Thread: friend of 'mind'

friend of 'mind'

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

If one understands the nature of the mind it lives for activity... for movement, motion. Thought after thought, coming from an endless well. Some thoughts we pay attention to , others not so much. Yet this mind just loves to be busy ; the subject is not important.

Enter technology and the iphone, ipad, i(__ fill in the blank), the android list of devices the black-and-blue berry, the watch band, wrist band, etc. etc.

All these devices is just what the mind revels in. It never has to be quiet. It never has to just stop , because there is always a text message one can read or one can send. There is always 'news' to look at. There is always a game that can be played.
    All this technology ( thinks the mind) is just a god-send. I never have to be quiet again. I will ALWAYs have something to do. I will always be relevant. Never will I Have to worry about going away.

iti śiva
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: friend of 'mind'

Hari Om

Namaste

Thank you Yajvanji. This is a good reminder to me. Confession. Have embarked last couple of years on endeavor that was in part inspired by you, Yajvanji. With this endeavor now have smart phone, facebook, twitter, etc. Also have a blackberry to go with other phone. From first social network being HDF, to now all of this. A noble endeavor, self corrupted at times. At times am delving into these things you speak of, not as part of dharma, but for things you mention and hint of.

Think your warning is so important and good reminder once again. This "stuff" can be a tool/resource, or can help enslave more of mind by choice, versus realising or working on freeing the fetters, which also is choice. Think paying heed to your warnings are good things to help refocus the focus. Focus can so easily be lost with this "stuff".

Can not articulate how so much am grateful for the grace of this Jiva being granted the boon of Sadhana.

Om Namah Shivaya

FFTW

Namaste Yajvan Ji,

Thank you for your thought inspiring posting; for one who is currently being ordained by their bank, to buy a mobile phone. This thought rather appeals to my "apparent" disposition.

The lengths to which mind will go to avoid "that" by way of the diversion of "this", is extraordinary; always in the driving seat ... At least it would appear. If it were that we add advertising to this thought, then we have an interesting conundrum: Is the road is now driving us?

Kind regards.

Namaste,

All of that said; I have just seen a rather attractive astronomical watch ...
    Though it does not give the panchānga.

Kind regards.

Namaskar Yajvan ji,

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    All this technology ( thinks the mind) is just a god-send. I never have to be quiet again. I will ALWAYs have something to do. I will always be relevant. Never will I Have to worry about going away.
    ... until the power goes out.

Apologies for the irreverence. I do sometimes look around me and wonder what will happen when the power does go out for any profound length of time. There was an astronaut making some interesting predictions about this recently.
    It seems to me we are beginning to rely far too much on our machines and may be in for a reckoning. Very little has hard copy backups anymore, as if we assume there will always be electricity to run computers, processors and hard drives from now on. It's probably irony that I am commenting on this on a webforum through a gaming laptop.
    Maybe I'm just getting old.

To your point though, it may only be a matter of time before the friend of mind is not available... The mind will need to find other things to keep itself active.
    Thank you for a good reminder. =)

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Thread Information