Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: difference b/w hinduism and sanatan dharma

1. difference b/w hinduism and sanatan dharma

namaste

recently i was searching for videos on Hinduism and other religions,their similarities and differences.In a particular video a non-Hindu preacher trying to convince people to convert to his religion questioned a Hindu that "what is your religion" he answered "i am a hindu".
    To this the preacher replied that hindu or hinduism is no religion at all it is just a geographical categorization.
    So my basic question is that is it true?
    if yes then why major portion of "hindu" people say they are hindu and if not than what is the difference in santan dharam and hinduism ?

har har mahadev !!

Re: difference b/w hinduism and sanatan dharma

Quote Originally Posted by parteeksharma View Post
    namaste

recently i was searching for videos on Hinduism and other religions,their similarities and differences.In a particular video a non-Hindu preacher trying to convince people to convert to his religion questioned a Hindu that "what is your religion" he answered "i am a hindu".
    To this the preacher replied that hindu or hinduism is no religion at all it is just a geographical categorization.
    So my basic question is that is it true?
    if yes then why major portion of "hindu" people say they are hindu and if not than what is the difference in santan dharam and hinduism ?

har har mahadev !!

Hindu is not only geographical categorization. It is Dharma also. It is the dharma of Arya who are living in Bharatavarsha or Aryavarta. Bharatavarsha has a very close relation with Arya or Hindu rather they are inseparable. So it's both - geographical & the dharma.

Hindu's Dharma have total four names that hindus alternatively use to describe their Dharma. Sanatana, Vaidika, Arya and Hindu by these names they mention their Dharma which is based on Veda. So No difference between Sanatana and Hinduism as they are alternative names of the same dharma. In fact, Hindus generally simply say Dharma only.

Below is a thread which you should read to know about Hindu's true origin..

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3462

Last edited by Eastern Mind; 06 May 2014 at 07:18 AM. Reason: got rif of 'mleccha

Vannakkam Parteek:

There is a lot of debate on the matter, but for all intents and purposes without going into the many arguments, Hinduism and Sanatana Dharma, in this modern world are taken as the same thing by 98% of the people.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

What is the difference between Sanatana dharma and Hinduism?

I would like to offer a very simple answer to that question. The difference is that the term Sanatana Dharma is mentioned in the scriptures and therefore refers to what scriptures teach, whereas Hinduism is a term that refers to how people accept and understand the teaching of the scriptures.
    There discrepancies arise because the scriptures teach that what they teach, but people understand it in many different ways. Hence the difference.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by brahma jijnasa View Post
    Namaste The difference is that the term Sanatana Dharma is mentioned in the scriptures and therefore refers to what scriptures teach,

Kindly accept my PranAm

In scriptures, Sanatana Dharma is used for very few times and that too to indicate our everyday's duty. Scriptures uses Arya dharma more times. However it doesn't mean Arya Dharma is the name of Dharma. Arya Dharma means the dharma of Aryas or Hindus and Sanatana dharma means the dharma that gives us Sanatana existence.

And what name has anything to do with what scriptures teach?

whereas Hinduism is a term that refers to how people accept and understand the teaching of the scriptures.
    May I know how? I don't know who uses hinduism to refer that.

There discrepancies arise because the scriptures teach that what they teach, but people understand it in many different ways. Hence the difference.
    So there is hinduism when someone misunderstands the true teachings of scriptures. First time I've seen such absurd definition.

regards
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 05 May 2014 at 10:27 PM.

6. Re: difference b/w hinduism and sanatan dharma

namaste

thanks for pointing me to the right direction will ask follow up questions after going through the thread.
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 06 May 2014 at 07:19 AM. Reason: mlechha response
    har har mahadev !!

Namaste,

We speak of the "Hindu religion", but the religion denoted by the term did not in fact have such a name originally. According to some, the word "Hindu" means "love"; according to some others a Hindu is one who disapproves of himsa or violence. This may be an ingenious way of explaining the word.

In none of our ancient sastras does the term "Hindu religion" occur. The name "Hindu" was given to us by foreigners. People from the West came to our land across the Sindhu river which they called "Indus" or "Hind" and the land adjacent to it by the name "India". The religion of this land came to be called "Hindu". The name of a neighbouring country is sometimes applied to the land adjacent to it.
    Source: The Religion without a Name

Sanatan means, eternal, permanent, unchanging. So sanatan dharma means 'the eternal religion'.

Today, as EM ji said, Hindu and Sanatan dharma are used interchangeably. What matters is how you live, what is your goal of life ad not the label applied to you. It is said that Hinduism is a way of life and the final goal is moksha

OM
    Last edited by Amrut; 06 May 2014 at 06:38 AM. Reason: added last line
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste Prateek,

1. Hinduism
    "Hindu" comes from Sanskrit "Indu", and means "Indian".
    So, Hinduism means: "Indianness".
    Therefore, Hinduism includes not only the religious practises of Indians but also their culture (food, dress, art, etc), social issues and politics as well.
    Hindutva is defined to be same as Indian-nationalism (many of its proponents were/ are atheists, as a matter of fact).
    The word "Hindu" is, not surprisingly, getting merged (rather, vanishing) into "India" already. We have, for example in recent times, a trendy slogan "India First" given by the Hindutvavādins.

2. Sanātana Dharma
    It is a trendy word put in practice mainly by market oriented gurus who went to the West and wanted to universality and therefore "eternal-ness" of their product. Basically, as an address of someone or something, it is a non-word. Somewhat more hilarious is, "Sanatana Dharmi".
    Dharmi? Really?

3. Ārya and Bhārata
    Ārya and Bhārata are words used as the addresses of people who discovered the Vedic Way. For example, Bhārata were the people under whose tutelage Veda-s were composed. These two words can be used interchangeably, and both are an address of an Āstika, i.e. a bhakta of a Vedic/Purānic Devatā.

Ārya and Bhārata are spiritual types leading material and mental progresses of mankind, respectively. So there is subtle difference between the meaning of the two. Overall, both address the Āstika in general.

Similarly, Dharma (literally, "holding-on-to") can be more specifically, ĀryaDharma (Ārya Way) or BhārataDharma (Bhārata Way), depending on the context. Overall, it is, just, Dharma.

I do not, infact, hope that I made myself clear. Anyway
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by hinduism♥krishna View Post
    In scriptures, Sanatana Dharma is used for very few times and that too to indicate our everyday's duty. Scriptures uses Arya dharma more times. However it doesn't mean Arya Dharma is the name of Dharma. Arya Dharma means the dharma of Aryas or Hindus and Sanatana dharma means the dharma that gives us Sanatana existence.

And what name has anything to do with what scriptures teach?
    I see no essential difference between the words Arya and Sanatana Dharma.
    If you like you can see it differently.

May I know how? I don't know who uses hinduism to refer that.
    Every one.

So there is hinduism when someone misunderstands the true teachings of scriptures. First time I've seen such absurd definition.
    I did not say that people who differently understand teaching of the scriptures misunderstood these scriptures. I only said "people understand it in many different ways. Hence the difference."
    And now about the people who really did that, the people who misunderstood teaching of the Hindu dharma scriptures. On my list of such people you are located in the place number 1!
    You can be sure about that.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by brahma jijnasa View Post
    Hence the difference."
    And now about the people who really did that, the people who misunderstood teaching of the Hindu dharma scriptures. On my list of such people you are located in the place number 1!
    Namaste Brahma Jijanasa.

Two quotes of ShriKrishna are sufficient

"Those that constantly chant the four Vedas and read other religious works and yet fail to realize “I am that Brahman”, they are like the spoons that are used for every cooking operation, but yet remain without a single taste of the foods they prepare."

"As an hungry person imply wastes his energy in vain when he strikes the air with blows for food, so also a reader of the Vedas and others Sastras simply wastes his time and energy, if, not withstanding his study, he fails to realize that “I am Brahman”."

And plus my SIGNATURE which is the Mahavakya of Bhagavata Purana defeating misunderstandings
    Hari On!

Thread Information