam yadāyuh

Devas are to be worshiped not human beings.

I cannot understand why people deify some famous human beings and elevate them to the status of Devas and invent mantras and rituals.

Those of us who believe in the Veda Dharma (Vaishnavas,Shakteyas,Shaivas,Smartas etc.) must worship only Devatas.IMHO it is always better to stay away from worshiping forces that are not sanctioned by the scriptures.
    Ram

I respect you but cant agree with your comments.

Then can you let me know why we are having statues of Ramanujar,Alwars in Vaishnavas temples and worshipping them? I believe that SadGuru is Iswara in human form and we should worship them to attain liberation.Even Vedanta desikar has emphazised Guru Bhakthi more than Iswara Bhakthi.

Shridi Baba like Ramunjar was a Sad Guru and they always took care of his devotees.

Even Kanchi Parmacharya has emphazised on Guru Bhakthi:

http://www.kamakoti.org/acall/ac-gurubhakti.html
    Last edited by Who am i; 03 May 2014 at 10:42 PM.

Namaste, and thank you all for sharing your thoughts on this. I am glad that all different viewpoints are being shared, so that we may look at it from all angles.

So if I am understanding correctly, the main point of controversy regarding Sri Sai Baba is that his devotees worship him in the same manner as a devata is worshipped, or in fact they worship him as an actual god? I notice from the puja schedule on the website, that each day is dedicated to a different deity, Saibaba included. I still need to look up all of the meanings of the different pujas on the schedule though, but it looks like even on days that are dedicated to other gods Sai Baba is worhsipped at the same time.

So would I not be able to go here and worship lord Shiva, or any of the other gods being honored?

Pranam.

edit: here is the pooja schedule I am referring to: http://www.srisaimandir.org/Services...aServices.aspx
    Last edited by fem_phoenix1109; 04 May 2014 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Add pooja schedule
    Om Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste,

"I believe that SadGuru is Iswara in human form and we should worship them to attain liberation."

Guru takes the disciple closer to a Devata and guides & protects like parent does but does a guru himself grant liberation?I thought that was done by Devatas such Sri Narayana,Sri Devi and Sri Shiva etc.

Bhagavat Sri Ramanujacharya(Vishishtadvaita),Sri Shankara Bhagavatpadacharya(Advaita),Sri Madhvacharya(Dvaita),Srimad Vallabhacharya(Shuddhadvaita) are considered Gurus for a reason.They have expounded the meaning of the Vedas,Upanishads,Brahma Sutras etc.They have written extensive commentaries and proposed their own systems.They are respected, honored & remembered but not worshiped as Devatas.

We honor these great Acharyas to thank them and keep their images to remind ourselves to follow the path shown by them.

Since you have compared the said saint with Srimad Ramanujacharya, may I know if that saint had proposed a new interpretation of the Vedic scriptures?May I know his Sampradaya,his Guru-Parampara?May I know the name of his philosophy that needs to be studied on par with other interpretations of the Veda-Vedanta?

I'll repeat what I said before:

I respect every person's right to believe and worship whatever pleases him/her.

For Hindus,whom to worship and how to worship has already been told in the scriptures.

IMHO it is always better to stay away from worshiping forces that are not sanctioned by the scriptures.

P.S. Certain Agama Shastras do not permit installation of human statues as deities.

Ram

Thanks for reply.Please note i worship Ramunaja same as other SadGurus.Both are saints of highest order and practically speaking they are different avatars of same Saguna Brahman.

Shridi Sai baba is Guru of highest order (kaivalya) like Ramunjar,Sadhasiva Brahmendar,Kulandainda swamigal,Trilanga Swamigal and there is no difference between them or Lord Siva or Lord Rama.There is no way we can compare one with another.

So i believe that SadGuru can give liberation directly as there is no difference between them and Other devatas.Even Saint Raghavendra gave mukthi to his discipline( You may have heard From life history of Raghavendra).

About your queries,Shridi Sai baba followed Advaita and it is said that his Guru is Lord Dattatreya.(More details can be found on Sai Charita).I agree that Scriptures has provided lot of rules but i think many of things are not possible in Kali Yuga.

As said,im really sorry if i have hurt your feelings by any way as my intention is to share my view on this.
    Last edited by Who am i; 04 May 2014 at 09:55 PM.

Namaskar ji,

Quote Originally Posted by fem_phoenix1109 View Post
    So if I am understanding correctly, the main point of controversy regarding Sri Sai Baba is that his devotees worship him in the same manner as a devata is worshipped, or in fact they worship him as an actual god? I notice from the puja schedule on the website, that each day is dedicated to a different deity, Saibaba included. I still need to look up all of the meanings of the different pujas on the schedule though, but it looks like even on days that are dedicated to other gods Sai Baba is worhsipped at the same time.

So would I not be able to go here and worship lord Shiva, or any of the other gods being honored?
    We really do seem to be on the same path, I find it wonderful and have been very glad to 'meet' you. =)

The quick answer here is 'Depends'. With respect to Ram ji and WhoAmI ji, to most of his Devotees Sri Sai Baba is not perceived as "Human" or a SatGuru. While some call him an Avatar of Shiva, others say Shiva doesn't have Avatars but Emanations and Sri Sai Baba Shirdi is an Emanation of Shiva.

The days dedicated to specific Gods are normal for some areas of North India - Every place in India dedicates days to Gods, but I mean these specific days to these specific Gods. Sri Sai Baba would be the focus of the pujas, They may or may not have other icons or murtis. Since Sri Sai is seen as God Shiva in material form, the Day's Deity is largely worshiped through him. The last temple I went to had a Lingam and other Murtis that anyone can worship and offer to, but any arcana or puja is largely directed at Sai Baba. He is central and Nandi faces him. However, I did go to a Vishnu Temple in Hyderabad that had a large shrine to Sri Sai Baba in it, and he seemed to be worshiped more as a SatGuru there. The Temple was gorgeous.

I am not saying here that any of this is my belief, but just what I have been able to understand from my visits so far and from reading about him when I was younger. I see Sri Sai Baba as an enlightened Human, possibly a SatGuru but that's not a judgement I'm comfortable attempting to make. When I go to His Temples, I respect him as a Realized Saint and Guru of possibly the highest order, and I bow to Shiva in him as I bow to Shiva in most things. But I give my offerings and prayers to the Icons I am comfortable with, and they are always there in some form or another for those that wish them - sometimes central and sometimes not.

Some of the contention around Sri Sai Baba is that He was a Universalist. He was far beyond tolerance and entirely inclusive, pointing out the similar core doctrines between Sanatana Dharma and Abarhamic faiths, reputed by some to have mixed worship rituals and practiced a little of all. I honor efforts to bring people together in peace, but some seem take the message to be that the two root religions are so alike as to be almost the same. That is something I don't personally agree with, though I do agree with EM ji and WhoAMI ji that "To each his/her own". =) We each experience God differently.

I would encourage you to go, at least once.
    This became an interesting conversation. Thank you all for expressing your thoughts.

~Pranams
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Thread Information