Thread: Goddess Mantras

Goddess Mantras

Hello,
    I am new to the study of Hinduism, meditation, and the use of mantras. As I start upon this path, I find myself drawn to the various forms of the Goddess.
    I have a picture of Lakshmi that I rest my eyes on during meditation. Is it inappropriate/ineffective to use mantras addressing other forms of Adi Parashakti such as Saraswati or Durga while gazing upon this picture or am I free to use any mantras evoking and invoking the Goddess within my consciousness?
    Are there any mantras that you reccomend/like addressing Lakshmi?

Thank you. Peace.

Re: Goddess Mantras

Namaste Ciel Fleur,

I must as always claim no special knowledge or expertise, only my own
    perspective as a Shakta, take my words as only that, no more and no less.

As you are newly drawn to Devi, it is understandable that such a question
    may arise; while She certainly would not punish you for reciting a mantra
    meant for a different form than the murti you are contemplating, this is not
    going to produce meaningful results- hence She probably nudged you to ask this question

A suggested course of action would be to ask within whether it is indeed
    Her form as Sri Lakshmi that you are being drawn toward; She will answer
    you, one way or another. I am assuming you as of now do not have a guru
    or particular sampradaya you are following- in such circumstances, it is
    wise to proceed slowly and gently, and to continue to ask Devi Herself to
    help guide your way.

There are of course mantras specific to Sri Lakshmi, as there are for every
    form of Devi- but there are those that are only meant to be given, and
    those which are "OK" for anyone. Remember, there is no rush- it is said
    that for every step you take toward Her, She will take three steps closer
    to you

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Namaste

Good question,good answer.
    Some more questions.

Parvati Devi,Lakshmi Devi & Saraswati Devi,are they three different deities or just one Great Goddess appeared in three different forms?

Is worshiping one Devi different from worshiping an other Devi,
    should we worship all the three Shaktis individually?

Is it better if we have icons of the three Goddesses in our Puja place or is an image of any one Devi sufficient to worship the three Devis?

Thank you.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Cool Re: Goddess Mantras

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel_Fleur View Post
    Hello,
    I am new to the study of Hinduism, meditation, and the use of mantras. As I start upon this path, I find myself drawn to the various forms of the Goddess.
    I have a picture of Lakshmi that I rest my eyes on during meditation. Is it inappropriate/ineffective to use mantras addressing other forms of Adi Parashakti such as Saraswati or Durga while gazing upon this picture or am I free to use any mantras evoking and invoking the Goddess within my consciousness?
    Are there any mantras that you reccomend/like addressing Lakshmi?

Thank you. Peace.

Sri Matre Namaha,

I go with what JaiMaaDurga had said. Decide on the form of Goddess that you are more drawn towards and chant the name alone for sometime. It could be for days, months or years. Goddess Herself will guide you through some medium. If you are the blessed one, She would shower her blessings directly on you.

If you are unable to chose One, then chant the Naama Mantra 'Om Sree Maatre Namaha' alone so that you could get the required clarity.

Regards,
    Ramesh
    Sivoham

That, which is the cause for the entire Cosmos to be as it is, is Mahamaya the divine player.

Rameeshh

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste

Good question,good answer.
    Some more questions.

Parvati Devi,Lakshmi Devi & Saraswati Devi,are they three different deities or just one Great Goddess appeared in three different forms?

Is worshiping one Devi different from worshiping an other Devi,
    should we worship all the three Shaktis individually?

Is it better if we have icons of the three Goddesses in our Puja place or is an image of any one Devi sufficient to worship the three Devis?

Thank you.
    Sri Matre Namaha,

I think you pretty much know the answers to your question/s. You have used words like One Great Goddess and Three Shaktis in your post. In your other posts, you said that Devi and Narayana are the obverse and the reverse of the same coin. If you know so much about Devi to the extent of understanding the Tatwa, how is it that you have a question of this kind to ask?

Regards,
    Ramesh
    Last edited by kriyarameeshh; 07 May 2014 at 12:50 PM.
    Sivoham

That, which is the cause for the entire Cosmos to be as it is, is Mahamaya the divine player.

Rameeshh

Namaste

I understand that there is one Brahman that has taken many forms but I do not know much about Mantra Shastra and Shakteya Devi Upasana.I do not know if we can use hymns of different Devis for one image.

I'm like a student and not an expert.I think it is good to know from learned members and always better to correct my views if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Ram11; 10 May 2014 at 08:18 PM.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste

I understand that there is one Brahman that has taken many forms but I do not know much about Mantra Shastra and Shakteya Devi Upasana.I do not know if we can use hyms of different Devis for one image.

I'm like a student and not an expert.I think it is good to know from learned members and always better to correct my views if I'm wrong.
    Sri Matre Namaha,

Mother is ever satisfied and blissful. She is noway in need of our worship and prayers. She would accept our worship done to Saraswathi in lakshmi image or Viceversa. But the thing to remember here is, do you feel satisfied that you have worshiped Saraswathi when you have actually worshipped the image of Lakshmi. If yes, then it is OK to worship several devi forms in one image. Even if you have small doubt somewhere, that you have actually not worshiped Saraswathi, then you need to follow the Murthi Bheda. This explanation is philosophical and is in spiritual sense.

If you worship Mother with a worldly desire say job, studies etc... then you need to follow Murthi bheda to get meaningful results.

If you are doing Mantra Japa, you need not have an image Specific to the Mantra. You can visualize the Mantra Devata in your heart as per the Dhyana Sloka and offer all your poojas to Him/Her. This method is the best and would produce results very quickly.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Ramesh
    Sivoham

Rameeshh

Absolutely not. It is only devotees in the lowest rung of spirituality who differentiate between the forms and aspects of the goddess.Now this might sound cliche, but this, if realized with both spirit and intelligence,takes you to the supreme destination.

Now to clear the basic confusion i will elaborate further

1)Sarasvatis beeja is AIM What is AIM??? It is the counterpart of AUM.. AUM=A+OO+M AIM=A+EE+M
    So OO represents purusha/substratum while EE represents shakti or the force
    So AIM is the mantra for adi shakti herself
    So does this mean AIM can be used only for sarasvati?? NO because AIM is used in literally every goddess mantra!
    eg Lakshmi mantra is AIM SHREEM HREEM KLEEM KAMALAVAASINYAI SWAHA

Second AIM is also Matangis beeja mantra.

Third AIM when added to a mantra increases the force of concentration on the mantra example when we use the famous AIM HREEM KLEEM. This AIM concentrates the energies of both HREEM AND KLEEM

2)Shreem- Shreem is the beeja of devi lakshmi but shreem is one of the few mantras where the name and the mantra are the same. Because Lakshmis vedic name was SHREE. Shreem increases sattva gura or the mode of purity/goodness. So it can be used to invoke any benefic energy of the goddess not just Lakshmi
    The best example is the sodashi mantra KA E EE LA HREEM HASAKAHALA HREEM SAKALA HREEM SHREEM
    the last letter shreem converts the panchadasi to shodashakshari mantra of goddess sundari

3)Hreem- Hreem is the shakta equivalent of OM . It is the basic mantra for the goddess especially goddess Parvati. Parvati svayamvara mantra states that as a child when parvati used to play,the sound of her anklets revealed HREEM to the great sage durvasa.
    Hreem is also used for goddess Bhuvaneshwari. But you see hreem in virtually every goddess mantra
    eg sarasvati mantra :Aim hreem saum sarasvatyai namaha

lakshmi :Aim hreem shreem kleem kamalavaasinyai namah

Durga: Aim Hreem Kleem chamundaayyai vicche

Hreem opens the heart chakra hence adds power to the overall mantra
    eg in AIM HREEM KLEEM Hreem is the one which invokes divine warmth and increases power aspect of aim and kleem

4)Kleem is the sound of love and magnetism
    It is the sound of Parvati as sundari and also MahaKali
    When we add kleem we attract any diety not just parvati

eg in aim hreem kleem mantra kleem draws the energies of aim and hreem to you. it makes you a magnet where aim and hreem can easily enter

Hope this clears up your confusion.

Also my sincere advice is to worship LORD GANESHA first. He is like a switch who takes us to His mother Shakti,. Without worshipping Ganesha you can never get the feet of Shakti. He manifested as the son of Shakti just to take us to Her. Just add his beej mantra GAM to every mantra you chant. And see the results multiplying manifold

And regarding your question with regards to an effective mantra of Lordess LAKSHMI.
    Mantras work differently according to the intention,consciousness,concentration and karma.
    But still if you insist the best mantra that worked for me is

om Gam Shreem hreem kleem shreeeyyai swaha

this is a personal mantra revealed to me by my guru but since Lakshmi is sattvic and pure her mantras can be used by anyone so i gave it to you.

It has to be repeated for a minimum of 5000 times per day and maximum of 10000 times.

I did the 5000 times a day and opportunities started flowing after the sixth day.
    Also make sure you worship ganesha before it and offer Lakshmis picture some sweet,incense and ghee lamp
    One more thing. A mantra first destroys negative karma. so you might experience something bad in the first week. Be assured that the mantra is working and you are in a cleansing mode

And please tell me your experiences.

Sarvam shreeganeshaarpanamastu

Thread Information