Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VISHNU SAHASRANAMA- BIG DOUBT

Exclamation VISHNU SAHASRANAMA- BIG DOUBT

Namaste,

I often hear contradicting information about Sri Vishnu Sahasranama.Some people say SVS is a mantra and must be chanted with dhyana,nyasa,mudra etc. and many others say there are no restrictions, even women can chant SVS.Which is true?Is it a mantra or not a mantra?Can everybody chant it or should one undergo any special initiation?Can women chant it?Please give authoritative responses and kindly clear my doubt.Thank you.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Re: VISHNU SAHASRANAMA- BIG DOUBT

Vannakkam Ram: This situation is typical of many. There are several opinions presented, each perhaps claiming to be 'authoritative' yet contradictory in nature. So its left up to the individual devotee to decide. Personally, I have no opinion on it.

I hope you are able to decide.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste,

I often hear contradicting information about Sri Vishnu Sahasranama.Some people say SVS is a mantra and must be chanted with dhyana,nyasa,mudra etc. and many others say there are no restrictions, even women can chant SVS.Which is true?Is it a mantra or not a mantra?Can everybody chant it or should one undergo any special initiation?Can women chant it?Please give authoritative responses and kindly clear my doubt.Thank you.
    Vishnu Sahasranama is recorded in the smriti literature of Itihasa, Mahabharata in this case, and some Puranas. It is said that everyone can recite Itihasas and Puranas, including women and even shudras.
    Vishnu Sahasranama consists of the holy names of Lord Vishnu. It is also said that there are no regulations that regulate recitation of the holy names of the Lord,
    so that the holy names can be pronounced without any additional actions or rules.

regards

Namaste,

Thank you for the responses.
    I like the version sung by MS Amma.

Her voice is divine.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste Ram

[ even women can chant]

What is the difference between women and men? Why this attitude towards women? Also as much i understand Manu Neethi is not for Kali Yug.

Also can you clarify whether Maa Seetha or Maa Parvati are women.

If they are women do they listen to Mantra when their respective consorts are invoked.
    Anirudh...

Namaste,

I saw on a Vaishnava website that women must not chant SVS since it is considered a mantra by Vaishnava Acharyas.
    Personally I feel women should be allowed to chant.

EDIT:I think it would be appropriate for women to practice as suggested by their own Sampradaya Acharyas.
    Last edited by Ram11; 05 May 2014 at 11:39 PM.

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste,

I saw on a Vaishnava website that women must not chant SVS since it is considered a mantra by Vaishnava Acharyas.
    Personally I feel women should be allowed to chant.
    Srimad Bhagavatam 1.4.24-25:
    http://vedabase.net/sb/1/4/24/en
    http://vedabase.net/sb/1/4/25/en

"Thus the great sage Vyāsadeva, who is very kind to the ignorant masses, edited the Vedas so they might be assimilated by less intellectual men.

Out of compassion, the great sage thought it wise that this would enable men to achieve the ultimate goal of life. Thus he compiled the great historical narration called the Mahābhārata for women, laborers (shudras) and friends of the twice-born."

Vishnu Sahasranama is located in the Mahabharata, so why women should not recite Vishnu Sahasranama?
    Is there any reason why they should not recite it?
    Even if in the Itihasas and Puranas there is some mantra or anything else, everyone can recite it.

regards

Namaste

All I know is what I have observed practiced at Hindu temples and homes here in California, and related temples and homes in India, and here there are devotees of Vithoba Vitalla Panduranga, and in India there is the Vithoba temple, Pandharpur.

Here these devotees and their Swamis, have everyone chant with no restrictions, women, low caste or no caste, there are no restrictions only encouragement.

Of side note to SVS, but on the theme of restrictions of different sorts, at Pandharpur all the devotees are allowed to touch the feet of the idol of Vithoba.... There is a presence of devotees of The Lord of Pandharpur in Oakland California. Vitalla Vithoba of the Varkari and Haridasa sampradayas consider Lord Panduranga Vithobha also known as Vitalla as a svarupa emanation (verse avatar) and there are many Vaishnavs who have Lord Vitalla, Whose name literally means "Accepts All", as Number Nine of the Dasavatars. Accepting all, reflects the practice of SVS open to all among famous traditions.

So from my observation, authority teaches that SVS is accepted from all, there are no restrictions such as caste, no caste, women, nothing like that.

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste

I wasn't interested to derail the thread. The tone of the question posed in OP was bit harsh on women (without whom men can't take birth).

Without taking birth We can't burn our Karma and without burning that we don't attain Moksha. So We are eternally dependant on our women folks to reach our final destination.

I want to reason out whether women are barred from reading any portion of scriptures (including vedas). I seek the help of learned members to clarify that. If the answer is yes kind elucidate why?

Many question arise in my mind so if OP feels I am deviating will post my questions in a separate thread.
    Anirudh...

Vannakkam: I find it odd that in any discussion where gender is involved, reincarnation tends to be (conveniently?) forgotten. Since souls are genderless, we all are as equally likely (may depend on karma) to be born in either gender.

So in essence any chauvinistic or sexist attitude shown by either gender is suggesting that the individual has failed to cognise reincarnation fully.

For the record, I thought the OP's question was innocent enough based on confusion from listening to different sources.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information