Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb questions: Chanting Hare Krishna and believing in Shankara?

1. Dumb questions: Chanting Hare Krishna and believing in Shankara?

Namaste,

can one chant Hare Krishna and at the same time study Shankara's philosophy? Or is one obliged to a tradition (such as, for example, Gaudiya Vaishnava), with the "obligation" to accept the whole package?

Hoping for insights ...

Re: Dumb questions: Chanting Hare Krishna and believing in Shankara?

Of course you can chant Hare Krishna mantra while following Advaita.Adi Shankara himself composed many Sri Krishna stutits like Krishnashtakam and Bhaja Govindam.
    "Only one is the fire,which is inflamed in numerous ways.Only one is the sun, which pervades the whole universe.Only one is the dawn,which illuminates all things. Similarly,all that exists is The One and it has manifested into everything here.”

~ Rg Veda 8.58.2

Namaste

Do Gaudiya Vasihnava/ISKCON members receive the 16 worded "Hare Krishna Hare Rama....." or do they get a different mantra from their gurus?
    If it is a mantra from an Upanishad(Vedic scripture) then it wouldn't be sung,right?But I've seen in ISKCON temples they sing this as a Bhajan daily?Kindly clear my doubt.

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosinuskurve View Post
    Namaste,

can one chant Hare Krishna and at the same time study Shankara's philosophy? Or is one obliged to a tradition (such as, for example, Gaudiya Vaishnava), with the "obligation" to accept the whole package?

Hoping for insights ...
    Namaste,

Yes you can

http://www.namadwaar.org/articles/ma..._abhinava.html
    http://www.namadwaar.org/articles/mahans/bodendral.html

Kanchi Paramacharya also stressed on bhakti.

Final destination is always GYAna. But the path can be different, yOga, bhakti, vedic karmakand or even tantra.

Madhusudan Saraswati was a Krishna bhakta and an advaitin
    Sridhar Swami was a Rama bhakta and an advaitin
    Upanishad Brahma-yogin was Rama bhakta and an advaitin
    Appya Dikshita was a Shiva bhakta and an Advaitin
    Sant GYAneSvara (Jnaneshwar) was a Krishna bhakta / Vishnu / Panduranga Bhakta and an Advaitin. He also believed in Yoga, as taught by Nath sampradAya.

I do not think that to chant the mantra you need to be a Gaudiya Vaishnav.

OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste

Do Gaudiya Vasihnava/ISKCON members receive the 16 worded "Hare Krishna Hare Rama....." or do they get a different mantra from their gurus?
    If it is a mantra from an Upanishad(Vedic scripture) then it wouldn't be sung,right?But I've seen in ISKCON temples they sing this as a Bhajan daily?Kindly clear my doubt.
    Namste,

I can answer half question.

This mantra is from Kali Santarana Upanishad, one of the 108 upanishad. There are mixed opinion about it's authenticity.

It describes about this mantra and that there are no rules as to who and when this mantra can be chanted.

One can sing this mantra in group.

OM

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Yes, Gaudiya vaishnavas accept Hare Krishna maha mantra from their guru.

A few days ago I told you that anyone can chant the holy names of the Lord, even shudras can do it. There are no restrictions in this regard.
    It does not matter in which scripture, shruti or smriti, the holy names are located. You know, the holy names are just the holy names, no matter where they are recorded.
    Hare Krishna maha mantra consists of 16 holy names of the Lord: Hare, Krishna and Rama. These 3 holy names of the Lord -- Hare, Krishna and Rama -- can be found in both shruti and smriti scriptures.

regards

Namaste Amrut
    Quote Originally Posted by Amrut View Post
    This mantra is from Kali Santarana Upanishad, one of the 108 upanishad. There are mixed opinion about it's authenticity.
    Even if someone thinks that Kalisantarana Upanishad is of dubious origin, still the fact remains that
    Hare Krishna maha mantra consists of just 3 holy names of the Lord -- Hare, Krishna and Rama -- which can be found in many scriptures. So does not really matter is Kalisantarana Upanishad true or fake Upanishad.

In fact Gaudiya vaishnava authors in their numerous books quoted Hare Krishna maha mantra from many Smriti scriptures, Puranas, etc. However something happened and in the extant versions of these scriptures that mantra literally and explicitly almost can not be found.

regards

Namaste

I thank you all for the answers.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by brahma jijnasa View Post
    Namaste Amrut

Even if someone thinks that Kalisantarana Upanishad is of dubious origin, still the fact remains that
    Hare Krishna maha mantra consists of just 3 holy names of the Lord -- Hare, Krishna and Rama -- which can be found in many scriptures. So does not really matter is Kalisantarana Upanishad true or fake Upanishad.

In fact Gaudiya vaishnava authors in their numerous books quoted Hare Krishna maha mantra from many Smriti scriptures, Puranas, etc. However something happened and in the extant versions of these scriptures that mantra literally and explicitly almost can not be found.

regards
    Namaste BJ,

I agree. There are also many westerners, mostly from British East India company and members of Asiatic Society, who created this trend to look shastras with a suspicious eye. Also as time passes certain things fade away or get corrupted. e.g. when Adi Sankara wrote Gita commentary, his commentary got very popular earlier commentaries may not be preserved well and may have got extinct.

Advaitins also consider this mantra as genuine and hence I gave links which showed the view of acharyas associated with Shankara math.

OM

Quote Originally Posted by Cosinuskurve View Post
    Namaste,

Hoping for insights
    I think chanting god's names is not copyrighted to any sect. So no question of whole package as you said.
    Almost all advaitians are worshipers of God, mainly of Krishna and Shiva. They too sing Bhajan, glory the names and acts of Bhagavan. They worship Bhagavan in oneness with the God because oneness only is the true worship of Bhagavan Vishnu. Advaitians follow Bhakti prescribed in Sruti & Smruti.

"That is my Atma. In this way one should worship God" ( B. U. 2.5.19)

" Those who worship God thinking I'm another, he's another, doesn't know. He's like an animal " ( B.U. 1.4.10 )

" All insults those who see the self different from everything " (B.U. 2.4.6)

" Samata (Oneness) alone is the true worship of Vishnu" ( Vishnu Purana 1.17.90)

" This world is the manifestation of SarvaBhuta Vishnu. So Dnyani should see this world or Vishnu indifferent from the self" ( Vishnu Purana 1.17.84 )
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 06 July 2014 at 06:25 AM.
    Hari On!

Thread Information